Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 06:01 PM

640 posts, read 697,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r x f View Post
So, not really much you can do in this case. NS crossings are regulated by the federal government.

There is plenty you can do - you can complain to NS and you can complain to the federal government, including our elected federal representatives.

There is a siding in the area, but maybe it is not long enough to avoid these long stops.

I think there is a long term plan to widen Slaughter Road from OMP to Madison Blvd - does anybody know if an overpass is included in the plans? The cost is projected at just under $14 million so I would guess not.

edit: "Cut the crossing" is a thing that happens, and railroads do respond to local governments: https://dig.abclocal.go.com/ktrk/PIC...gos_letter.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 06:04 PM

483 posts, read 630,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Or you could petition the AL DOT to dig an underpass below the train. This way the traffic is not impeded by the train.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

That's the funniest thing I've read in a very long time. There's no way ALDOT would spend MILLIONS of dollars to make that happen. Even if they could since that's the railroads property. Maybe try asking them for that or an overpass/underpass. Let us know how that goes. They won't even build the "free" roundabout in Madison that they promised 15 years ago. They aren't called ALDON'T for nothing.

Thanks for the laugh though.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:02 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmom2000 View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

That's the funniest thing I've read in a very long time. There's no way ALDOT would spend MILLIONS of dollars to make that happen. Even if they could since that's the railroads property. Maybe try asking them for that or an overpass/underpass. Let us know how that goes. They won't even build the "free" roundabout in Madison that they promised 15 years ago. They aren't called ALDON'T for nothing.

Thanks for the laugh though.
They did on Countyline Road. maybe it depends on who is asking

Old 01-31-2021, 08:12 AM

294 posts, read 235,464 times
Yeah, but they were digging up and replacing the entire roadway, making it 4-lane, preparing for the highly touted "Chrysler City". But who knows? Might depend on what gets planned or built somewhere. I just really doubt it, nothing much seems to change in that area, as we watched them blow money on bike paths along Sullivan instead of spending the bucks 4-laning it.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:57 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
Yeah, but they were digging up and replacing the entire roadway, making it 4-lane, preparing for the highly touted "Chrysler City". But who knows? Might depend on what gets planned or built somewhere. I just really doubt it, nothing much seems to change in that area, as we watched them blow money on bike paths along Sullivan instead of spending the bucks 4-laning it.
Yep, because the representatives and the city engineer are in way over their heads for a town of this size.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:18 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Yep, because the representatives and the city engineer are in way over their heads for a town of this size.
Given the Zierdt Rd fiasco, I think that might apply to Huntsville as well.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:37 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,578,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I am pretty sure, the train stops in that area so they can switch tracks up ahead to disconnect/connect rail cars at some of their stops. There is nothing that can be done about that short of building an overpass. You think it is bad now, wait until the Toyota/Mazda plant opens and trains are stopping there.
May not be an issue as there is a railway yard with multiple tracks being constructed at the plant. Best bet is to take County line or Hughes if it becomes even more frequent. They could add a digital signs letting drivers the road is blocked and for how long

Old 02-02-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Given the Zierdt Rd fiasco, I think that might apply to Huntsville as well.
Maybe but Zierdt involved the US Army, Huntsville, Madison and aldot. Still doesn’t excuse the 10 plus year construction.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:22 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,592,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
May not be an issue as there is a railway yard with multiple tracks being constructed at the plant. Best bet is to take County line or Hughes if it becomes even more frequent. They could add a digital signs letting drivers the road is blocked and for how long
You mean you want someone on the train to take the time to make an estimate how long it will take to complete what they are doing and unblock a specific intersection? Its not going to happen.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
You mean you want someone on the train to take the time to make an estimate how long it will take to complete what they are doing and unblock a specific intersection? Its not going to happen.
Oh I know just an idea. There could be a warning though to alert drivers to take an alternate route if it’s a frequent thing. Thats one of the reasons the Hughes and County line overpasses were built for emergency vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: