Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - I'm thinking you are being a bit defensive.

If you'll actually read my post you'll notice I never called you a fool. I presented the definition of a fool and it was directed at how students are being taught in public schools. The secular teaching principles have created a generation of self-centered students with no understanding of the beliefs of others.

Todays mantra seems to be "My way or the highway."
If you say so. Why bother to use the reference at all if you did not intend it for the person you quoted?

Old 01-22-2014, 01:36 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,058,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWilliams View Post
First, because it does not fit the requirements to be taught in a science class.
Oh, I said science class? Hm...

Quote:
Second, because if you start teaching one religious idea, then you have to teach them all. Otherwise you are forcing students to learn about a specific religion which violates the Constitution.
I agree w/ your later comment about social studies.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 PM

614 posts, read 767,010 times
I think this thread must be real close to getting locked or moved.
But, in case it isn't I'll weigh in again.

Evolution: a theory. Back when I was a kid dinosaurs were 20 million years ago. Then they found a new knuckle or bone shard and it moved back. Then a new time line was developed and it moved back. Then a new carbon dating machine was introduced and they moved it back a few more million years. It is a theory and a moving target. It can't be proved. Isn't science suposed to be something that can be proved?

Creation: The bible. Back when I was a kid the earth was created in 6 days. It still is. Back when I was a kid in court if you had a witness or written proof it was a fact. It still is. The bible is witnessed, and proved. Every new scientific discovery just proves the bible even more.

The more we remove God from our lives and culture the farther this country slips away from us. It is so sad to see. I am just thankful that I managed to raise to fine kids that have turned into strong Christian young adults. ( who got to take field trips to Cooks while in grade school)

Old 01-22-2014, 03:04 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,036,806 times
Anyone got that animated gif of the man in the tophat beating the dead horse?

Edited to add: Found it.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
...The creationists are trying to force their beliefs on all of us when they come up with a "science" museum that is a display for religious ideas...
I drove by that museum and no one "forced" me to go inside, so I'm not sure how "The creationists" are forcing anything on me. To effectively function in today's society you need to have a world view, accept that we are not all the same, and realize we don't all have to adhere to your interpretation of the First Amendment.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I drove by that museum and no one "forced" me to go inside, so I'm not sure how "The creationists" are forcing anything on me. To effectively function in today's society you need to have a world view, accept that we are not all the same, and realize we don't all have to adhere to your interpretation of the First Amendment.
You can drive by and go in if you wish. You may take your children.

Students from a public school should not be put on buses and taken there on school time if the museum will have exhibits that have religious themes. It would be just like taking them to church to listen to a sermon about creation.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
Isn't science supposed to be something that can be proved?

No, science is something that can be disproved. It is falsifiable. Find one bit of evidence that disagrees with the Theory of evolution and you can disprove it. No one has been able to do that. new evidence just keeps accumulating to support it. The discovery of genetics helps to solidify all the preceding evidence.

Science also accepts that what we know changes as the technology improves with which we make observations and develop evidence. Refining the evidence for evolution does nothing except solidify the Theory.

Creationism is not falsifiable. It is taken on faith. It has no scientific evidence to support it. Teach it at church, not in the science classroom.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 PM

165 posts, read 212,072 times
Quote:
Isn't science suposed to be something that can be proved?
That statement is a great example of what's wrong with a culture that permits, even champions, a "Cook museum of natural science that has the mission to...educate visitors...about the natural, created world."

Understanding what science is, and isn't, should be a cornerstone--a secular cornerstone, that is--of public education in Northern Alabama. (Education is also supposed to teach individuals how to spell).

Quote:
The more we remove God from our lives and culture the farther this country slips away from us.
That statement doesn't really belong in a thread about a local museum; it might fit better in a Christian forum (or maybe an Islamic forum, Buddhist forum, or flying spaghetti monster forum).

Old 01-23-2014, 08:17 AM

339 posts, read 629,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Students from a public school should not be put on buses and taken there on school time if the museum will have exhibits that have religious themes. It would be just like taking them to church to listen to a sermon about creation.
I'm not trying to be rude, but have you ever been to that museum? As I said earlier I have a keen religious detector (as does my wife) and neither of us can remember any religious themed exhibits at the museum.

Quote:
Creation: The bible. Back when I was a kid the earth was created in 6 days. It still is. Back when I was a kid in court if you had a witness or written proof it was a fact. It still is. The bible is witnessed, and proved. Every new scientific discovery just proves the bible even more.
To you it's a fact. To me it's a fictional book, likely with some basis in truth but not completely true. I compare it to Forrest Gump - some of it is real but a lot is made up.

You are well within your Constitutional right to believe that and preach it to anyone you want. However, no government school can teach one religious theory without teaching them all. This belongs in the Great Debates forum though, not here.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWilliams View Post
I'm not trying to be rude, but have you ever been to that museum? As I said earlier I have a keen religious detector (as does my wife) and neither of us can remember any religious themed exhibits at the museum.

To you it's a fact. To me it's a fictional book, likely with some basis in truth but not completely true. I compare it to Forrest Gump - some of it is real but a lot is made up.

You are well within your Constitutional right to believe that and preach it to anyone you want. However, no government school can teach one religious theory without teaching them all. This belongs in the Great Debates forum though, not here.
I have based my opinion on this:

"This small but informative museum was founded by Cook's Pest Control. The displays focus on wildlife found in Alabama, but some feature more exotic specimens. Most importantly, everything is presented from a creationist perspective, so you can enjoy fossilized ammonites and mastodon teeth without being worried by evolutionism or long age propaganda. Some displays even have Scripture verses to accompany them."

Cook's Natural Science Museum, Decatur, AL - Creation Conversations

Apparently the OP is concerned, too, or we would not have the thread.

Does the museum not present the viewpoint of young age creationism? If there are no religious references and it does not espouse such nonsense as fossils being only 6000 years old, I would have no quarrel with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area