Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 12:18 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
You were there?
Were you? You sure have made definitive statements about what Patel was doing that were not based upon the 911 call or anything that would be considered fact.

Mr. Patel and his son have both stated he was not looking in garages and that the only property he was "on" was his son's. So yes, that has been stated and there has been nothing to disprove that statement.

God forbid the man stop on someone's driveway to take a break from his walk. Oh, the horror. Next time I see those kids next door ride their little bikes across my driveway I'm calling the cops on them. <end sarcasm>

I bet a brick wall entertains you for hours.

Tourian, sorry, I can't rep you anymore but I would if I could

Last edited by LCTMadison; 02-27-2015 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:56 PM

103 posts, read 253,103 times
Quote:
There are many things that aren't crimes, but some of the actions many times coincide with crimes. i.e. looking into windows of garages. I also don't understand why everyone wants to continue to make a racial issue out of this. Actually walking onto someone else's property without reasonable cause can be considered trespassing. BTW according to the caller he was standing in a driveway when the caller stopped and started watching him. According to the caller Mr. Patel then began to walk away. I will chose to believe the caller over your racist agenda. I most certainly don't go walking around walking up to people's garages or hanging out in their driveways.
You make excellent points, weav. Not sure why you are getting attacked by the all knowing ones here?

I would like to add, in the officer's defense, the suspect was not responding to verbal or non-verbal commands. As a former police officer, this can be a difficult situation and I think the officer took appropriate action. Of course, in highny sight, it is easy to bash the poor officer.

What's worse is our local media's coverage of hill billy cops and racist folks in the south. Kudos for making us look bad once again on the international stage when it is all a complete farse.

Roll Tide!!!

Old 02-27-2015, 02:08 PM

626 posts, read 755,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
<end sarcasm>
If you're going to throw what looks to be html tags, at least be CONSISTENT with it.

<sarcasm>
</sarcasm>

Old 02-27-2015, 02:11 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wehut View Post
the all knowing ones
Thanks for the compliment, Huff.

Quote:
I would like to add, in the officer's defense, the suspect was not responding to verbal or non-verbal commands. As a former police officer, this can be a difficult situation and I think the officer took appropriate action. Of course, in highny sight, it is easy to bash the poor officer.
What "non-verbal" commands? What ARE "non-verbal" commands? Is he a trained dog?

"He don't speak a lick of English."

Remember that? A man tells you he doesn't speak English, doesn't know what's going on or why he is being accosted - the response should not be to escalate the situation. He repeatedly told them, "No English" and gave them his son's house number. For that he gets a hurt back and partial paralysis. Welcome to America.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Thanks for the compliment, Huff.

What "non-verbal" commands? What ARE "non-verbal" commands? Is he a trained dog?

"He don't speak a lick of English."

Remember that? A man tells you he doesn't speak English, doesn't know what's going on or why he is being accosted - the response should not be to escalate the situation. He repeatedly told them, "No English" and gave them his son's house number. For that he gets a hurt back and partial paralysis. Welcome to America.
I think you are kidding, but in case you are not , I will explain. Lets say you are at a stop light that has malfunctioned. There is one of those pesky officers in the street giving non-verbal commands. If she throws a running back stiff arm in your direction it means stop.

In a confrontation with someone, the same applies. Officers are normally trained on posture and non-verbal communication to clearly state their intent to a suspect.

I will say it is possible the officer in this case could have used non-verbal communication to de-escalate the situation. Nonetheless, I'm glad we have a happy ending to an overblown situation.

The Huntsville area has a fantastic Indian population. I will have to agree with my Indian friends that America is the most tolerant country in the world. God Bless America!!

Roll Tide!!!!

Old 02-28-2015, 09:56 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
I don't really think we have reached "happy ending" status yet. The man is still disabled and the city of Madison has been tarnished.

He definitely used the wrong "non verbal" communication....the officer seems very intimidating in that video and I'm sure that was the case for the victim who could not fully understand the situation. The victim clearly seems confused and it seemed pretty clear he was trying to do his best to communicate to the officers where he lived as he kept pointing in that direction...that is probably why he began to walk off, to get them to follow him.

I do know someone that knows this cop (has known him almost his entire life) and said he's always been a great kid. Great family, nice as he could be. He made a terrible mistake. Now he'll have to pay for it.

Hopefully this will lead police departments to better train their officers when dealing with cultural difference, language barriers, etc.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 AM

Good points, LCT. However, I do not see any "cultural" or race element in this situation - language - yes. Sad thing is that a 1 second incident with both parties out of line brings this kind of "backward alabama press".

Old 02-28-2015, 12:52 PM

165 posts, read 212,072 times
Quote:
...I do not see any "cultural" or race element in this situation...a 1 second incident with both parties out of line...Roll Tide!!!
The cop's reaction and statement, "He don't speak a lick of English", championing how great it is to live in a state where segregation is alive and well, and intolerance for people who don't sound (or look) the same way you do is exactly the kind of attitude that gets Alabama it's well-deserved reputation for intolerance.

Statements like this:

Quote:
...If you want to come here to live then learn the language....
don't help either.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:53 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
I think you are kidding, but in case you are not , I will explain. Lets say you are at a stop light that has malfunctioned. There is one of those pesky officers in the street giving non-verbal commands. If she throws a running back stiff arm in your direction it means stop.

In a confrontation with someone, the same applies. Officers are normally trained on posture and non-verbal communication to clearly state their intent to a suspect.

I will say it is possible the officer in this case could have used non-verbal communication to de-escalate the situation. Nonetheless, I'm glad we have a happy ending to an overblown situation.

The Huntsville area has a fantastic Indian population. I will have to agree with my Indian friends that America is the most tolerant country in the world. God Bless America!!

Roll Tide!!!!

Being in a motor vehicle is not the same thing. You have to use hand signals because you typically cant hear. This isnt about a traffic cop using hand signals or a whistle though, is it?

Old 03-01-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarLittle View Post
The cop's reaction and statement, "He don't speak a lick of English", championing how great it is to live in a state where segregation is alive and well, and intolerance for people who don't sound (or look) the same way you do is exactly the kind of attitude that gets Alabama it's well-deserved reputation for intolerance.
You are judging a man because of his southern dialect? It simply translates to "he does not speak english". His actions and dialect are not racial in the least. So the next time I'm on governors drive getting gas and a black man says "sup dawg" am I to assume he is a thug? It happens all the time and I usually respond "not much dawg" and go about my business.

"well-deserved reputation for intolerance"???? whatever, huff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area