Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2022, 07:17 AM

707 posts, read 950,663 times

Advertisements

First let me say, I DO NOT have an incredible ability to see trends and recognize patterns that some other people claim to have.

When I moved here, HSV SE was the most desirable location. This was followed by Big Cove and Madison close behind.

Schools played a big part of that and a decade later Madison and Big Cove had risen to the Top.

I initially rented on the Arsenal, but the downside was the Schools that Redstone Family Housing zoned for.

Fast forward and now there are Virtual public school options such as:

Athens Renaissance School

Alabama Connections Academy

These schools residency requirement is that you live within the State of Alabama.

I think it is possible this could be the new educational model across the board in Years to come.

If that is the case it could have a significant effect on what is deemed a desirable location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 07:47 AM

2,462 posts, read 3,238,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
Fast forward and now there are Virtual public school options such as:

Athens Renaissance School

Alabama Connections Academy

These schools residency requirement is that you live within the State of Alabama.

I think it is possible this could be the new educational model across the board in Years to come.

If that is the case it could have a significant effect on what is deemed a desirable location.
I can't speak to Connections Academy, but I do have experience with ARS. I don't see it as the new educational model. At least in the lower grades, it is very hands on for the parents, pretty much equivalent to home schooling. Also, even for those who enroll in the virtual pathway, there are still times where the student needs to be on campus, namely state testing.

Online schooling isn't for everybody. One of my kids does well with it, the other failed miserably. If you go that route, be prepared to learn more about home networks then you ever expected to.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
I can't speak to Connections Academy, but I do have experience with ARS. I don't see it as the new educational model. At least in the lower grades, it is very hands on for the parents, pretty much equivalent to home schooling. Also, even for those who enroll in the virtual pathway, there are still times where the student needs to be on campus, namely state testing.

Online schooling isn't for everybody. One of my kids does well with it, the other failed miserably. If you go that route, be prepared to learn more about home networks then you ever expected to.
I can see that. Change is hard and some students will always require in person.

Huntsville Virtual Academy (HVA) and Madison County Virtual Academy (MCVA) are some other options.

Not to mention the Private Schools.

ARS and ALCA bypass the school zoning limitations and I know some parents on Redstone are taking advantage of both schools.

ALCA is conducting state testing at alternate locations which negates the requirement to go to their physical building in Athens.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:19 PM

766 posts, read 1,118,837 times
From visual observation walking around some of the neighborhoods zoned for Columbia High School, (a school which one of the school ratings sites rates as 269th of 371 public high schools in AL), families have opted primarily for private high schools with in-person instruction and a smaller number have opted for home schooling groups. I have seen yard signs for JP2 Catholic High School, Westminster Christian Academy and Madison Academy. As far as home school groups I have seen Valley Leadership Academy (I think they meet in a church on Monte Sano) and Lions Gate Academy (they meet in a Methodist Church adjacent to the Village of Providence).

From what I can see the fact that homes are zoned for Columbia High has not decreased home prices since most new homes in Providence are selling for about $300 per sq. ft. The prices in Lake Forest and The Reserve also seem to be pretty high (not quite the price per sq. ft. as Providence) and there's a new neighborhood off Zierdt, called Redstone Square where many of the homes are approaching $500K and more.

I would agree with you that in the 1980's and 90's, the perception was that Southeast Huntsville was the best (and for some, the only) location to buy, based on the quality of the public schools. However, a lot has changed - For one thing, Madison City Schools are rated better, but another factor is that the redistricting that occurred in 2015 has significantly changed the student population of several schools in the Southeast. I'm thinking particularly about Blossomwood and Whitesburg Elementary/Junior High.

So, there is overall a greater percentage of families who are willing to pay for private schools and as a result, some families are saying, "Why don't we live closer to Westminster, (or Madison Academy), rather than be in a neighborhood zoned for a highly rated public school?"

Old 09-20-2022, 01:33 PM

458 posts, read 620,101 times
COVID definitely pushed a lot of HCS families into private school and I can definitely see private schools becoming more popular in future years. But I definitely don't see virtual school as the future. I don't have a reference to back this up but I would say most of America was extremely thankful when in person learning resumed. Virtual school might work for a small segment of the population (one parent at home, self motivated kid, etc.) but overall in person learning just works better for the student and the family.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:11 PM

13,140 posts, read 9,707,910 times
I don't think we'll do virtual schools on purpose. The kids need the social interactions (which, of course, some can be bad) to make their way through adulthood.

Old 09-20-2022, 10:24 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,820,728 times
I have seen a couple examples of virtual school working well for a child. However, as FatTails stated, in these cases that child had a stay at home parent that essentially acted as a supplemental teacher (or perhaps Principal). But for every kid that does well with it, I think there are many, many more that do not and it wouldn’t work for most family situations. It would not work well for 3/4 of ours. The 4th has the personality he will probably succeed no matter what, but I still think that child is doing better in a traditional school environment because he needs the social aspect. All that said, I do think it has opened some options for a minority of families to consider alternative parts of town, other than Madison and SE Huntsville.

35801 is still regarded as a very desirable zip code. Madison and Hampton Cove have closed the gap significantly but the average $/sqft in Blossomwood, Medical District, northern half of Jones Valley, Monte Sano… still likely exceeds any other part of the metro. This doesn’t even include the historical districts. Huntsville High is still rated highly despite some of its flaws which I am well aware of and you simply cannot beat the convenience and the feel (IMO) of these neighborhoods.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:50 AM

COVID changed a lot about how people look at Telework and Virtual School.

Sounds like you all think that Virtual School might not become the educational standard, but they do provide an option to Parents that cannot afford Private School.

I was thinking how places like the Trailhead Huntsville might become even more attractive choice knowing that there is a different option for schooling.

There have been times that I have driven up Pulaski Pike and thought the area just before Kelley Cemetery Rd would sure be nice if...

I can also see this being beneficial for some strong willed children and troubled teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area