Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 11:10 AM

5 posts, read 4,623 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

I'm from the DC area and I have had a hard time securing a permanent job in the IT field up here, largely due to the fact that I have no clearance.

I was thinking of relocating to Huntsville (or a few other cities) because of the low cost of living and because I heard that there are a plethora of IT jobs up here. Although I do not know anyone in the area nor do I have a job lined up, I have a few thousand dollars saved up and I wanted to know the ins and outs of relocating there and being able to secure housing and employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 11:35 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
They see you trollin'........

Old 07-24-2020, 02:16 PM

12,981 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Are you not able to get a clearance? You'll probably find the job requirements the same here as in Washington. I don't think I'd move until I have a job lined up.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:29 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Are you not able to get a clearance? You'll probably find the job requirements the same here as in Washington. I don't think I'd move until I have a job lined up.
I don't understand the not having a clearance part.

When I got a job that required a clearance it was not until after I started the job that the employer requested a clearance from the government agency for me. Until the clearance was approved I was given other work outside the secure area. When the clearance was finally granted I could then enter the secured area and do the classified work I was hired for. If the clearance request took too long or was not granted the employer would most likely have fired me.

When I left that job my clearance was deactivated. However, if I got another job that required a clearance within two years it could quickly be reactivated. If the clearance had already expired the process would have to start all over.

The problem comes when an employer wants to hire somebody that already has a clearance. The only way that could be true is if the potential employee already had a job with a clearance. Then if the person changed employers the clearance could quickly be transferred.

The trick is to find that first job and get a clearance. If you leave that job just don't let the clearance expire. As long as you do that other employers will be more willing to hire you.

Old 07-25-2020, 10:08 AM

170 posts, read 140,315 times
Can you get clearance as a private citizen to open up clearance jobs to you?

Old 07-25-2020, 02:03 PM

53 posts, read 50,695 times
I would say given that I am in the same field is to get your Security + done and out of the way. If you have not taken the exam, find the time and take it. There are a ton of IT opportunities here but without the Sec + you will get passed over and in near every case the clearance will also depend on you having that cert done. Make sure its the most current version of the cert also. You get this done and the clearance secured and you will have to problem getting a job in Huntsville.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:15 PM

653 posts, read 589,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
No. You have to be sponsored by an employer who has contracts to perform classified work.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:22 PM

653 posts, read 589,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8grd View Post
I would say given that I am in the same field is to get your Security + done and out of the way. If you have not taken the exam, find the time and take it. There are a ton of IT opportunities here but without the Sec + you will get passed over and in near every case the clearance will also depend on you having that cert done. Make sure its the most current version of the cert also. You get this done and the clearance secured and you will have to problem getting a job in Huntsville.
Yep, 100% accurate. Even with a college education, it wouldn't hurt to also get certified for a specific operator system.

Many companies have froze hiring during the COVID teleworking unless the government customer is needing something very specific.

If you're a Linux system admin or a SQL dbase admin then shoot a DM to me. Assuming there isn't anything in your past that would prevent you from being able to granted a clearance, I could use you.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:20 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
No. For example suppose a contractor get a government contract that involves classified information. The work is to be done by employees that might require different levels of security. Levels might include Confidential, Secret or Top Secret. When a new employee is hired for a job that requires a clearance his name is sent to the government agency so he can be investigated. If the investigation is completed with a positive result the employee is given the appropriate clearance.

Like I said if a person either does not the appropriate clearance or his clearance has expired he is confined to only looking for a job from an employer that is willing to hire the employee and wait for the clearance to be approved. If the employer is not willing to wait for that to happen then applying for a job with that company is a waste of time.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:48 PM

170 posts, read 140,315 times
Quote:
No. For example suppose a contractor get a government contract that involves classified information. The work is to be done by employees that might require different levels of security. Levels might include Confidential, Secret or Top Secret.

Well, seems to me if a private individual could get a clearance on their own get Top Secret or all three and then you're good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area