Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 01:11 PM

641 posts, read 698,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Many local residents would probably be surprised at the NASA, Army, and now FBI buildings that are out there.

Don't forget MDA (Von Braun complex). It's quite large and new!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 02:50 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
I just got back from a visit with my doctor whose office is in the Blackwell Medical Center. It seems that they've repaved the road, I suppose in part because construction of the new hospital tower is complete.

When I left the Blackwell, turned onto Sivley (with fresh new asphalt and striping) there was a guy digging a hole in the road with a hand pick! Why can't they fix things that need fixing before they pave? Now we'll have a patch there, on new pavement, for several years to come.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Don't forget MDA (Von Braun complex). It's quite large and new!
Yeah, I was including that (and Sparkman, etc.) under the Army umbrella. I suppose it might not be part of the Army? Always assumed it was. But yes, it's quite large.

Have you seen the FBI buildings under construction? They're even getting a parking garage. I worked at NASA >40 years and always had to park outside.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:24 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
[quote=RocketDawg;61664004]Yeah, I was including that (and Sparkman, etc.) under the Army umbrella. I suppose it might not be part of the Army? Always assumed it was. But yes, it's quite large.

Have you seen the FBI buildings under construction? They're even getting a parking garage. I worked at NASA >40 years and always had to park outside. [/QUOTE

Old 08-12-2021, 03:41 PM

Dallas Mill apartments under construction on Oakwood , 148 units

Old 08-12-2021, 04:05 PM

641 posts, read 698,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yeah, I was including that (and Sparkman, etc.) under the Army umbrella. I suppose it might not be part of the Army? Always assumed it was. But yes, it's quite large.

Have you seen the FBI buildings under construction? They're even getting a parking garage. I worked at NASA >40 years and always had to park outside.
Sparkman Center is Army, but MDA is a DoD civilian agency and is not Army. Similarly DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency) is civilian, but has just the one center here and a much smaller presence on Redstone than MDA.

The FBI buildings on Dodd Road are very impressive. I think there will be two parking garages.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Sparkman Center is Army, but MDA is a DoD civilian agency and is not Army. Similarly DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency) is civilian, but has just the one center here and a much smaller presence on Redstone than MDA.

The FBI buildings on Dodd Road are very impressive. I think there will be two parking garages.
They must be getting some of the "infrastructure" package.

Anyway - more power to them. Glad the FBI folks are here and others are coming.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:51 PM

653 posts, read 589,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Oh, I enjoy alright. Just not in the same way as others. Rather than building my home next to others, then trying to figure out how to deal with the pee of cats in the flowerbeds, stray labs and pitties, and squirrels in an area where pest control options are limited, I have [RIGHT NOW!] the benefits of the first phase of the zoo without the crowds.

What, you say?!?

That is correct my friends! Compare my place to the zoo.

Parking - Check. Restroom - Check. Information on animals - Check. Place to eat - Check. (Mine is better than anything they could possibly muster or cover with mustard.) Unobstructed views of nature Check. Now for the clincher...

Spoiler
At both places I can see native North Alabama wildlife!!!

Now I just have to figure out how much to charge myself, and how to get people to donate money to me.
We'll be over to your place Saturday afternoon after we get done with chores and clean up!

Here's to hoping that the zoo is realized and prospers without negatively impacting Harry's new business venture.

Old 08-14-2021, 11:14 AM

Redstone Federal Credit Union will be building an Interactive Teller Machine in Hazel Green across from Hazel Green High School in the huge housing retail complex currently under construction, 14381 HWY 231/431.

While this is not a major thing as they have several of these ITM's around town what is interesting is if there is a worse stretch of highway blight in the county I don't know where it is. From the high school south to Walker Lane, (about a two mile stretch) with few exceptions is a horrible collection of abandoned stores, car lots and shacks and basic blight, it's a pathetic collection of welcome to Alabama.
Now on the positive side with all the development across and north of the high school its just a matter of time before this slum of highway businesses is demolished and rebuilt. The land has to be too valuable to sit unused. Hazel Green and surrounding area is booming with new housing so basically they have a clean slate to work with. Would be a great time to upgrade the highway to the 21st century with lighting, widening and sign upgrades but it will be all after the fact and when it can't be done correctly.
Another note the Bank of Frankenstein's new branch under construction gets the award for the ugliest structure in Hazel Green easily beating out abandoned car lots, gas stations and the local cotton gin.

Bank of Frankewing.
https://www.bankoffrankewing.com/about-us/history

Old 08-17-2021, 06:39 AM

Technology services company KBR in Huntsville agreeing to lease more than 200,000 square feet of space at Redstone Gateway bringing the business park’s total square footage to 1.8 million.

Corporate Office Properties Trust (COPT) and its joint-venture partner Jim Wilson & Associates announced Monday development space leases with KBR in two buildings to be occupied in early 2023.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/08/tech...ness-park.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area