Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 01:31 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,595,554 times

Advertisements

I am trying to help a friend with this...His out of state employer wants him to find a local Authorized Representative to verify his I9? Does anyone know of someone in Huntsville that would do such a thing. He already tried asking notaries and his bank but nobody wants to get involved.

Note that he just wants someone to sign off on the I9. He doesn't want anything notarized. Besides Notaries aren't allow to do this officially anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 03:53 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Sounds like the employer is foisting off THEIR responsibility onto the employee. This is what I would write.

"In compliance with the law, I am offering for your inspection the required documentation from list A or list B and my part of a completed I-9 form. I have been advised that someone already in the employ of your company in a suitable supervisory role must be the one to inspect these documents - or your company must provide an authorized representative available to me to inspect those documents.

I regret that I am apparently not allowed to comply with your request to "find" a local authorized representative for you. If I was to perform this task for you, and act as your representative in supplying you with a third party to attest to the veracity of my documents, it would be a violation of the intent of the law and would not absolve you of any error in the documentation if there were any.

I hold your company in high esteem and, as much as I would like to help in this matter, I would not want to subject you to any possible ramifications of my overstepping the bounds set by the government. I will await your request for facsimiles of the documents or inspection of them by a representative of your choosing."

I'm not certain, but my guess is that a local temp agency or payroll services provider might act as an "authorized representative" in return for a fee, since they have to do this on an ongoing basis anyway.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,595,554 times
The out of state company is Mosaic. Their website seems professional enough but who knows. My friend already worked some hours for them but has yet to be paid. I wonder if he ever will get paid.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:50 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,106 times
It's the company responsibility to do this. If the company is worried about validity of documents presented by out of state (and I'm guessing remote working?) employees, then the company needs to pay the worker as an independent contractor. An I9 is not required for contractors, although Mosaic would have to ensure the work conditions meet the requirements to qualify the worker as a contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: