Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 11:12 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times

Advertisements

It looks like Huntsville/ Madison crime report is not on the national crime map database. Can someone provide me a link with the local database?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 06:35 PM

47 posts, read 62,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
It looks like Huntsville/ Madison crime report is not on the national crime map database. Can someone provide me a link with the local database?
I always wondered about this as well. I first got interested in this when there were a lot of shootings in my area. They were never on the news so I checked for crime maps. There were maps on a site called [domain blocked due to spam] when I was in high school around 2014 that was pretty accurate and included Huntsville. It was detailed from shootings, to burglary, robbery, theft, vandalism, etc. I don’t think that feature exists for that site any longer.
As odd as tho may be, I don’t think there are any crime maps for Huntsville that are updated regularly. On SpotCrime, there seem to be randomly selected incidents from news articles that are months apart. Even Madison seems to have crime maps that include incidents that aren’t in the news and get a decent bit of updating. I don’t know why Huntsville has nothing like this, I used to be suspicious that they didn’t want their dirty laundry being exposed because the maps and weekly police blotter seemed to disappear around late 2014-2015, which was the beginning of Huntsville’s most recent growth spurt. I wouldn’t give that much credibility though since it was onc of my random speculations years ago.
It is very strange though, that cities that are smaller, and cities that are bigger with much more crime have these sort of maps that are regularly updated, but no Huntsville.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:52 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,594,346 times
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2021 at 06:10 AM..

Old 12-29-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner97 View Post
I always wondered about this as well. I first got interested in this when there were a lot of shootings in my area. They were never on the news so I checked for crime maps. There were maps on a site called [domain blocked due to spam] when I was in high school around 2014 that was pretty accurate and included Huntsville. It was detailed from shootings, to burglary, robbery, theft, vandalism, etc. I don’t think that feature exists for that site any longer.
As odd as tho may be, I don’t think there are any crime maps for Huntsville that are updated regularly. On SpotCrime, there seem to be randomly selected incidents from news articles that are months apart. Even Madison seems to have crime maps that include incidents that aren’t in the news and get a decent bit of updating. I don’t know why Huntsville has nothing like this, I used to be suspicious that they didn’t want their dirty laundry being exposed because the maps and weekly police blotter seemed to disappear around late 2014-2015, which was the beginning of Huntsville’s most recent growth spurt. I wouldn’t give that much credibility though since it was onc of my random speculations years ago.
It is very strange though, that cities that are smaller, and cities that are bigger with much more crime have these sort of maps that are regularly updated, but no Huntsville.
Conner, Thanks for your input. Although the moderator deleted your link, I was able to see from your text to go to SpotCrime dot com for details. That was what I looking for although not sure how complete the database is. One trick is one needs to be more specific in terms of address and not just "huntsville, AL", but "xxxx road, Huntsville, AL" instead.

Surprisingly, Madison has plenty of "petty crimes" such as theft and burglary but no major violent crimes like "shooting" in certain parts of Huntsville.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 12-29-2020 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-29-2020, 08:18 PM

47 posts, read 62,466 times
Quote:
Conner, Thanks for your input. Although the moderator deleted your link, I was able to see from your text to go to SpotCrime dot com for details. That was what I looking for although not sure how complete the database is. One trick is one needs to be more specific in terms of address and not just "huntsville, AL", but "xxxx road, Huntsville, AL" instead.

Surprisingly, Madison has plenty of "petty crimes" such as theft and burglary but no major violent crimes like "shooting" in certain parts of Huntsville.
Realistically, it wouldn’t make sense for the only crimes in Huntsville to be shootings taking place months apart, with no petty crimes. While Madison is shown to have a whole lot. For that site, Huntsville only seems to have random incidents from the news and Madison has a lot more that might come directly from police since a bunch of small thefts don’t make it on the news, unless it’s a crime stoppers thing.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner97 View Post
Realistically, it wouldn’t make sense for the only crimes in Huntsville to be shootings taking place months apart, with no petty crimes. While Madison is shown to have a whole lot. For that site, Huntsville only seems to have random incidents from the news and Madison has a lot more that might come directly from police since a bunch of small thefts don’t make it on the news, unless it’s a crime stoppers thing.
I agree with you. It is a "small town thinking" refusing to share crime data.

What are you hiding?

This reminds me that, at one time, the local MLS refused to share data with Zillow and even today certain information are withheld from the general public, eventhough Redfin gets its data directly from the Valley MLS these days. Only members of MLS (Realtors) can have access to. At one point, I recalled you'll need to call the listing agent just to find out the listing price. They don't do that anymore. I call that progress. LOL.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:36 PM

12,988 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
I agree with you. It is a "small town thinking" refusing to share crime data.

What are you hiding?

This reminds me that, at one time, the local MLS refused to share data with Zillow and even today certain information are withheld from the general public, eventhough Redfin gets its data directly from the Valley MLS these days. Only members of MLS (Realtors) can have access to. At one point, I recalled you'll need to call the listing agent just to find out the listing price. They don't do that anymore. I call that progress. LOL.
Agree. If they're hiding data, why? I've lived here a long time, and consider it to be very safe. Of course, there are areas I wouldn't venture into during the day, let alone at nighttime, but all places of any size have those areas.

I'd think violent crimes are very low in the Huntsville area, compared to similar sized areas.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Agree. If they're hiding data, why? I've lived here a long time, and consider it to be very safe. Of course, there are areas I wouldn't venture into during the day, let alone at nighttime, but all places of any size have those areas.

I'd think violent crimes are very low in the Huntsville area, compared to similar sized areas.
To give you an example, in the NW Huntsville they stated there were 4 shootings in 2020 (the last one being 12/20/2020) but they don't show petty crimes such as theft or burglary, or arrests. OTOH, in the peaceful town of Madison near the intersection of Madison Blvd and Wall Triana, they show 5 thefts, 9 burglaries, 1 assault, and 4 "others" crimes. I think it's fair to say that Madison is a much safer place than NW Huntsville but you can't tell from the crime statistic.

Now in my uneducated opinion (dealing with the criminal world is not my specialty), shooting does not happen in vacuum. Usually this is associated with other crimes like drug dealings which led to other misc. crimes like theft and burglary or even assaults. Drug dealers need an economic base of support so that would mean there is a high probability of drug users in the area. Drug users need cash to support their habits so that leads to thefts, break-ins, robberies, or prostitutions. Competing drug dealers for a good territory leads to conflicts thus leads to shooting. There should be a "cause & effect" of chain of crimes that lead to shooting but nope, the area is squeeky clean other than "shooting".

So what are they hiding by not releasing the crime statistic?

This reminds me the movie "Jaws" where the city council did not want to publicize there is shark in its beaches for fear it will hurt the local economy.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:08 AM

12,988 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Huntsville has murders - we just don't know how many. And I can't think of a legitimate reason that we do not know. At one time, 20 per year was a good number and I suspect it likely still is.

To compare, Birmingham (the city, not the metro) has had 113 homicides in 2020. Was watching the news last night and they were saying that in NYC, with $1B removed from the police budget, that the city has had something like 440 murders this year. Compare the two, NYC had about 8M people living there, while B'tham's population is around 210K. NYC is roughly 40 times the population of Birmingham yet only 4 the number of fhomicides, a much lower per capita murder rate than B'ham. New York doesn't have anything to complain aobut compared to Birmingham, or even the much smaller city of Jackson, MS (about 99 murders with ohly 160,000 people).

All that said, you have to wonder why Huntsville's violent crime isn't published. It's bound to be much lower than the state's other 3 major cities.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:07 AM

313 posts, read 249,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Huntsville has murders - we just don't know how many. And I can't think of a legitimate reason that we do not know. At one time, 20 per year was a good number and I suspect it likely still is.

To compare, Birmingham (the city, not the metro) has had 113 homicides in 2020. Was watching the news last night and they were saying that in NYC, with $1B removed from the police budget, that the city has had something like 440 murders this year. Compare the two, NYC had about 8M people living there, while B'tham's population is around 210K. NYC is roughly 40 times the population of Birmingham yet only 4 the number of fhomicides, a much lower per capita murder rate than B'ham. New York doesn't have anything to complain aobut compared to Birmingham, or even the much smaller city of Jackson, MS (about 99 murders with ohly 160,000 people).

All that said, you have to wonder why Huntsville's violent crime isn't published. It's bound to be much lower than the state's other 3 major cities.
So technically Mobile is Alabama’s safest major city since Montgomery and Birmingham have higher violent crime rates than mobile and we don’t know “huntsvegas “ violent crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area