Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 09:06 AM

776 posts, read 747,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremadisonresident View Post
Whatever. I still don't think that justifies being slammed to the ground so hard it results in paralysis.
Nobody has said it was being justified being slammed to the ground. However if you are going to come into this country you need to learn to assimilate or get out. His son even admitted his father was breaking federal law, but that he didn't "think" he needed to carry his ID. Even if I "think" I don't need to stop for the red light with no cars in sight. It's still breaking the law by running that red light. I can still be punished by the law even though nobody was in danger. I wonder if his son also thinks he himself is exempt from complying with certain laws in this country? I'm sorry but if that's your attitude then go back where you come from.

Last edited by weaverra; 09-17-2015 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremadisonresident View Post
As I stated yesterday they could have "detained" him, handcuffed him and placed him in the back of a police car until it got cleared up. At least then he wouldn't have been paralyzed.
And Mr. Patel could have complied with the law like he was supposed to. To put things into perspective it would have been different had one of these been present: or

Since he had no ID on him the officers had no idea who he was or what he was up to based on the suspicious person report that was called in.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
When will ya'll learn to just hit the ignore button????? Or just give him this...

The sledge hammer of truth and facts will break through that brick wall.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:05 AM

468 posts, read 908,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
And Mr. Patel could have complied with the law like he was supposed to. To put things into perspective it would have been different had one of these been present: or

Since he had no ID on him the officers had no idea who he was or what he was up to based on the suspicious person report that was called in.

Have a nice day Mr. Parker!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 AM

Back to the subject at hand. I personally think that if he is charged and convicted of anything it should be Reckless endangerment. He being an officer of the law is given some room to do things that he would not be allowed to do as a civilian. Was that the best move to make? I don't think so.

We as civilians are allowed to use up to equal force applied to us. If someone pokes a finger in your chest you can't use a greater force to overcome their force. However poke a finger in the chest of an officer and you will find out quickly that greater force can be used to subdue you. (Just for all you trolls out there I'm not implying that an officer can beat your face in.)

I still think it's going to be hard to get a conviction of third degree assault on an officer performing his duty given this situation. If he had done this off duty I think it would be pretty much a slam dunk conviction. I personally think reckless endangerment would be a more appropriate charge.

I think most peoples judgement is clouded by the video alone without first hearing both sides to the story. We have seen the video so much that we have convinced ourselves that he intentionally tried to slam him that hard. I believe there is evidence to support Parker's testimony to him not maintaining his balance during the take down which resulted in the hard fall. When you watch the video in that context it's not that hard to believe. Had he remained on his feet I would have had a hard time believing that.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 PM

442 posts, read 648,533 times
Default Feds want to bar Madison cops’ testimony in second Eric Parker trial

Quote:
Federal prosecutors are asking a judge to bar four Madison police officers from testifying that the sudden takedown of an Indian grandfather in February was not contrary to the training given officer Eric Parker.

The officers' testimony was highlighted by the defense at Parker's first trial as part of its argument that his actions were consistent with concerns about "officer safety."

Parker is scheduled for an Oct. 26 retrial on a federal excessive force charge in a case that has drawn international attention following the release of the video showing the violent takedown of Sureshbhai Patel. The jury in the first trial hung up 10-2 in favor of acquittal.
Read more at: Feds want to bar Madison cops’ testimony in second Eric Parker trial | WHNT.com

Old 10-20-2015, 10:18 AM

413 posts, read 1,180,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FayettevilletoHuntsville View Post
So Parker's defense is saying they can paralyze an old man because:

1.) Mr. Patel was not carrying his Green Card right outside his house.

2.) Parker's friends in the police say his take-down of Mr. Patel was consistent with the training he received and NO excessive force was used.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:50 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,874,056 times
Yup...... This is the USA .. Sadly they can do anything they want to

Old 10-26-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggy_mba View Post
So Parker's defense is saying they can paralyze an old man because:
That is NOT what they are saying. That's what you are saying. What they are saying is that Mr. Patel created the circumstances that led up to his injury. It's like trying to blame a cop for shooting and killing someone pointing an unloaded or toy gun at them.

I believe the doctor that performed the surgery on him had testified that there was already some kind of preexisting spinal condition with Mr. Patel prior to his injury. He also had prior injuries to one of his legs from a dog bite. Was paralysis cause by Parker's action alone or was it just the just the mere catalyst that caused the partial paralysis from these other conditions?

Old 10-26-2015, 11:25 AM

413 posts, read 1,180,822 times
Quote:
What they are saying is that Mr. Patel created the circumstances that led up to his injury
That's exactly what they're saying, and trying to blame the old man for the cop pinning him down

Quote:
I believe the doctor that performed the surgery on him had testified that there was already some kind of preexisting spinal condition with Mr. Patel prior to his injury.
Even worse. How do you think that's a good thing in the cop's favor?

Quote:
Was paralysis cause by Parker's action alone or was it just the just the mere catalyst
Mr. Patel was walking without support and was able to take care of his grandson before Parker delivered him the catalyst , now he can't. The catalyst didn't quite work out for Mr. Patel, did it?

If you have Flu and somebody smacks your head with a baseball bat saying it was just a catalyst, he was not feeling well anyway, would you be ok with that?

Last edited by smuggy_mba; 10-26-2015 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area