Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2016, 11:17 AM

609 posts, read 529,755 times

Advertisements

I would expect that area out there to grow pretty fast. Target Distribution Center, Polaris, GE Aviation and whatever businesses end up at the TVA megasite are going cause support businesses and subdivisions to pop up out there sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 04:14 PM

641 posts, read 698,473 times
So apparently now it all may be a "mirage" instead of an "oasis".

Was Oasis a mirage? Touted Huntsville complex removed from website | AL.com

David

Old 09-28-2016, 05:06 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyRuben View Post
Bridge Street and Redstone Gateway were in the middle of nowhere before they were what they are today. So was the Target shopping center on Hwy 72. Ditto every development from Rideout Road to Wall Triana along Hwy 72.

This is precisely how development happens.
Thank you for your lecture.

So how many years (decades) did this take?

Old 09-29-2016, 06:50 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I agree. If this is built near either Redstone Gateway, Bridge Street Mall, in the Research Park, or even in downtown Huntsville, I can get excited about its possibility. It can be sustained & complemented by local businesses. But out in the middle of nowhere like exit 3 on I-565, this will likely be another fail project like many before it for the I-65/ I-565 corridor.
I still believe where bridge street at is terrible. I know it does well, but personally I hate it. It impedes evening traffic getting out if research park. It's at the edge of research park which means the scenery sucks. It's supposed to be convenient but I've never found it any more so than any other mall.

What I'm noticing with all these new developments is that they are focused on just one area. I'd rather see Huntsville put together a long term large scale attraction area like Chattanooga has done by the river or on one of the mountains.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:51 AM

410 posts, read 696,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I still believe where bridge street at is terrible. I know it does well, but personally I hate it. It impedes evening traffic getting out if research park. It's at the edge of research park which means the scenery sucks. It's supposed to be convenient but I've never found it any more so than any other mall.

What I'm noticing with all these new developments is that they are focused on just one area. I'd rather see Huntsville put together a long term large scale attraction area like Chattanooga has done by the river or on one of the mountains.
With the announcement of the Pinhook Creek pedestrian bridge crossing Memorial, a cool long term project could be a "river walk" (creek walk) along Pinhook Creek from about Pratt Street all the way to Brahan Spring Park. Would need to do some major cleanup of the creek and have water in it at all times. Obviously a smaller scale than San Antonio, but if bars/restaurants/shops had outdoor areas or entrances along the creek, there is a lot of available space on that route. The Coca-Cola site, VBC site, Constellation site, possible relocation of some public housing near Lowe Mill, the Lowe Mill area, and a lot of the run down property between Memorial and the creek are great places to redevelop.

Pinhook Provisions and Lowe Mill are already attractions on the path, and the Embasy Suites walkway is a natural feed from Big Spring Park and downtown. Could easily have spurs to Campus 805, CityCentre and Twickenham Square.

As you said, would be large scale and very long term.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:53 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Creek walk? Yeah no. Not big enough.

I took my family down to ditto landing, who are from Florida, and asked me how come there isnt shopping, cafes, restaurants, or shopping. I've wondered that too.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:34 AM

156 posts, read 177,037 times
Quote:

I took my family down to ditto landing, who are from Florida, and asked me how come there isnt shopping, cafes, restaurants, or shopping. I've wondered that too.
The river walk in San Antonio is a great example of what could be done to Pinhook. The river was actually rerouted out of the downtown area. The remaining area was going to be paved over as an underground storm drain. Instead they damned up the lower end and created a controllable river.

If huntsville took this idea and applied it to Pinhook you could have a great flowing canal from Downtown to John Hunt Park connected with greenway and developments along the way.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 PM

410 posts, read 696,209 times
Quote:

This is the best you'll get for Ditto Landing...

Ambitious master plan could turn Ditto Landing into Huntsville recreation hotspot | AL.com

Restaurants, shops, cafes are not allowed. The land was deeded to the port authority and commercial development is not allowed. I'm sure they could figure out some kind of basic store or food truck spot, but that's about it. Hopefully it becomes a better recreational spot though.

Chattanooga's river front is right along the interstate and downtown, so it works for them. Ditto Landing is too far removed from downtown or the western growth areas. Decatur is the city that should have a better riverfront development. Just wait for Huntsville/Madison to keep growing west, and they can build something along the river around 65/565/Alt 72.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:19 PM

64 posts, read 72,730 times
Quote:

There is a master plan that include those things, it just needs money.

Not sure what it will take to get more development down there. It may take Huntsville expanding across the Tennessee into Morgan County. Or some other type of housing development boom in Morgan County near Laceys Springs.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:49 PM

641 posts, read 698,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
This is the best you'll get for Ditto Landing...

Ambitious master plan could turn Ditto Landing into Huntsville recreation hotspot | AL.com

Restaurants, shops, cafes are not allowed. The land was deeded to the port authority and commercial development is not allowed. I'm sure they could figure out some kind of basic store or food truck spot, but that's about it. Hopefully it becomes a better recreational spot though.

Chattanooga's river front is right along the interstate and downtown, so it works for them. Ditto Landing is too far removed from downtown or the western growth areas. Decatur is the city that should have a better riverfront development. Just wait for Huntsville/Madison to keep growing west, and they can build something along the river around 65/565/Alt 72.
Interesting stuff, Ditto Landing is enormously flood prone.

David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area