Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:05 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,392,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by financelife View Post
haha, I loved your analogy. You are right. I guess, I just mean Huntsvillians don't seem to care about it. When I did live there, I loved meeting my wife to have lunch at the park and watch the pigeons do their funny mating dances. Also, conerts in the park were good and as you said, free, just take your lawn chairs.

The other point I didn't make clear was that Huntsville is still not large enough to make an inner city park attractive. Monte Sano park is a really nice place to visit with its trails and playgrounds and bbq areas.
Yeah I get your point about an inner city park is not as big a deal in Huntsville because there being so many other nicer options available. I think a park downtown is useless if thats the ONLY thing you have down there because there are areas around city that offer a better outdoors experience if thats all you are looking for. For instance, Green Mountain Park, Monte Sano, Guntersville, Wheeler, etc the list goes on. I think what makes parks in the city so attractive such as Central Park is that they offer a nature experience in the middle of the city. Of course that doesn't mean people aren't going to go to the park in Huntsville with our lacking downtown, but I don't think a park should inhibit downtown development like the city council is trying to use as excuse now. Because a downtown park is worthless if there is nothing else downtown worth going to besides the park. Downtown Huntsville even though it is lacking and is not what it COULD be, Big Spring park isn't the only thing down there. But if they continue to inhibit development with height restrictions and with the rising costs of land in Madison County developers will look elsewhere. I even hear there is a clause that says if the Holiday Inn closes it has to be demolished and become part of the park. I'm all for greenspace but there's no point of having a park downtown with NO BUILDINGS.. this isn't the country this is the center of a city with a metro area of almost 400K and a region of almost 700K!

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 03-31-2008 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 09:58 AM

168 posts, read 559,944 times
While I disagree with the height restriction, maybe there will be a new downtown develop around the proposed Constellation project. The new downtown could spread west along Clinton and north/south down Monroe and Church.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 39,586 times
Default resident of danville va

I personally think all of your ideas are great, I also feel like city managers need to focus on businesses that are already here and try to find some new direction concerning ideas. Downtown is capable of alot of things but remember businesses such as the library which is suppose to serve as a main attraction that people here in Danville hardly utilize. What would new businesses have to gain if old businesses are not prosperous. I also feel like residents such as myself aren't exposed to alot of change so it's hard for people to be receptive to new things if change is just catered to a certain crowd. Find something that everyone enjoys, young, old, rich, poor, black or white.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamoore View Post
While I disagree with the height restriction, maybe there will be a new downtown develop around the proposed Constellation project. The new downtown could spread west along Clinton and north/south down Monroe and Church.

Constellation hotel breaking ground Wednesday - Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com

Old 08-16-2008, 08:35 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
He mentions trying to get a "green grocery" into the development. I'm assuming he's shooting for a Whole Foods or Wild Oats. I'd love to see a Trader Joe's in that location, I think it would do extremely well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area