Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 06:30 PM

642 posts, read 702,507 times

Advertisements

I had a question about jury duty and decided to put it into this existing thread.

I have lived in Madison County for over 35 years, and have only been called for jury duty one time. I think it was around 2004. I showed up and they had called in way too many jurors and ended up excusing anybody who wanted out. So I did that.

I thought that most areas had difficulty in getting jurors, and that especially once you showed up you would get called back once you were eligible again.

I'm just really surprised to be only called once in such a long time. Now that I'm retired, I might actually enjoy it.

Can others chime in on their experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 10:30 AM

13,069 posts, read 9,592,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
I had a question about jury duty and decided to put it into this existing thread.

I have lived in Madison County for over 35 years, and have only been called for jury duty one time. I think it was around 2004. I showed up and they had called in way too many jurors and ended up excusing anybody who wanted out. So I did that.

I thought that most areas had difficulty in getting jurors, and that especially once you showed up you would get called back once you were eligible again.

I'm just really surprised to be only called once in such a long time. Now that I'm retired, I might actually enjoy it.

Can others chime in on their experiences?
I've had essentiall the same issues. One time got called, but it was during the time when I was in Air Force basic training, so of course I didn't go. The second was similar to yours - they called twice as many as they needed and I was one of the ones sent home. Was called for federal jury duty, and it was canceled before the time to serve. So I've never been on a jury.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:23 PM

483 posts, read 632,024 times
I am 56 years old and never have have I been sent a juror's summons. I've voted since I was 18 so I have no idea why? It's just odd to me that I've never been summoned and have friends that have served multiple times. Not sure I'd want to as everyone seems to say it's a time sucker.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:10 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,599,169 times
Jurors in Alabama are selected randomly from an alphabetical master list of jurors.

The juror list may be compiled using information from:
* voter registrations
* registered motor vehicles
* driver's licenses

Other lists that may be used are:
* utility customers
* persons listing property
* ad valorem taxation

In the forty years I have lived in Huntsville I have been called to jury duty maybe 5 to 6 times. None of these were federal cases.

When I was first called in the 80's they obviously called too few potential jurors because the judge said nobody would be excused unless they had a really good reason. In the last 20 years they tended to call a much larger number so the judges said that if anyone wanted excused he would be within reason. However if excused his name would go back into the juror pool.

Potentially you would have to come every day for a week but if all trials have been set before the end of the week you were told you were dismissed then. I remember being dismissed after coming in 2 or 3 days.

Forty years ago the only entertainment was a small rack of paperback books. It was nice when they provided a few computers in the juror waiting room. Also since they provided free WiFi you could bring your own mobile device. This helped to pass the time.

I remember most of the cases were auto accident ones. In all the times called I served in one of the auto accident cases. One time there was a capital murder case. I am glad I was not selected for that one.

They called maybe 20-25 potential jurors for each court case. From them both the prosecution and defense lawyers would question each one to determine who they wanted to strike from the pool. They would end up with 12 jurors + alternates. BTW, if you really wanted out you could figure out how to answer the lawyers questions to insure you were stricken. If stricken you were sent back to the waiting room.

I have a sleep disorder that causes me to fall asleep any time. It has gotten a lot worse in the last 15 years. The 2nd last time I was called to jury duty I told the judge I could not guarantee that I would not fall asleep during a trial. I was excused. The last time I was called I called the courthouse to explain the same situation. This time I did not even have to show up. I have not been called for jury duty since then. I assume I have been permanently removed from the juror pool.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:16 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,447,283 times
Husband was called for federal court in Huntsville (we're in Decatur). I don't think he was ever called for a case.
He and I both have been called for circuit court in Morgan County several times. I served for only one trial - we found a guy guilty of being found on a drug raid. He was a repeat offender and trying to fight it because he was going back to prison for a long time. Husband served on two trials and was elected foreman for one. Both cases involved insurance fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area