Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 03:38 PM

38 posts, read 41,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
No, what would have prevented this whole thing would have been for Patel to have not tried to walk away from police. AFAIK nowhere in the world is it acceptable or prudent to walk away from police when being questioned.
He can't be questioned if he doesn't understand English. That's why he pointed down the street toward his house and started walking that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 03:39 PM

776 posts, read 745,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremadisonresident View Post
Do you ever go for short walks in your neighborhood? If you do I assume that you always have your ID on you? Have you done that your entire adult life? I also agree with others that I don't think his green card was necessary to go for a really short stroll on his own street. As Ratsnake said "he wasn't traveling anywhere" He was just out for a short walk on his own street.

What would have prevented this whole thing would have been for Eric Parker to have been reasonable with Mr. Parel and not slammed him to the ground so violently that it paralyzed him. He didn't have to do that and if he didn't Mr. Patel would not have been injured.
I'm not an alien resident. Whether you think it was necessary or not is beside the point. It's the law and for good reason. He was nearly a quarter mile from his sons home. He was taken down in front of house 116. His son lived at 148.

How was Eric Parker supposed to know he was a grandfather visiting from India to help care for his grandson? Maybe if he had his ID on him like he was legally obligated to he could have shown them where his residence was and possibly a contact for the officers to call.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:42 PM

776 posts, read 745,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremadisonresident View Post
He can't be questioned if he doesn't understand English. That's why he pointed down the street toward his house and started walking that way.
By that logic every person that doesn't understand English is excused from complying with laws because they simply don't understand. That means they don't have to comply with officers for any reason because they don't understand. I honestly think that it's pretty universally understood that a person appearing to be an officer of the law grabbing hold of you means don't move.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
By that logic every person that doesn't understand English is excused from complying with laws because they simply don't understand. That means they don't have to comply with officers for any reason because they don't understand. I honestly think that it's pretty universally understood that a person appearing to be an officer of the law grabbing hold of you means don't move.
Except Mr. Patel wasn't breaking any laws and it's not just our local police department that has stated that since Eric Parker was charged locally (In Limestone County) and federally.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:56 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
BS - he can be questioned (or detained) until the situation gets cleared up. Speaking English has nothing to do with him walking away - again, where in the world can you do that? He repeatedly tried to walk away from the officers and drew away when they tried to restrain him.

Had he obeyed the officer's tone of voice (like yelling STOP!) and physical attempts to restrain him the result would have been different.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:58 PM

165 posts, read 211,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
I honestly think that it's pretty universally understood that a person appearing to be an officer of the law grabbing hold of you means don't move.
Fortunately the rest of the world (with a few reactionary exceptions) believes that when "a person appearing to be an officer of the law" grabs hold of you, they should have a good reason to do so.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:06 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
Omar - you must not travel much.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
BS - he can be questioned (or detained) until the situation gets cleared up. Speaking English has nothing to do with him walking away - again, where in the world can you do that? He repeatedly tried to walk away from the officers and drew away when they tried to restrain him.

Had he obeyed the officer's tone of voice (like yelling STOP!) and physical attempts to restrain him the result would have been different.
I never said he couldn't be detained. I said he can't be questioned if he doesn't understand English because he would not be able to answer their questions. Yes, they should have "detained" him until the situation "got cleared up" instead of violently slamming him to the ground. If they had handcuffed him and placed him in the back of a police car at least he wouldn't have been paralyzed. I think that is why Eric Parker was charged because he violently threw an innocent man to the ground so hard it paralyzed him.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:34 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
I watched the video again. The first one in this link:

Madison Police Chief: Officer charged with assault, also recommended for termination after incident that severely injured Indian man | WHNT.com

Looks like he patted him down around 1:47. This is after the guy calmly stood and tried to talk to them for quite some time, pointed in the direction of his son's house more than once, and complied with their "questioning." It doesn't seem to me that he was pulling away or was a significant enough threat to slam him like that. If pulling away means he gets arrested/detained than fine. Slap the cuffs on him and put him in a car. Slam him like that? No way.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:42 PM

468 posts, read 907,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I watched the video again. The first one in this link:

Madison Police Chief: Officer charged with assault, also recommended for termination after incident that severely injured Indian man | WHNT.com

Looks like he patted him down around 1:47. This is after the guy calmly stood and tried to talk to them for quite some time, pointed in the direction of his son's house more than once, and complied with their "questioning." It doesn't seem to me that he was pulling away or was a significant enough threat to slam him like that. If pulling away means he gets arrested/detained than fine. Slap the cuffs on him and put him in a car. Slam him like that? No way.
The court records did show - and both sides did agree - that he was patted down ----prior to being slammed to the ground.

The court records also showed that Mr Parker called dispatch --- after the fact - using the word 'stack' for probably cause. He was looking for a way to justify - after the fact - what he did.

OK - weaverra ... er - Mr. Parker Sr - your son has watched one too many WWE shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area