Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:16 AM

24 posts, read 34,109 times

Advertisements

In the spirit of a premier thread on this forum (the pizza thread), let's flesh out the best oriental/asian cuisine. My personal favorites in this order is:

Makawa, Fulins, I Heart Sushi, and believe it or not 88 BUFFET!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:26 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Don't forget, Asian food includes India, Thai, and middle Eastern food as well.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:58 AM

295 posts, read 442,351 times
Can't say as I'm a big fan of 88 Buffet, especially since they've had some restaurant rating issues.

My husband and I enjoy Tai Pan for dinner. Their hot and sour soup is some of the best I've ever had. I love really spicy food and it's no problem to ask them to crank up the heat. We've only tried Fulin's once but I was pleasantly surprised. I look forward to going back there soon to give it another try. I just can't offer up a vote for sushi, though. I've tried to like it and it's just not something I can get into.

I don't have much experience with Indian, Thai and middle Eastern food but I would love to learn. I'd also like to try the Korean noodle dishes but I just don't know what to order or where best to go. I really enjoy going to ethnic restaurants with someone who knows a lot about that particular food so I can try things that I might not have even noticed on the menu.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 AM

447 posts, read 557,951 times
Chinese new year today!

Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBellum View Post
Can't say as I'm a big fan of 88 Buffet, especially since they've had some restaurant rating issues.

My husband and I enjoy Tai Pan for dinner. Their hot and sour soup is some of the best I've ever had. I love really spicy food and it's no problem to ask them to crank up the heat. We've only tried Fulin's once but I was pleasantly surprised. I look forward to going back there soon to give it another try. I just can't offer up a vote for sushi, though. I've tried to like it and it's just not something I can get into.

I don't have much experience with Indian, Thai and middle Eastern food but I would love to learn. I'd also like to try the Korean noodle dishes but I just don't know what to order or where best to go. I really enjoy going to ethnic restaurants with someone who knows a lot about that particular food so I can try things that I might not have even noticed on the menu.
I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Indian food....so much so I have been preparing (to the best of my abilities!) at home....

Our favorites are India Palace on 72 in Madison and the new one, Saffron by Publix on County Line. Both have a buffet for lunch, which is a great way to get a taste of all the different dishes. They are both very good at "mixing it up" and fixing different things every day. Start with the Chicken Tikka Masala and the Saag Paneer...those are pretty popular. I could eat my weight in naan. I know a lot of people that go to the Indian place on Jordon but I've been a couple of times and I'm not a huge fan, just not as good to me as the others.

For Thai...Surin all the way. The one in Madison (which changed to Surie) just closed but the one on Airport was always my favorite. I was so excited when we moved here to find it because we have loved Surin in 5 Points Bham for years. I also really like Thai Garden, just not as much as Surin. You can't beat their spicy beef salad and they have great sushi. The coconut soup is awesome. Do NOT like the one in Providence, Phuket... they always use too much fish sauce which I can't take the smell of. One of my best friend's mom is Thai and she always says if you can smell it there is too much and I have to agree. That stuff really stinks.

We've been going to I Love Korea since they opened and really like it. I always get the bibimbop and its delicious! I think the Korean restaurant across the street has a lunch buffet...so again, a great chance to try out some different dishes. I've heard their noodle bowls are great as well but the bimimbop is so good I always end up getting that.

Viet Huong in Madison is great for Vietnamese food...its REALLY good. The clay pots are my favorite. The menu is pretty extensive and they do have some Thai dishes like Pad Thai.

I hate those 1000's of items Chinese buffets like 88 Buffet...for me its like cows at the trough. Someone told me 88 had a rat problem....if so, ICK. I'd rather go and have 1-2 really fantastic dishes than a massive buffet with lukewarm barely edible food. We do go to Tai Pan on occasion on Sundays or for lunch during the week...they have a really good buffet, not too big but a good selection and its usually very fresh. I'm addicted to their Black Pepper shrimp, so good!

Last edited by LCTMadison; 01-31-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 AM

82 posts, read 140,634 times
Ding How, Surin, Sitar

Old 01-31-2014, 11:13 AM

157 posts, read 195,276 times
I happen to like 88 buffet.....

I was a big fan of Formosa, even AFTER their CAT tooth problem that eventually SHUT them down

Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM

447 posts, read 557,951 times
China Taste on Bob Wallace (next to Little Caesars pizza), good food, low price.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:58 PM

89 posts, read 118,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
China Taste on Bob Wallace (next to Little Caesars pizza), good food, low price.
Is that the one on the corner of Triana what used to be a dr office, I believe? If so, I am in total agreement.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:30 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
I've always liked Sun Cafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area