Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:10 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,664 times

Advertisements

I have been a "lurker" for quite awhile and feel that I know many of you...thank you for making this move the easiest we will have!!! We are coming from Texas, my hubby is already in Huntsville working as an engineer at Redstone and I am in IL at a hotel near my mother until we can get our home repaired and sold after hurricane Ike(9/08). The kids and I will most likely move this summer, buy a house, and the kids will start school in the fall. We are considering the Hampton Cove area(however Madison was on the list initially-I learn more each day and with more knowledge I seem to know less and change my mind more ; ).

My question is regarding the statewide truancy policy that seems to infringe on parental rights. Does it? I have never had a problem in the past, however, my daughter has missed 12 days of school this year, 4 due to a family vacation(and the year isn't over yet). This is beyond the 10 day policy and therefore under AL law we would be subject to a meeting with the district attorney and a truant officer. Our vacation would have also not been excused.

Personally I was outraged and when I found that others were not I thought maybe the policy wasn't as harsh as it sounded on paper. What has everyone else experienced?

Thanks for any input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
Those are unexcused days, yes.

Personally, I think that taking that much vacation time during the school year is irresponsible. I know mothers who take their daughters out of school to go shopping. Sorry, but I put a higher priority on my children's education than shopping.

You could try the private school route.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Maybe home schooling would be a better alternative for you.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM

Maybe home schooling would be a better alternative for you.

I have seriously considered it, there are so many wonderful homeschooling resources in Huntsville as well as other parts of Alabama for that matter. Maybe we will look into it again. My daughter was looking forward to going to school with her neighbors this year as she has been in a charter school almost an hour from home for 2 years and this year she is the newcomer with no real home(we are living in a hotel and were in my mother's home until construction started). However I guess we don't get everything we want in life ; )

Personally, I think that taking that much vacation time during the school year is irresponsible. I know mothers who take their daughters out of school to go shopping. Sorry, but I put a higher priority on my children's education than shopping.

I can guarantee you that my children learned more on their vacation than the children in school did the week before Christmas break when there was a party EVERY day that we missed-Plus we got to make up those few worksheets that the rest of the kids did manage to fit in between the parties. We are talking 2nd grade here, not high school.

I asked a question to get a serious answer, not to be judged by what type of parent I am. All parents are different, all children are different and circumstances of each change daily, I won't pretend to know your circumstances, please don't pretend to know mine. How do you know there wasn't a legitimate reason for those parents you mentioned to take their children shopping? Last year I had cancer and went through chemo, mid-way through I pulled my daughter for a day of museums, I am sure you could judge that also, but her teacher thought it was the best thing for her after her fairy Godmother wish was that I wouldn't die(the rest of the kids wished for baby siblings, puppies, toys, etc). Life was better for her after that-she knew I wasn't going to die quite yet, sometimes it is needed as much as any other sick day.

This October Kenz went from her charter school in Texas to a nationally ranked private school in IL(they received the Excellence in Education the first year it was introduced and they were the only parochial school on the list that year), the transition has been seemless and she is top in her class in science-so I guess I am doing something right ; )

My mother had a deal with me when I was in high school, she would write a note to excuse me anytime I wanted, as long as I maintained a 4.6 or higher. I kept a 4.867 so that I could take a half day off here and there to catch a baseball game or go to the beach. I was a member of National Honor Society, graduated in the top 10% of an excellent school, so it worked for me, again, everyone is different.

So from the responses I take it that the local schools really are that strict with policy. There was a blurb that vacation could be approved and I didn't know if that was really the case or not. There was a blurb about needing Dr's notes for sicknesses to be excused-thought that was silly and has to make things pretty hectic at the local pediatrician's office during cold/flu season. I guess I am not used to other people telling me how to raise my children or when they are sick enough to be able to stay home-we all have different standards.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post

My question is regarding the statewide truancy policy that seems to infringe on parental rights. Does it?

Personally I was outraged and when I found that others were not I thought maybe the policy wasn't as harsh as it sounded on paper. What has everyone else experienced?
First question, Does it infringe on parental rights? Unless the laws (truancy policy vs. parental rights) contradict each other, then no.

Second question, not outraged as I expect these laws. (I think school districts get money from the state when kids in those districts are in school...don't know the details.) I wouldn't mind if government (public) schools were nonexistent, or at least compulsory education was non-existent. All private. All voluntary.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:27 PM

23 posts, read 100,191 times
tammie2,

From what I have seen, the schools have been pretty strict about the policy. However, I have never been "required" to have a doctor's excuse to obtain an excused absence. A note from the parent stating that the child was home sick will get you an excused absence and a note from the doctor may be needed when the child misses several days in a row. The only time I ever received an unexcused absence was when I failed to send in a note.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,285,522 times
I am a teacher in this area and there are reasons for the enforcement of the absence policy. Just a few short years ago 3 elementary children died due to starvation in Huntsville City. These children were enrolled in school, yet no one checked on their long term absence from school. Perhaps, they might be alive today if HCS had then been as strict as they are now.
As to time off for a family trip, with advance notice we have always been willing to work with parents when extended time out of school is needed. Parents who contact school principals or counselors most often find cooperation in these situations. We do realize the importance of family time and the educational value these types of trips can provide.
Also, please remember that while you may be a parent of excellence, sadly not all parents are good parents. Attendance policies are designed to keep children progressing toward the overall goal of learning, but they are also to protect children from being neglected. When students are absent for too many days with no contact from parents we check on them.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:14 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,060 times
I'm sorry your question was answered so rudely.

When we lived in Georgia, we had to deal with the same policy when my daughter was out of school 12 days primarily due to illness. The key is unexcused absences, and we had no problem with the policy by providing a note from our family physician. (I'm sure it also helped that she had straight A's in spite of the absences.)

The primary reason the schools make a fuss about this is not concern for the children, it is concern for funding, because funding is based on attendance, and they view every absence as money out of their pocket.

I promise you will find Huntsville in general much friendlier and more welcoming than what you received in this thread.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 AM

Thanks so much for the replies, it sounds like maybe it isn't as bad as it sounds and put in place mainly for the extreme cases, not for our 8 sick days and 4 vacation days.

If you read the legislation, the law is written in a manner that the school can choose to accept a note from a parent or not and require a physicians note. The school can choose to approve a vacation, or not. There is too much that can be changed against the parent and I was unsure what was excercised and what wasn't.

Thanks for the additional input!! Hopefully we can reach the best decision for our family over the summer!!!

I'm sorry your question was answered so rudely.

No worries, we all have off days. I have seen a great sense of community on this board in the past and as I said, I feel like I know many of you!!

The kids and I have been to visit and it is a very friendly city, we loved it so far.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:35 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
hey teach - my nephew in HSV City Schools was recently denied an excused absence for one day to visit with family at the hospital (childbirth). He is a good student / good attendence. The principal was not cooperative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area