Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:53 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,677,070 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have our house on the market and we are considering building our next home. We are looking for some land to build in an area east of Chapman Mountain (or the Hampton Cove/OCR area). Preferably the Central Elementary school district, but we will entertain other areas for the right land including the westernmost portion of Jackson county as long as it's within a 10 minute drive of Hwy 72.

I've scoured the MLS site and haven't ran across too much for sale that isn't a ridiculous price. We're looking for between 5-50 acres (pricing plays a lot into how much we can buy). Do any of you know of anyone with land for sale? We're ready to buy the land right now so as soon as we find what we like we'll sign those papers.

Figured it was worth a shot and maybe someone had some good recommendations.

We will entertain land in the following areas:

Woodville
Princeton/Trenton
Gurley (excluding Keel Mountain or directly behind Keel Mtn)
Brownsboro
New Market
Mt Carmel
Huntsville (but must be in the Central school district)
Owens CrossRoads
Hampton Cove

Thanks for any help or advice you all may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:25 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,981,654 times
Do you know what is the "market $ per acre" in these areas? Are you willing to pay that price?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:58 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,273,703 times
We have right at 10 acres in that area listed for $125k, zoned Central/Madison CO.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:18 AM

46,325 posts, read 27,157,406 times
I live up HWY 53, and the land right behind my house is up for sale, zoned commercial, 3.7 acres I believe...almost $100,000 per acre....the reason I know is the realtor gave me the option to buy a piece to "buffer" my place from what ever goes there, I asked for 250 feet (my back yard + extra on each side) and 100ft deep....basically 250ft x 100ft

$35,000 is what he is asking for that....for 1/2ish acre.....Not a chance I could even come close to that...

I told the realtor, I'm used to buying acres in KY...less than $1000 an acre....he was not happy...oh well, thank goodness it's been well over a year and no interest yet....

People are crazy with their prices....

Old 01-14-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I live up HWY 53, and the land right behind my house is up for sale, zoned commercial, 3.7 acres I believe...almost $100,000 per acre....the reason I know is the realtor gave me the option to buy a piece to "buffer" my place from what ever goes there, I asked for 250 feet (my back yard + extra on each side) and 100ft deep....basically 250ft x 100ft

$35,000 is what he is asking for that....for 1/2ish acre.....Not a chance I could even come close to that...

I told the realtor, I'm used to buying acres in KY...less than $1000 an acre....he was not happy...oh well, thank goodness it's been well over a year and no interest yet....

People are crazy with their prices....
Did you at least attempt a counter-offer? It is called a negotiation.

Btw, you are not in KY no more. Alice....

Old 01-14-2015, 07:16 AM

46,325 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Did you at least attempt a counter-offer? It is called a negotiation. ....
Of course...not a movement from his side....

Quote:
Btw, you are not in KY no more. Alice....
Gee....really...I did say I lived up HWY 53....right? LOL

Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Of course...not a movement from his side....
That is one thing I've found in this area, landowners are asking an inflated prices for their land. For a cheaper land ($2-$3K per acre), you pretty much need to go 1.5 hours out of the city.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 AM

152 posts, read 241,276 times
Quote:
That is one thing I've found in this area, landowners are asking an inflated prices for their land. For a cheaper land ($2-$3K per acre), you pretty much need to go 1.5 hours out of the city.
From what I've seen, just about every bit of open land within a 20-mile radius of HSV costs a fortune per acre. I know several people in and around my office who are preparing to retire in the next 5-10 years and have recently moved to the Fayetteville area in order to find affordable acreage.

Coog

Old 01-15-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
We have right at 10 acres in that area listed for $125k, zoned Central/Madison CO.
Do you have an mls number?

Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Do you know what is the "market $ per acre" in these areas? Are you willing to pay that price?

It depends on the area.

Most seem to fluctuate between $8k-11k per acre in the Central school district. West Jackson County (Paint Rock Valley area) seems to drop down to $2-3k per acre which is more appealing but it puts us further out and on more undeveloped land. We don't mind the drive to Research Park to work every day, but we do mind that the land is often too hilly and undeveloped to throw a house up on it.

We have to factor in cost to clear and level the land to build the house which could be upwards of $20-$30k up front on top of the cost to acquire the land and build the house if we choose the cheaper land options. Our total budget is around $250k to include the land and our house, so we are trying to get some options before we make a decision and get the most for our money.

If we can find a reasonably priced area of land closer to our kid's schools then yes we are willing to pay the price. We will likely be splitting whatever we find with my wife's best friend and building two homes on it.

Land back home (S. Bama) is all flat and averages $2k per acre, but up here you've got to pay to play.

Last edited by Nlambert; 01-15-2015 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area