Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 03:13 PM

653 posts, read 590,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
In the Northeast, especially in the Bos-Wash corridor and even more so within the greater NYC area, the (half) joke about going for Chinese food on Christmas is that is what the sizable Jewish community in that region does......
Same for south Florida. Often went out with friends on the night of Christmas to catch a movie or hang out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 03:52 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,058,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
I'm still laughing at this response.

Do you think an entire restaurant is going to open just for me and my wife? I wish I had that kind of pull.
Or rather decide to go home and be with their families just because you don't show up.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:06 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,097,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
In the Northeast, especially in the Bos-Wash corridor and even more so within the greater NYC area, the (half) joke about going for Chinese food on Christmas is that is what the sizable Jewish community in that region does......
We lived in Connecticut when this started. The first year we were up there, we had no family and not a lot of friends. But the local Chinese place was open, and was really good. "Open Christmas Day" was the sign on the road. So we decided that's what we would do. My wife wouldn't have too cook, nothing to clean, would be funny. Green Tea was the name of the place, amazing Peking Duck.

The next year my teenage son had two friends and they wanted to join us, so we now had 5. They came with us through graduation. It was our new tradition.

In Huntsville we don't have the options, but we've managed to do it 8/10 years we have lived here. One year we did it in Cincinnati - didn't find a great place. Last year - Chicago - WOW! We went to a new level of awesome Chinese food (Still not as good as Green Tea), but really good.

If we weren't dog sitting this year we were thinking of going to Nashville to visit the kid with his bride, but alas, they are going back to Chicago to see the in-laws

Christmas Story, Midnight Mass, and Chinese for Christmas dinner, love this tradition.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:49 AM

614 posts, read 767,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Why don’t you just stay home and cook your own Christmas meal. Let restaurants enjoy once a year off to be with families and friends.

So you are in favor of those in the service industry getting sent home for a day instead of getting the work and tips? How nice of you.

We have eaten at 88 Buffet on Christmas day. Waffle House is also a good choice.

This is one of the few times I will say that al dot com has good information. They will run an article about what is open and closed on Christmas day.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:15 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
We have been doing Chinese for Christmas for 16 years, but so hard to find good Chinese out west, and end up driving across town to Airport Rd.

So we are now exploring other options.

Any ideas?
IHOP. We started going there 8 years ago when my son was in the NICU.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:38 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,097,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
IHOP. We started going there 8 years ago when my son was in the NICU.
I understand that, but I don't like Ihop on a good day.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:32 AM

614 posts, read 767,010 times
Quote:

I am not a huge IHOP fan either. The place that nails the same IHOP atmosphere is Denny's, and they will be open on Christmas. I might just change plans and go there this year.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:26 AM

641 posts, read 699,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
I am not a huge IHOP fan either. The place that nails the same IHOP atmosphere is Denny's, and they will be open on Christmas. I might just change plans and go there this year.

Is the remodeling complete - on Sunday it still looked to be closed.

I'm probably in for Waffle House.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Is the remodeling complete - on Sunday it still looked to be closed.
Which one was being remodeled?

Old 12-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
To each his own. I'm not a huge fan either, but it is pretty hard to mess up a stack of pancakes and it is interesting to see who all is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area