Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2023, 08:32 AM

53 posts, read 52,759 times

Advertisements

I thought the zoo was on the east side of I-65, south of Brownsferry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 10:04 AM

3,010 posts, read 3,612,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8grd View Post
I thought the zoo was on the east side of I-65, south of Brownsferry.
not the original site location
https://whnt.com/news/north-alabamas...as-a-location/

Old 08-11-2023, 12:02 PM

13,095 posts, read 9,643,070 times
Anyone know why cargo handled at HSV is down so much? From May 2022 to May 2023 it's down 15.53% and the national rank is down as well so it's not strictly a national issue (I seem to recall it was 83rd three or four years ago; now it's 96th).

Passenger traffic, however, continues to increase at a very nice rate - about 21% year over year.

I think cargo traffic went up substantially because of Covid, so a falloff is natural, but to this degree? Did we lose an airline or some such?

Old 08-11-2023, 12:28 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,859,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Anyone know why cargo handled at HSV is down so much? From May 2022 to May 2023 it's down 15.53% and the national rank is down as well so it's not strictly a national issue (I seem to recall it was 83rd three or four years ago; now it's 96th).

Passenger traffic, however, continues to increase at a very nice rate - about 21% year over year.

I think cargo traffic went up substantially because of Covid, so a falloff is natural, but to this degree? Did we lose an airline or some such?
Frontier pulled out but I wouldn't think that has anything to do with cargo. I don't think anybody misses them either.

Old 08-11-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Demand for air cargo services worldwide remains on the decline.
One issue that will impact operations somewhat is US cargo carrier Western Global Airlines (which serves HSV for Kerry Logistics Hong Kong Asia flights) declaring Chapter 11 bankruptcy but supposedly will continue to operate during this restructuring. Western Global’s business has significantly declined in the past year from the peak shipping demand triggered by the coronavirus pandemic, making it more difficult to make debt payments and leading to a liquidity crunch. The overall market is down 7% to 10% over the past 16 months and airlines are reporting sharply lower revenues for cargo. Amazon, Western Global’s largest customer, ended its contract in January. Not sure what figures you are looking at(US Cargo only maybe?) but total freight weight (in/out) so far this year is down 13% with a half year remaining. On a side the HSV Foreign Trade zone number is 83.
Last year Huntsville was ranked No. 19 for international air cargo volume in the U.S.
Nonstop Freighter service has increased as of last year with weekly flights to Luxembourg; Hong Kong; Shanghai; and Sao Paulo, Brazil. Kerry Logistics late last year wanted to add Nonstop flights from Hanoi, Vietnam but haven't yet.
Currently Atlas Air 747 freighter is en route to Huntsville from Hong Kong after a stop in Anchorage, scheduled landing 6:32. Always fun to watch those birds.

Last edited by AU HSV; 08-11-2023 at 02:08 PM..

Old 08-11-2023, 05:16 PM

13,095 posts, read 9,643,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Demand for air cargo services worldwide remains on the decline.
One issue that will impact operations somewhat is US cargo carrier Western Global Airlines (which serves HSV for Kerry Logistics Hong Kong Asia flights) declaring Chapter 11 bankruptcy but supposedly will continue to operate during this restructuring. Western Global’s business has significantly declined in the past year from the peak shipping demand triggered by the coronavirus pandemic, making it more difficult to make debt payments and leading to a liquidity crunch. The overall market is down 7% to 10% over the past 16 months and airlines are reporting sharply lower revenues for cargo. Amazon, Western Global’s largest customer, ended its contract in January. Not sure what figures you are looking at(US Cargo only maybe?) but total freight weight (in/out) so far this year is down 13% with a half year remaining. On a side the HSV Foreign Trade zone number is 83.
Last year Huntsville was ranked No. 19 for international air cargo volume in the U.S.
Nonstop Freighter service has increased as of last year with weekly flights to Luxembourg; Hong Kong; Shanghai; and Sao Paulo, Brazil. Kerry Logistics late last year wanted to add Nonstop flights from Hanoi, Vietnam but haven't yet.
Currently Atlas Air 747 freighter is en route to Huntsville from Hong Kong after a stop in Anchorage, scheduled landing 6:32. Always fun to watch those birds.
I meant to include a link but failed to. Try this: https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airpor...&pn44vr4=SNPgf

If it doesn't come up with Huntsville International, then click on "show all airports (by state)" and navigate to Huntsville. This is an interesting site that's updated monthly for all airports in the US. I'm not sure if the cargo numbers are just for cargo flights or for cargo that's carried on regular passenger airline flights or not. It shows how HSV ranks with all other airports for both passengers and cargo. I'm sure we used to rank 83rd (just a coincidence with the foreign trade zone number) just a few years ago, and are now 96th.

Earlier this week there was at least one MD11 (might've been 2) and a 747 sitting in the cargo area. Plus, the Antonov 124 was there one day last week but I believe they normally carry space-oriented payloads in and out of here.

Old 08-11-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I meant to include a link but failed to. Try this: https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airpor...&pn44vr4=SNPgf

If it doesn't come up with Huntsville International, then click on "show all airports (by state)" and navigate to Huntsville. This is an interesting site that's updated monthly for all airports in the US. I'm not sure if the cargo numbers are just for cargo flights or for cargo that's carried on regular passenger airline flights or not. It shows how HSV ranks with all other airports for both passengers and cargo. I'm sure we used to rank 83rd (just a coincidence with the foreign trade zone number) just a few years ago, and are now 96th.

Earlier this week there was at least one MD11 (might've been 2) and a 747 sitting in the cargo area. Plus, the Antonov 124 was there one day last week but I believe they normally carry space-oriented payloads in and out of here.
yeah that looks to be just US Flights only, going by the Summary Data header title in blue.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:34 PM

82 posts, read 76,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
At the Space and Rocket Center from WHNT

The U.S. Space & Rocket Center (USSRC) will be breaking ground on the newly renovated Rocket Park on Thursday. The event will take place at the site where they plan to reinstall five historic rockets in the newly configured and expanded park.

In 2018, the USSRC removed its U.S. Army Redstone, Jupiter, Jupiter-C, Juno II, and Mercury-Redstone rockets, which were mounted before opening in 1970.

These rockets make up the Redstone family of rockets, which led to the development of Saturn I, and ultimately, Saturn V, which took Americans to the moon.

The Rocket Park project includes remounting the rockets, a new amphitheater for educational experiences and community events, and greener, guest-friendly spaces. Another significant feature is the Marshall Retirees Association’s Space Exploration Memorial.

The memorial will include the names of thousands of local people and various companies who have supported space exploration as employees of NASA Marshall Space Flight Center.The rockets were restored at Cosmos Aerospace in Cullman, including repairs and repainting. A Space Camp parent from California helped significantly with funding for the restoration.

The new Rocket Park, as well as the new Space Camp Operations Center, is part of an ongoing renewal of the Rocket Center campus.

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/u-s...d-rocket-park/
Who manages the Rocket Park on Redstone south of MSFC? It is need of some serious TLC.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:36 PM

82 posts, read 76,141 times
More one the new Resolute interchange… sorta hard to believe this is such a priority for the city.

Resolute Way Roadway Construction a Go for Liftoff

In another part of Huntsville, the Resolute Way interchange at Interstate 565, just west of Research Park Boulevard, and designed to improve access to the Army's Redstone Arsenal, is now scheduled for construction in three years.

That was the word in early August from the Arsenal's Directorate of Public Works (DPW).
"The project is a four-lane divided roadway allowing access on and off I-565 from the west of Redstone Arsenal in order to alleviate traffic congestion and safety issues associated with the existing Research Park interchange," Jake Roth, chief of master planning with the Garrison's DPW, told the Redstone Rocket, published weekly by the Army Garrison-Redstone Public Affairs Office.
When complete, the interchange at I-565 will give Redstone Arsenal employees and personnel who work in the Redstone Gateway development another traffic route to get onto the installation or into the back of the Gateway development.

The interchange is one of seven road projects that the Huntsville Mayor highlighted in his State of the City address late last year.

Battle said then that the projects, part of the second phase of the Restore Our Roads initiative that was estimated to cost about $800 million, will "positively reshape how we move around the city." The initiative also included the East Arsenal Connector that will run from the I-565 Sparkman Drive exit to Patton Road.

"We have a great relationship with the city and surrounding community and want to be aware of our impact on local roads," Roth explained. "We appreciate the support of the city, ALDOT [Alabama Department of Transportation] and FHWA [Federal Highway Administration] in moving this project forward into the next stages of design."

The Resolute Way project is slated for construction in 2026, he said. "We have a long way to go and a lot of work to get done before then," Roth added. "We have identified a route that seems to meet all Redstone and FHWA requirements and have conceptual plans in place."

Additionally, the Arsenal's DPW recently completed its environmental documentation for National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) compliance, Roth said, noting that his office's next steps will be in "working toward completed design drawings and [coordinating] with the city on real estate transactions necessary to allow the project to occur."

NEPA requires federal agencies to assess the environmental effects of their proposed actions before making decisions, the Redstone Rocket noted in its Aug. 8 edition.

"Our current path forward is to complete an easement dedicated to the city for the construction of the interchange modification," Roth told the base's news source. "This area encompasses approximately 38 acres of Army property and requires use of existing right of way along I-565 as well as the potential for acquisition of 6.3 additional acres necessary to complete the roadway construction."
The Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is "our land-holding command and would be ultimately responsible for determining the exact language and type of agreement executed between the Army and the city, state, or other federal entities," according to Roth.

USACE will need to demolish two small existing buildings that remain in the field just west of Rideout Road, he said, and "we plan to begin that work late this calendar year to move forward with the required land transactions once unincumbered."

Old 08-12-2023, 05:42 AM

38 posts, read 43,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcaub View Post
More one the new Resolute interchange… sorta hard to believe this is such a priority for the city.

Resolute Way Roadway Construction a Go for Liftoff

In another part of Huntsville, the Resolute Way interchange at Interstate 565, just west of Research Park Boulevard, and designed to improve access to the Army's Redstone Arsenal, is now scheduled for construction in three years.

That was the word in early August from the Arsenal's Directorate of Public Works (DPW).
"The project is a four-lane divided roadway allowing access on and off I-565 from the west of Redstone Arsenal in order to alleviate traffic congestion and safety issues associated with the existing Research Park interchange," Jake Roth, chief of master planning with the Garrison's DPW, told the Redstone Rocket, published weekly by the Army Garrison-Redstone Public Affairs Office.
When complete, the interchange at I-565 will give Redstone Arsenal employees and personnel who work in the Redstone Gateway development another traffic route to get onto the installation or into the back of the Gateway development.

The interchange is one of seven road projects that the Huntsville Mayor highlighted in his State of the City address late last year.

Battle said then that the projects, part of the second phase of the Restore Our Roads initiative that was estimated to cost about $800 million, will "positively reshape how we move around the city." The initiative also included the East Arsenal Connector that will run from the I-565 Sparkman Drive exit to Patton Road.

"We have a great relationship with the city and surrounding community and want to be aware of our impact on local roads," Roth explained. "We appreciate the support of the city, ALDOT [Alabama Department of Transportation] and FHWA [Federal Highway Administration] in moving this project forward into the next stages of design."

The Resolute Way project is slated for construction in 2026, he said. "We have a long way to go and a lot of work to get done before then," Roth added. "We have identified a route that seems to meet all Redstone and FHWA requirements and have conceptual plans in place."

Additionally, the Arsenal's DPW recently completed its environmental documentation for National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) compliance, Roth said, noting that his office's next steps will be in "working toward completed design drawings and [coordinating] with the city on real estate transactions necessary to allow the project to occur."

NEPA requires federal agencies to assess the environmental effects of their proposed actions before making decisions, the Redstone Rocket noted in its Aug. 8 edition.

"Our current path forward is to complete an easement dedicated to the city for the construction of the interchange modification," Roth told the base's news source. "This area encompasses approximately 38 acres of Army property and requires use of existing right of way along I-565 as well as the potential for acquisition of 6.3 additional acres necessary to complete the roadway construction."
The Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is "our land-holding command and would be ultimately responsible for determining the exact language and type of agreement executed between the Army and the city, state, or other federal entities," according to Roth.

USACE will need to demolish two small existing buildings that remain in the field just west of Rideout Road, he said, and "we plan to begin that work late this calendar year to move forward with the required land transactions once unincumbered."
I wonder if there is a longer term goal to have it connect directly to Madison Pike via Diamond or further down closer to Indian Creek to alleviate traffic on Rideout?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area