Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 08:07 AM

146 posts, read 161,293 times

Advertisements

Need to do some repairs to my irrigation system / yard sprinkler system - any recommendations? Accidentally busted a pipe right where 3 of the valves are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 AM

266 posts, read 396,674 times
This is probably one of the easier DIY repairs to make on your own. Typically sprinkler pipe isn't buried all that deep, mine are buried about 6" deep in the lawn and right below the surface in my planting beds. Then you can use something like this to eliminate the need for glue:
Orbit 3/4 in. PVC-Lock Slide Repair Fitting-37783 - The Home Depot
here is a video from Orbit on its use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z9RPr0Mwlo

I have had to repair a few broken sprinkler lines and using glue is a bit of a pain, because you have to expose soooo much pipe in order to fit in a repair coupling. The next time i need to make a repair I am buying this.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:27 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Pretty sure code says 12" below ground level.

I've used either AA or AAA Irrigation (can't remember the name, but it's one of those in the yellow pages) for repairs with good service and work quality.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:52 AM

218 posts, read 277,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnygreek View Post
This is probably one of the easier DIY repairs to make on your own. Typically sprinkler pipe isn't buried all that deep, mine are buried about 6" deep in the lawn and right below the surface in my planting beds. Then you can use something like this to eliminate the need for glue:

I have had to repair a few broken sprinkler lines and using glue is a bit of a pain, because you have to expose soooo much pipe in order to fit in a repair coupling. The next time i need to make a repair I am buying this.
I'm not a fan of using these on mainlines (constant pressure). I've used them on repairs past the valve though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Pretty sure code says 12" below ground level.
Code says 6" below frost line or minimum 12" for exterior water supply system piping (IPC 2003 - 305.6).

Not sure that applies to irrigation systems though. Definitely doesn't for the piping past the valves. Never seen any residential irrigation system with anything over 6" deep.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:37 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r x f View Post
I'm not a fan of using these on mainlines (constant pressure). I've used them on repairs past the valve though.

Code says 6" below frost line or minimum 12" for exterior water supply system piping (IPC 2003 - 305.6).

Not sure that applies to irrigation systems though. Definitely doesn't for the piping past the valves. Never seen any residential irrigation system with anything over 6" deep.
The guy who installed my system told me at least 12" was required.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:52 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmoyne View Post
Need to do some repairs to my irrigation system / yard sprinkler system - any recommendations? Accidentally busted a pipe right where 3 of the valves are.
B&C Irrigation, great guys, honest, and do a very good job. B & C Irrigation - sprinker systems Madison, Huntsville, Alabama - Installation, Servicing sprinkler, irrigation, lighting systems

Old 07-17-2017, 01:03 PM

151 posts, read 296,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post

A strong second recommendation for B&C. They installed our sprinklers when we had our house built, have serviced them since, and also redid our back yard recently after we had a pool installed, and then laid sod in the yard also. They are good people.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:04 PM

375 posts, read 513,578 times
Several of my neighbors have used ProScapes and been very pleased with their responsiveness, workmanship, and pricing.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:22 AM

Finally got around to calling B&C, receptionist started rattling off a list of prices, I said hold on, all I want is an estimate to begin with. She said they didn't do that, $75 bucks to show up and start, and the costs goes up from there. So basically they wanted $75 for an estimate. No thanks.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 AM

Eventually went to Keeling Company, on Madison BLVD, they gave me a card from Thronzo Robinson 256-690-1019, he came out, did a great job and fixed a couple of other issues. Would recommend him for any size job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: