Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2023, 11:28 AM

23,647 posts, read 70,643,418 times

Advertisements

I have to wonder if the FBI folks coming to town have anything with the TSA agents trying to up their game? I can think of various reasons for it - possibility of job transfer to higher pay, interdepartmental cohones jangling, supervisors getting unsolicited reports, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 04:37 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,132,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I have to wonder if the FBI folks coming to town have anything with the TSA agents trying to up their game? I can think of various reasons for it - possibility of job transfer to higher pay, interdepartmental cohones jangling, supervisors getting unsolicited reports, etc..
Those new X-ray machines are partly because Huntsville go so lucky to have a senior communications chief from that company live here. Ah the benefits.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:57 PM

657 posts, read 598,531 times
A great deal of building of commercial establishments at Cliff Farms is currently occuring. I'm not sure if all are restaraunts but I found the following being listed:

BAD DADDY’S BURGER BAR
CAVA
CULVER’S
FIVE GUYS
MAPLE STREET BISCUIT COMPANY
NOTHING BUNDT CAKES
WALK-ON’S SPORTS BISTREAUX

Old 02-19-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
A great deal of building of commercial establishments at Cliff Farms is currently occuring. I'm not sure if all are restaraunts but I found the following being listed:

BAD DADDY’S BURGER BAR
CAVA
CULVER’S
FIVE GUYS
MAPLE STREET BISCUIT COMPANY
NOTHING BUNDT CAKES
WALK-ON’S SPORTS BISTREAUX
And “legacy” stores that have been running for a year, plubix, chick-fill a, taco mama.

https://cliftfarm.com/eat-directory

Driving thru the Clift neighborhood, windy roads, the siding on some of the homes was warped. Country style homes with siding that either had nail pops or warped ends so the seams were noticeable.

Old 02-20-2023, 03:34 PM

3,010 posts, read 3,613,216 times
The city of Huntsville has received a perfect credit rating from Moody’s Investors Services and S&P Global Ratings, the city announced Monday.
The ratings were required ahead of the $205 million debt issuance set for competitive sale on Feb. 23, the city announcement said. This issuance consists of four series to be used toward the following capital assets:

$75 million for public parks and other recreational activities.
$30 million for economic development land and infrastructure.
$50 million for sewer plant expansion and major equipment.
$50 million for schools, including Central Office and Career Tech academy buildings.

https://www.al.com/news/2023/02/city...it-rating.html

Old 02-20-2023, 04:41 PM

537 posts, read 455,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
The city of Huntsville has received a perfect credit rating from Moody’s Investors Services and S&P Global Ratings, the city announced Monday.
The ratings were required ahead of the $205 million debt issuance set for competitive sale on Feb. 23, the city announcement said. This issuance consists of four series to be used toward the following capital assets:

$50 million for schools, including Central Office and Career Tech academy buildings.

It's really Madison County that we're most concerned about.

We need all these north/south country lanes 4 laned. You know, the roads all the masses of people are filling up with dozens of new subdivisions in the process of being built.

Around Harvest, a couple of the new subdivisions look like they're in the 500 plus home range. There's an unlimited acreage in northwest Madison County available for the masses of new citizens and they're coming soon.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post

Why the bonds to go more into debt when the state is swimming in surplus to the point they will be reducing income taxes?

Is Huntsville not even treading water financially despite being voted the best city (#1) to live in the U.S.?

Sure hope part of the $75 million for parks isn’t to pay for the skate park that was lauded last year as being a must have for the city….

Old 02-21-2023, 09:23 AM

537 posts, read 455,779 times
I have expressed my concerns about the extremely busy Hwy 53 only having two lanes and no turn lanes for 14 miles to Ardmore, Tennessee.

The cross roads on a very fast moving Hwy 53 are diagonals making visibility difficult at all intersections.

The intersection of Toney Road and Hwy 53 is 100 yards out my back door.

Last night (2/20/2022), there was another terrible wreck at the Dominos--closing Hwy 53 for a couple of hours. The injured driver(s) were hauled away by Medivac helicopter.

My wife says there was another wreck the day before and at least 3 wrecks in the last week. In my eyes, serious wrecks are almost a weekly activity. The poor Toney Volunteer Fire Department, the Sheriff's Department and State Troopers have to face serious injuries at this intersection constantly.

The lack of a traffic light and/or turn lanes is costing lives. The only road improvements slated in the future are about 1 1/2 mile up to Harvest Road. And I am not optimistic that we citizens will be "awarded" Hwy 53 to be 4 laned in my lifetime.

This highway is a menace to society and it should be a priority for our politicians to address improvements at certain busy crossroads if they're not going to properly 4 lane Hwy 53 all the way.

Old 02-21-2023, 11:59 AM

13,097 posts, read 9,647,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
I have expressed my concerns about the extremely busy Hwy 53 only having two lanes and no turn lanes for 14 miles to Ardmore, Tennessee.

The cross roads on a very fast moving Hwy 53 are diagonals making visibility difficult at all intersections.

Last night (2/20/2022), there was another terrible wreck at the Dominos--closing Hwy 53 for a couple of hours. The injured driver(s) were hauled away by Medivac helicopter.

My wife says there was another wreck the day before and at least 3 wrecks in the last week. In my eyes, serious wrecks are almost a weekly activity. The poor Toney Volunteer Fire Department, the Sheriff's Department and State Troopers have to face serious injuries at this intersection constantly.

The lack of a traffic light and/or turn lanes is costing lives. The only road improvements slated in the future are about 1 1/2 mile up to Harvest Road. And I am not optimistic that we citizens will be "awarded" Hwy 53 to be 4 laned in my lifetime.

This highway is a menace to society and it should be a priority for our politicians to address improvements at certain busy crossroads if they're not going to properly 4 lane Hwy 53 all the way.

Do you know what the traffic counts are on Hwy 53? Looking at this site, there doesn't appear to be any traffic count stations (not sure what they're called) on the highway. https://aldotgis.dot.state.al.us/TDMPublic/ I'll guess that there's more traffic on 53 than there are on 231 between Montgomery and Dothan (which is <20,000 per day), and it's been a divided four-lane roadway for many years.

Perhaps one problem with 53 is that it's too straight, leading to people driving well above the 55 mph speed limit. I've not driven on 53 from Huntsville to Ardmore in at least 20 years, but it was fairly suburbanized in several places then. I suspect it's even more dense now.

In reality, it should be a freeway or even an Interstate but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:41 PM

23,647 posts, read 70,643,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post

IIRC, the approval and addition of traffic control measures is directly related to the number of reported accidents, as happened with Dug Hill road (which STILL has some seriously stupid drivers being aggressive in turning).

Until any such approval, you might request additional traffic enforcement to crack down on the idiots. Truthfully, as more out of state drivers bring their driving habits to rural Alabama, there will be more and more accidents. It might be time for some farmers to have to move heavy farm equipment and hay bales during those times of peak idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area