Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:30 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times

Advertisements

My daughter was in 'Ballet for 3 year olds' back in FL and I want to get her back in to that...actually she digs Tap better, but the Ballet gives her a solid foundation to expand upon - so a combination class like what we had is ideal. We'd be looking for another "beginners" class.

Does anyone have recommendation for an instructor who deals well with toddlers?

I'll soon be in the NE area of Huntsville, right near Five Points. Would like to keep it nearby if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:05 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
IIRC Ann's (at Whitesburg and Bob Wallace) or North Alabama Dance Center (at Research Park and University) both teach toddlers. They're both pretty good and less than 15 minutes away.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 PM

Thank you - will look in to that!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 20,248 times
Default Allegro Academy of Dance

Allegro Academy of Dance on Whitesburg Drive in Huntsville is an outstanding studio. My girls have taken there all five years they have been open. The owner, Carol Jackson, is a fromer professional ballerina. All of her instructiors go through rigorous interview processes and she hires only the best. All must be dedicated to not only teaching dance, but most importantly the welfare of the children. These children love all the teachers there. It's fun and challenging. They're performing dance troupe is one of the top in the north Alabama area, but they're focus is on all the students. They have small class sizes so that every student can have individualized attention. They don't have traditional recitals, but instead have an anuual performance where all the students perform themed dances. This year's is Around the World in 80 Days. Our past ones include Alice in Wonderland, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Cinderella, and The Wizard of Oz. They also have a very advanced drama studio co-located with them that greatly enhances their performances. You can see more at:

Alegro Academy of Dance

Old 06-01-2008, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
My daughter was in 'Ballet for 3 year olds' back in FL and I want to get her back in to that...actually she digs Tap better, but the Ballet gives her a solid foundation to expand upon - so a combination class like what we had is ideal. We'd be looking for another "beginners" class.

Does anyone have recommendation for an instructor who deals well with toddlers?

I'll soon be in the NE area of Huntsville, right near Five Points. Would like to keep it nearby if I can.
Hi there, take a look at Academy of Classic Arts. Just google academyofclassicarts.com I believe you will find what you are looking for there. Be blessed

Last edited by Mr. R.; 06-01-2008 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 09:54 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
Mr. R and kmeier

A few questions about these studios. I probably will visit each of these, but you might be able to save me some time if you can answer my questions and I can determine it's not a good match. I have my oldest daughter in a studio right now, and I have some issues with it.

1 - Facility: What is the floor, etc like at these studios? The studio we've been going to has hard slab floors only, and while not an issue for my young child, I was *very* surprised to learn during the recital that the studio runs pointe classes and that these teen dancers are dancing en pointe on solid concrete. I also visited Huntsville Community Ballet in my search, and the place smells very strongly of mildew - I know the building is old and really, I'm not a snob - I take my kids to the Aquatics Center on Monroe which is just as old, but in good condition, but no doubt, HCB literally reeks.

2 - Costumes: I was disappointed in some of the costume choice for these girls. The costume choices were appropriate enough for the youngest girls, but many costumes for girls older than 7 were totally inappropriate, in my opinion. I understand for performance purposes it's expected for performance you deviate from the norm, such as letting a girl wear make-up, but really, some of these costumes were beyond that. I want to enroll my daughter someplace where the costumes are kept reasonably modest and age-appropriate.

3 - More a question for Mr. R, I see the ACA is Christian based, thus Concern #2 is probably handled, but is the ACA only for Christian Children? How are Christian elements incorporated into the program? We're Jewish, and I of course want my daughter to feel both welcome and comfortable.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
Mr. R and kmeier

2 - Costumes: I was disappointed in some of the costume choice for these girls. The costume choices were appropriate enough for the youngest girls, but many costumes for girls older than 7 were totally inappropriate, in my opinion. I understand for performance purposes it's expected for performance you deviate from the norm, such as letting a girl wear make-up, but really, some of these costumes were beyond that. I want to enroll my daughter someplace where the costumes are kept reasonably modest and age-appropriate.
I have not visited the studios yet but poked around on the web - one of the options was very strict about the dress code, meaning I'd be buying shoes from an actual dance supply company (which I have several mail-order catalogs from - you name it, I've got it...) and not $20.00 black tap shoes from Payless...and left me wondering how I'd get Mo's still short hair in to a well-secured bun...
Since this is all for a learning exercise in instruction and socialization and not an actual nose-to-the-grind attempt at professional training, I was made rather certain by reading that particular company profile - this was the wrong fit for us.

Cosmetics on young children is another issue that will cause great conflict...personally, I do not approve of such child pageantry and will not be party to decorating my four-year-old in gaudy paint and risqué attire. Period.

I'm glad not to be alone in this responsible judgment call.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:18 PM

The studio my daughter has attended for a few months had a perfectly fine class dress code - it's the recital costume that I just saw this past weekend that gave me pause. I do not want to disparage anyone's business publicly but if you live in Big Cove/Hampton Cove and are concerned about modest recital costume for your dancer and she's older than 7, you may need to take a 15/20 minute drive for dance lessons. the local studio owner is a very nice woman and I only even say as much as I did because apparently she runs a brisk business, and there is quite an abundance of parents who are content for their girls to dance there. Fair enough, it's a personal call. I will say that the under-7 crowd had age-appropriate recital costumes.

I actually visited the Academy of Classic Arts site and exchanged a few emails with the director there, who I suspect may be relative of Mr. R.

The studio sounds very promising and I will be visiting it tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. I also will probably visit Allegro - some people I knew have taken their kids there and are happy with it.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:55 AM

Just in case anyone cares, I visited the Academy of Classic Arts today - it's a new studio just starting out but it looks like a very promising place. Unfortunately the schedule is not going to work for my girls for the fall, but the owner took a lot of time talking to me and was very pleasant and I'd like to recommend them to anyone seeking a classical, wholesome program for their child. I hope in years to come they will either add more classes or have class offerings that fit our schedule.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,732 times
my daughter has been at jills studio for 5 years in tap3, jazz3, ballet3, and flex.
She was not chosen again this year for company although many of her friends were., is this all politics? It crushes me...I have been asking for pre-pointe ballet class for 2 yrs and only company girls can have that honor...but yet she can get into flex class with the company girls? Can someone out there explain to me how this works? I have about had it,,signed her up for fall AGAIN, but am curious about allegro. My daughter is very flexible with a dancers body...the dart didnt come our way this year for being chosen,,HELP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area