Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 08:00 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times

Advertisements

That particular particular project is bad. It is probably more about dispersing them rather than the buildings being unlivable. They could always just be renovated. They want to disperse them because when you have a large development like that, the crime rate is through the roof. For those that haven't been around here long enough, that housing project called Sparkman Homes now, used to be called Mason Court (the street is still named Mason Court) and it was commonly called "Murder Court." Some genius at the city back a number of years ago thought that changing the name would make a difference. lol

They better be glad that someone like me doesn't control all of that sort of stuff because I would go around bulldozing projects every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 08:08 AM

127 posts, read 111,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
It's hard to see gentrification taking place on that section of Holmes Ave. where Sparkman Homes now sits. If you look at the neighborhoods across the street and further west on Holmes, it's unlikely that a builder could sell $300,000 homes in that area. This is a lot different from the new homes being built adjacent to Lowe Mill - those houses will be in walking distance to Huntsville's biggest arts and cultural facility.

This is also where they are planning to add the protected bike lane connecting Downtown to UAH and Research Park. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Campus 805/Lowe Mill gentrification begin to spill over into this part of town too but it will be several years. Also given the cities recent history with public housing it tends to make these moves to encourage or accommodate re-development.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 AM

609 posts, read 529,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDreamer View Post
I took a glimpse of the sign while driving and it seemed that it's going to be a dental office and several other offices, but not sure.
There's already a dentist office at the corner of Slaughter/Eastview so I'm thinking that's the sign you saw because the sign I referred to is no longer there. The only sign I can see by the construction site is just a sign saying who the builder is is.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:11 AM

117 posts, read 314,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
There's already a dentist office at the corner of Slaughter/Eastview so I'm thinking that's the sign you saw because the sign I referred to is no longer there. The only sign I can see by the construction site is just a sign saying who the builder is is.
It seems like they are building about 8 "upscale" offices:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/Slaug...n-AL/6728787//

Old 08-17-2018, 10:44 AM

609 posts, read 529,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDreamer View Post
It seems like they are building about 8 "upscale" offices:

Access Denied
Thanks. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what goes in there but I assume they already have some of it leased or they wouldn't have proceeded.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:54 AM

2,985 posts, read 1,749,653 times
Quote:
Thanks. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what goes in there but I assume they already have some of it leased or they wouldn't have proceeded.
Is it the lot just south of the Dentist office? If so, that is owned by Beachwood Investments and the registered agent for that business is Debra Gilliam who has an Alternative Medicine business. That may not mean anything about what businesses are going in on that lot however.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:29 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
I think your "Access Denied" must have been temporary ... the link just worked for me, but it really doesn't say much. The description must have been written by President Trump though ... it's full of extranneous capital letters.

Every time I hear "upscale", I think of Mayor Yancura's description of MacDonald's being "upscale dining" for Madison back when they were being built on Hwy 20. I suppose Walmart would be "upscale shopping" if he'd still been in office when it was built.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:51 AM

641 posts, read 698,473 times
Regarding the new Publix on Hughes Road - I thought the smaller building with Papa John's and the Chinese restaurant was going to stay in place while a replacement building was erected. But I saw this weekend that the building is now completely gone. The only thing standing is the new Publix.

I think the Papa John's had closed already (or maybe moved elsewhere), but I thought the Chinese restaurant (Golden China?) was still open. Does anybody know what happened? On Yelp Golden China shows as closed and reopening 4/1/2019.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:03 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Regarding the new Publix on Hughes Road - I thought the smaller building with Papa John's and the Chinese restaurant was going to stay in place while a replacement building was erected. But I saw this weekend that the building is now completely gone. The only thing standing is the new Publix.

I think the Papa John's had closed already (or maybe moved elsewhere), but I thought the Chinese restaurant (Golden China?) was still open. Does anybody know what happened? On Yelp Golden China shows as closed and reopening 4/1/2019.
I thought the building was remaining too ... have not noticed that it was gone. Applebee's is still there.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:13 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post

Looks like they demolished and will rebuild to match the Publix. Golden China had a sign in their door saying that they will reopen next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area