Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 01:02 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,306,255 times

Advertisements

Why is there a high school for nearly every little town, hamlet, village, wide spot in the road? Some of the towns that have high schools can barely be called towns: Fyffe, Section, Ider, Tanner, Paint Rock, etc. etc. These schools can't be grauduating 100 kids per year. Seems incredibly inefficient to me, and an area where significant money could be saved by consolidating these schools by county or something.

I'm from a very rural area in TN, not unlike the Sand Mtn area of AL, and I grew up in a town of about 1,000 people. There are several towns of similar size in the county, and each town had its own elementary that fed into ONE county high school. The surrounding counties were done in a similar way. Or if there is one town in the county large enough to have its own HS, it does, and the rest of the county towns all feed into one county high school. Not every little wide spot in the road has its own high school. It would be like, for example, Ft. Payne having its own high school and all the other communities in Dekalb Co feeding into 1 high school. (I know Ft Payne does have its own HS...just an example).

Why does Tanner have its own high school? Fyffe? Section? Woodville? Paint Rock? How many kids are they graduating? Is there something I'm missing? It just seems incredibly inefficient and redundant to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 01:25 PM

446 posts, read 679,293 times
some schools not graduating a 100 but that's how it goes its like that in more than likely all states have communities like that

Old 09-03-2014, 01:32 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,041,163 times
I think they generally have a high school when they need to educate the 9th through 12th grade kids. If there are no kids, they don't build one. I'm sure there is a tipping point where it goes from being able to part of another school into needing to have a separate building.

I'm sure some less populated areas have the kind of school that I know Madison Academy had in the 1980s, where K-12 were in the same building.

I'm guessing Tanner has it's own school because there are kids there. According to this, it has 762 kids.
Tanner High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-03-2014, 01:44 PM

I know there are kids in the communities. But in Tennessee (where I grew up), every little town may have its own elementary school but several elementary schools feed into one high school. It would have been incredibly inefficient for each little town to have its own high school.

Fyffe, Ider, Woodville, Section....all have smaller populations than the town I grew up in, but they have their OWN high school. How does the state/county have money to support that?

Where I grew up, the county had 6 "towns", each about the size of Fyffe/Ider. EAch had its own elementary, but ALL the towns fed into 1 county high school. That's what I have a hard time understanding....how does the state afford to run al these buildings and pay all these teachers???

Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM

16 posts, read 27,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I know there are kids in the communities. But in Tennessee (where I grew up), every little town may have its own elementary school but several elementary schools feed into one high school. It would have been incredibly inefficient for each little town to have its own high school.

Fyffe, Ider, Woodville, Section....all have smaller populations than the town I grew up in, but they have their OWN high school. How does the state/county have money to support that?

Where I grew up, the county had 6 "towns", each about the size of Fyffe/Ider. EAch had its own elementary, but ALL the towns fed into 1 county high school. That's what I have a hard time understanding....how does the state afford to run al these buildings and pay all these teachers???
If your in Huntsville you're pretty much still in TN. You don't see a difference that far upstate.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:

If you're in Huntsville you're pretty much still in TN. You don't see a difference that far upstate.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,907,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating_by View Post
If your in Huntsville you're pretty much still in TN. You don't see a difference that far upstate.
What?!?!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:35 PM

has anyone even read my question? LOL...

Old 09-03-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
What?!?!
U understood.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
has anyone even read my question? LOL...
Sorry I glanced!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area