Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 08:28 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times

Advertisements

A certain investigative reporter for one of the local tv stations just preened on air like a vulture with a piece of rotten flesh in his beak when he discovered that a magistrate up for review in Huntsville because of drawing a gun in a parking lot had - TWENTY years ago - been part of a drunken debacle with others in his peer group, when police investigation only went back ten years to insure the individual had character.

This station HAD been awarded a commendation. Apparently, wherever that award came from, those responsible must have left.

What I now want to know, as part of MY deep investigation into news media reporting, is if this particular investigative reporter had wet his bed twenty years ago or skipped school.

I understand deep discovery. I understand the idea of making sure relevant stuff doesn't get swept under a carpet. I also understand cub reporters in search of cookies from bosses trying to make a name for themselves by going beyond the pale.

Were I station manager, this cub would be severely cuffed and given a leave of absence to take time to consider the difference between real reporting and sensationalist dredging up of irrelevant BS.

I had previously had hopes the kid would be an asset to the community. I no longer want to even bother with his "reporting," nor am I interested in following the station, since the one weathercaster who had a measured and intelligent forecast has retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 06:01 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,906,621 times
Sadly this is what our "so called" news media has become. I was hoping our local outlets would actually stick to just the news!

Old 07-10-2022, 08:00 AM

295 posts, read 236,285 times
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the "cub reporter". He/she could have been given the assignment from someone in management, and told to research and do a report on it. And someone above them also had to decide that it should be on the air. All the folks up the line can be blamed.

But I agree, newscasting has sadly deteriorated over the years. Even the Hsv Times, which is now digitally The Huntsville Lede instead of a scan of the paper version, is half opinion columns.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:02 AM

12,990 posts, read 9,516,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the "cub reporter". He/she could have been given the assignment from someone in management, and told to research and do a report on it. And someone above them also had to decide that it should be on the air. All the folks up the line can be blamed.

But I agree, newscasting has sadly deteriorated over the years. Even the Hsv Times, which is now digitally The Huntsville Lede instead of a scan of the paper version, is half opinion columns.
One would think a city of this size would have better, more experienced reporters. Normally, reporters start in smaller markets and work their way up. Some of ours are like it's their first job - more like you'd get in Tupelo, MS, a city of under 40K.

Regarding "newspapers", the worst thing that ever happened was when al.com took over the major papers here, Birmingham, and Mobile. It wasn't so bad at first, but now it's degenerated into a Birmingham-centric left-wing opinioin piece with an occasional news piece.

I don't subscribe to the Lede, but it might be worth a trial. The Times was a good paper, and even the News was good with morning coffee. I miss a real paper - a good secondary use was to polish your windshield glass with the B&W paper after reading, not to mention lining bird cages (if you had a bird).

Old 07-10-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Regarding "newspapers", the worst thing that ever happened was when al.com took over the major papers here, Birmingham, and Mobile. It wasn't so bad at first, but now it's degenerated into a Birmingham-centric left-wing opinioin piece with an occasional news piece.
Keep in mind Al.com is owned by Advance Publicans out of New York City so it is not really an Alabama publication.

Old 07-10-2022, 04:44 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,585,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Keep in mind Al.com is owned by Advance Publicans out of New York City so it is not really an Alabama publication.
Well they have to have at least 10 mandatory uat football pieces every day.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:35 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
This sort of stuff is one of the primary reasons I quit watching the so called "news" about 13 years ago. It is just nonsense. Also, almost every single news story that I had first hand actual knowledge of, the local news media got facts wrong or put a little wording twist on it to sensationalize it a little. I decided I didn't need the aggravation anymore and quit watching. Try it, you will find that after a few weeks or a couple of months if you try to watch it, you will find yourself so aggravated within a couple of minutes you will turn it back off.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:47 AM

34 posts, read 87,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Well they have to have at least 10 mandatory uat football pieces every day.
Don't worry AU HSV, basketball season will be here before you know it. Since AUau fans call themselves a basketball school now who cares if they're writing about UA football?

Back to the subject at hand. I have noticed the news having a more left leaning slant for almost a decade now. I just don't watch anymore. Concerning AL.com, they don't even act impartial. All their opinion pieces are slanted left. I'm not asking for it to be Breitbart or anything, but I would love for SOMETHING in the media to have opinions and stories on both sides. Guess we will never get that

Old 07-12-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
Don't worry AU HSV, basketball season will be here before you know it. Since AUau fans call themselves a basketball school now who cares if they're writing about UA football?

Back to the subject at hand. I have noticed the news having a more left leaning slant for almost a decade now. I just don't watch anymore. Concerning AL.com, they don't even act impartial. All their opinion pieces are slanted left. I'm not asking for it to be Breitbart or anything, but I would love for SOMETHING in the media to have opinions and stories on both sides. Guess we will never get that
That's because none of our media is locally owned, everything has been bought out!

Old 07-12-2022, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,828 times
Yeah. Did y'all see this one? haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xGuKSX1UHE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area