Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:08 PM

165 posts, read 211,806 times

Advertisements

At a press conference today, Cook's pest control described a new museum in downtown Decatur. For a region that thrives on real science and technology, this could be embarrassing.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarLittle View Post
At a press conference today, Cook's pest control described a new museum in downtown Decatur. For a region that thrives on real science and technology, this could be embarrassing.
Why do you say that? Do you think it will be a creationist's view of science? I didn't see anything that suggested that in the story you linked.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I'm not sure where you are coming from either? Bugs aren't pseudoscience. I don't think they even have pseudopods.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,678 times
Yeah, I don't get it either.

How are insects pseudoscience?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 PM

From the cook museum web page:
"The Cook Museum of Natural Science has the mission to engage, excite and educate visitors of all ages about the natural, created world around us."

And, the cook museum is one of several creation museums listed on the creation history project web page.

Finally, the exhibit design director for Cook's, Patrick Marsh, from SixDaysStudio, is also chief designer of The Creation Museum in Kentucky, where "Adam and Eve live in the Garden of Eden...children play and dinosaurs roam near Eden’s Rivers...and the serpent coils cunningly in the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil."

Should be entertaining, though probably not educational.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Have you ever been to the current museum?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
"This small but informative museum was founded by Cook's Pest Control. The displays focus on wildlife found in Alabama, but some feature more exotic specimens. Most importantly, everything is presented from a creationist perspective, so you can enjoy fossilized ammonites and mastodon teeth without being worried by evolutionism or long age propaganda. Some displays even have Scripture verses to accompany them."

Cook's Natural Science Museum, Decatur, AL - Creation Conversations

I hope any funding with public money will be contingent on removing the relgious references.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
...I hope any funding with public money will be contingent on removing the religious[sic] references.
Oh boy, here we go . Next, we'll get all the misinformation from the atheists regarding separation of church and state by folks who have no idea what they are talking about.

Please go ahead and move this thread to the Religion forum.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:55 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Sorry about the typo. Shall I expect to see it featured in a certain thread in the Writer's Forum? I guess I should be more careful with the tiny print on my tablet. I strive for perfection in my spelling and grammar, but sadly it eludes me sometimes.

However, a religious display couched as a "natural history museum" in order to give scientific credence to creationism should not be supported by tax money. Let the churches and any individuals who wish to do so finance it.

I have a problem with the city promoting it, too, and it should not be a destination for public school field trips if there are indeed Bible verses attached to the exhibits.

If I missed any typos, I'll try to do better next time.
I agree. They shouldn't have called it "Cook Museum of Natural Science". If they had called it something like "Cook's Nature Museum" I wouldn't object so much. Having Science in the name is at best misleading and at worst fraudulent.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 AM

According to State Sen. Arthur Orr (from yesterday's article in al.com)...

"...[this] will be a lasting benefit to Decatur, Morgan County, the Tennessee Valley and the state," said State Sen. Arthur Orr, R-Decatur...I think we'll be competitive with the McWane Center and other places in the state."

The McWane Center (in Birmingham) seems like a real science museum, but Sen. Orr's statement seems like a throwback to the days of William Jennings Bryan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Have you ever been to the current museum?
Nope. Haven't been to the McWane Center, haven't seen the last common ancestor of chimps and gorillas, and haven't been to the moon. Doesn't mean those things don't (or didn't) exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area