Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 05:43 AM

73 posts, read 254,707 times

Advertisements

My husband is retiring from the military and we are struggling with moving. We have friends in Charleston, Sc and really like the area,however not sure about job growth there. We also really like ALA but have only lived in Daphne where we currently rent out our house b/c of the housing market. Our son plays ice hockey (youth) and we are definitely keeping him in. Can some one tell me about Huntsville, I have never been there so that I can compare. I have looked at homes and found some good school districts but what about private schools (faith based?) also how is the government work there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
If it were me, I'd start with getting a job first, then moving. (You are fortunate to be renting versus owning now.)

When you search for jobs with your husband's skill set, how many hits do you get for each city? How do they compare? Which one gives you more choices? Are any of the jobs with companies which allow a "Plan B" and "Plan C" when the contract he was hired onto fizzles out? For example, some companies have multiple programs so if one program dies, then hopefully a manager can keep you working on another project.

Most medium to large towns (Huntsville included) have sufficient family activities such as youth sports.

Have you compared how each state taxes pensions?

What is your price range?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:28 AM

73 posts, read 254,707 times
We have looked at his retirement income which will not be state taxed b/c he is military retired. Alabama has one of the lowest property taxes at least in Daphne where we own a home but we are coming from NC. He is putting out his resume in SC and Huntsville, both markets government wise will pay the same but SC outside of Charleston has low economic growth.

My job was in Real Estate, b/c of the market I am not working in my field and have had to go outside my field to find work. My husband is the primary financial provider.

I guess I am trying to decide is how the city looks to grow in 5-10 years. Is it expanding now? Are new jobs coming? Will there be more restuarants, shopping etc.?

Also the Redstone Arsenal/and other government agencies are they expanding? Is there a VA medical Center?

Any help is good for us so we can focus on jobs/areas to live. Thanks

Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 PM

10 posts, read 24,845 times
I would highly recommend Charleston over HSV, but that is because I'm from SC and living in this area and know both places well. The only growth that can be pointed to is the relocation from the BRAC...no VA or anything exciting like that. If you do decide to move to this area, Madison is really nice and the real estate values are holding nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area