Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 09:29 PM

44 posts, read 134,186 times

Advertisements

Thanks for posting.

Holding your keys is an old trick at many dealerships that practice this shady sales tactic. Makes me sick even thinking about what you guys went through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 06:46 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
I have heard of that tactic but if someone did that to me, that would be the last place I would consider buying one. We have bought three Toyota's in Scottsboro at High Country. Very simple all three times, did my research to determine what would be a good price, walked in told them what I wanted, (only the 1st time they had it in stock), they gave me a price which in all three cases was lower than what I expected to pay. In less than two hours even after all the paper work we had our Toyota and left.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:07 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Holding the keys or "losing" them is an old sales tactic to buy them time. I've had it happen at the local Dodge dealership when we looked at a used Explorer, and at the Chevy dealership when we looked at a used Mustang I wanted. Both times they lowballed my trade-in so I got ready to walk and they "lost" the keys. Both times I lost my cool and quickly my keys were "found".

The Dodge dealership went as far as to have our vehicle in the cleanup shop to get detailed to go on the lot before we even discussed pricing. All of our stuff was in a bag in the trunk, along with the license plate to bring to us. I told them thanks for the free detailing and left.

The local GMC dealership gave me the runaround on my current F150 last year. Took my truck in to trade, and told them what I wanted on the trade and what I'd pay out the door. I made some stipulations on some repairs that I wanted done as well (rear view mirror replaced, a rattle in the door fixed, and spark plugs/coil packs replaced. Sales guy agreed quickly to everything and ordered the parts. I was to bring the truck back in for repairs once parts got there.

A week goes by and no word. I called down and was told the parts had been there for 2 days and to come leave the truck. I told them it was my daily driver and either needed them to fix it while I waited, or provide me with a loaner vehicle. They gave me a new GMC to drive. A week goes by and they told me it was fixed. We were on the way to an appointment so I neglected to check anything but the obvious rear view mirror replacement. On the way over Carl T Jones the truck began mis-firing and we could hear the rattle every time we hit a bump.

Popped the hood, and noticed the coil packs were still untouched. Called them and took the truck back. They put me back in the GMC and ended up driving it for another week before I got a call to come get it. This time they told me they replaced the coil packs and plugs (which I verified) and that the window motor was broken (window worked fine) so they replaced the motor.

On the way home the door was still rattling. Called back and got told they couldn't find anything else and that they were done with the truck. Aggravated, I pulled the door panel and found that there was a mounting bolt missing. Replaced that and the rattle went away.

It isn't just the Toyota dealership unfortunately.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:34 AM

614 posts, read 766,405 times
I have had two dealings with the Toyota dealership that must not be named.
The first one was a good thing.

My wife and I went by there after hours, so we could look at vehicles without any salemen around to get in the way. We were looking at a GMC envoy on the used lot, when a minivan pulls up to us. Out steps the young owner, the one you see on the TV commercials. He talked to us, found out the price, and before you know it somebody is bringing us keys so we could drive it that night. Unfortunately, we never struck a deal, but he was very pleasant, and really did try to make it work.

The second time I had dealings with them, it ended with me leaving and not going back.
Just up the road, I have purchased 2 used SUV's from the VW dealer. Now they know how to haggle and make it fun.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:46 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
FYI...it seems people around here REALLY love their cars. I just found them tough to negotiate. Same in Nashville. I have better luck in Birmingham. I know Tom Williams is MUCH better to deal with than Century. I got the same EXACT car, same mileage, color...everything....at Tom Williams for $9k less than Century. Oh, and while I was standing in the Tom Williams showroom as they were pulling the cover off my new car, the guy from Century called to give me an additional $500 off. I just laughed and hung up.
You may be right. Might have something to do with market size...HSV isn't as big a market as B'ham, etc. I remember this being the case in Chattanooga as well. Actually, the Honda dealer in Chattanooga was really great (this was years ago, however). But the Lexus dealership was HORRIBLE to deal with. My former in-laws got so turned off by the Chatt. Lexus dealer, they drove up to Cool Springs to buy their car AND drive it up there for service appointments! And now they have 2 Lexus vehicles, both from Cool Springs, getting serviced there as well.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:42 PM

458 posts, read 617,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
This is why it is best to not even deal with dealerships in-person until you go in to pick up the vehicle...just e-mail a bunch of internet managers at dealers within 150 miles or whatever and tell them what exactly you want. Then use their prices against each other and go with the dealer who offers the best price vs. their relative location. If they want to play games, move on to the next one.

It also helps to line up financing through a local credit union and for the love of God, don't buy a vehicle based on the monthly payment.
I did that a few years ago when I bought my truck. Emailed every dealership within 200 miles and asked for quotes. Most dealerships told me the truck I wanted was only the basic model and I needed to spend 5k on upgrades. For those that actually answered my request, I pitted the best ones against each other and then went with the cheapest. I think Costco offers this as a service now. If I were to buy another vehicle now I'd ask every dealership between Nashville and Birmingham, and possibly Atlanta just for fun. Did the same thing for the extended warranty. The price on that ranged from $700-1600 for the exact same warranty.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:16 PM

218 posts, read 277,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Has anyone had a similar experience? Was it just our sales guy, or do they all use this high-pressure tactic?
Nope, not just you. Same dealership.

Wife and I were in the initial stages of car buying, trying to figure out what we wanted. After test driving, I made the mistake of asking the salesman for a rough number on what it would cost out the door. The sales manager came over and began the stereotypical high-pressure tactics. "It's an investment", "You won't get a deal this good if you leave", etc. Eventually he asked me what it would take it to get me in a car today and I told him a price low enough that I could turn around and immediately sell it for a profit after accounting for sales tax and tag fees. At that point he gave up and we left. Idiots.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:33 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,181 times
Had similar experience at a dealership in Fl, was held "hostage" for 3 hrs, I still came out of it unscathed! Acura here in town, not a good experience at all!! I got the "little lady" treatment, and will never get a car from them for exactly that reason...manager reminded me of a bad 70's movie!! Suit 'an all!!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:36 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Some of you are giving advice on how to buy a car but the OP said she wasn't in the market yet. So if you aren't ready to buy don't engage them. You wont be "held hostage" or put in a "high pressure" situation unless you initiate it. Especially if you are 6, 9 or 12 months away. Sales people don't hear that. They are all about TODAY...NOW. In 6 mos they might not be there. None of the cars on the lot will be there except for that purple iQ that nobody wants. And in 6 mos your trade in wont be worth what it is today either so getting some figures to think about is just going to stress you out if you engage some one who is working to do it for you. Especially at a zoo like free for all like most Toyota dealers are. A computer is all you need to get an idea.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:43 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
A friend of mine at work told me about a very similar experience as the OP recently. Very similar to the way Bill Heard used to be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area