Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 AM

69 posts, read 98,682 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have posted some threads here but I just want some more information.

I am 19 years old, currently on a path to become a journeyman HVAC technician. If all goes well, in about 4-5 years I will have my license. When I do get my license, I plan on moving to Alabama because of the following reasons: 1. I cant take the cold weather anymore. 2. steady work due to the heat (servicing AC units, etc) however, I want to go into commercial HVAC. 3. slowed down pace, Southern hospitality, and a much friendlier vibe.

I'm not a big party animal, in fact I'm generally quiet... pretty much a social extrovert and solitary introvert if that makes sense haha; it's not my scene. I prefer a city with a small town mix. probably between 25k - 50k people living in it (relative because I live in a city with 125K people). Of course, someplace affordable for somebody who is single (I plan on raising a family someday though).

If the opportunities dont arise here for me to land an apprenticeship, then in about 18 months I will be moving to Alabama to get my license there.

Are there any cities that fit my desires?

If you'd like more info, by all means ask away

thanks,

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
Nothings really changed since last time:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...e-alabama.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...opics-too.html

But now that you want a town (small city), I actually have no info about that. Not sure what the population around Auburn/Opelika/Columbus is, but that area seems nice to me.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 PM

493 posts, read 713,234 times
Well the City of Madison has approximately 42,000 residents which would fit your goal of between 25,000 and 50,000 residents; The City of Madison is tightly adjoined to the City of Huntsville though which has approximately 180,000 residents so this might not be what you're looking for. Some users on this forum think Madison is too crowded and difficult to drive in but there are other cities all over the country that are far more crowded and difficult to drive in than Madison, Al. In the most recent years I've mainly found that HWY 72 in Madison is difficult to drive on Saturday's-it gets pretty crowded there; it's not like a traffic jam in some other cities in the U.S. though. I'm sure there will probably be other posters that will now reply with their opinion of the poor road infrastructure in the City of Madison now. It has been a topic on our city-data page numerous times. I personally LIKE the City of Madison though and I know quite a few other folks personally that do as well. I'm not living in the City Limits of Madison anymore but I do still like the City of Madison.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:04 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmck94 View Post
Hi all,

I have posted some threads here but I just want some more information.

I am 19 years old, currently on a path to become a journeyman HVAC technician. If all goes well, in about 4-5 years I will have my license. When I do get my license, I plan on moving to Alabama because of the following reasons: 1. I cant take the cold weather anymore. 2. steady work due to the heat (servicing AC units, etc) however, I want to go into commercial HVAC. 3. slowed down pace, Southern hospitality, and a much friendlier vibe.

I'm not a big party animal, in fact I'm generally quiet... pretty much a social extrovert and solitary introvert if that makes sense haha; it's not my scene. I prefer a city with a small town mix. probably between 25k - 50k people living in it (relative because I live in a city with 125K people). Of course, someplace affordable for somebody who is single (I plan on raising a family someday though).

If the opportunities dont arise here for me to land an apprenticeship, then in about 18 months I will be moving to Alabama to get my license there.

Are there any cities that fit my desires?

If you'd like more info, by all means ask away

thanks,

Michael
One thing to consider about "living" in Madison is while you technically DO reside there, you will be spending a great deal of your time in Huntsville. You would probably not do well in the industry you want to go into just restricting yourself to Madison....so basically, it is like living in a bigger city even though you are outside the city limits. It definitely does not have the "small town" feel. While we are our own "city" we are more of a "bedroom" community and very dependent on HSV.

CoreLysium mentioned Auburn, and I will tell you that is an awesome place to live, having lived there when I was in school. The university is there, but overall it is pretty laid back and really does feel like a "small town". You also might look at some smaller towns like Cullman, Brewton, Pell City, Fort Payne, Jasper, .....all pretty small comparatively but still relatively close to a larger city if you did want those conveniences every once in a while. Athens is just right outside of Huntsville and is separated enough that it does really have that "small town" feel...but there are more than 50,000 there I would guess. Arab is another great area as well....Keeper can tell you all you need to know about there!

There are TONS of these smaller towns scattered throughout AL....

Old 02-24-2014, 05:01 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
Oh, but not Phenix City. (yes, it's spelled that way.) If it's still as bad as I heard it was. (This is all hearsay.)

Old 02-24-2014, 05:35 PM

493 posts, read 713,234 times
Wikipedia lists the population for the CITY of Athens at 21,897 per the 2010 U.S. census. But there are more residents than that when you include the Athens "area" that is outside the city limits.

Athens, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-24-2014, 05:47 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Auburn is a nice town, but during the school year the traffic can be horrible. There are too many students and not enough places to park. Forget going anywhere on game day weekends.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:16 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Oh, but not Phenix City. (yes, it's spelled that way.) If it's still as bad as I heard it was. (This is all hearsay.)
Holy cow, yes it is....wouldn't want to live there, or Opelika.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM

69 posts, read 98,682 times
Helpful forum, especially on the Alabama sub forum haha.

As of right now it's just a search, I'll ask in the other subs of Alabama. I'm not saying I'm limiting myself to the HSV area, however I feel like I'd have more potential there... we'll see how everything goes.

I'll consider the cities/towns listed here and read more up on them. Thank you for the information

Sorry to offend any Auburn fans, but, Roll Tide hehe.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 AM

29 posts, read 38,230 times
Michael, you should look at Scottsboro. It perfectly fits the big small town out in the country lifestyle you are looking for. You could work in Huntsville or Chattanooga, TN. Both are under an hour commute and there is plenty of HVAC work in our area too. Best of luck to you!

Regards,
TreyFry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area