Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 07:23 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,687 times

Advertisements

At least this is going a lot smoother than Crestwood Hospital's last expansion plans. In 2009 they had a meeting to decide who would build the Madison Hospital. At the meeting Crestwood was chosen. Not long afterwords someone decided they didn't have a quorum at that meeting. They met again and picked Huntsville Hospital to build the Madison Hospital.

Maybe twenty or thirty years ago it was announced that Hwy 53 would be four-laned to Ardmore. The state said it had a very high priority. Then priorities changed and these plans were forgotten. That is typical for Alabama.

Last edited by MisterEd51; 01-18-2023 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 02:14 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
At least this is going a lot smoother than Crestwood Hospital's last expansion plans. In 2009 they had a meeting to decide who would build the Madison Hospital. At the meeting Crestwood was chosen. Not long afterwords someone decided they didn't have a quorum at that meeting. They met again and picked Huntsville Hospital to build the Madison Hospital.

Maybe twenty or thirty years ago it was announced that Hwy 53 would be four-laned to Ardmore. The state said it had a very high priority. Then priorities changed and these plans were forgotten. That is typical for Alabama.
a much younger Dale Strong had these comments in 2007, a who's who of ineptness.

“It has been announced by at least four governors of this state and by the state of Tennessee and, so far, they’ve four-laned about the width of my desk.” Strong said. “It’s a two-lane carrying more traffic than any two-lane in the state. The project goes back to Jim Folsom, Fob James, Don Siegelman and everyone has said it’s a No. 1 priority. Now we are two terms into Bob Riley and here we are.”

Now some widening and improvements have been done since then but why are all North Alabama projects considered "not in your lifetime" completion? Yeah we know why. Can you just imagine the mess if Huntsville didn't have the Restore our Road Program? If we want it we have to pay for a lot of it.

Old 01-19-2023, 02:29 PM

162 posts, read 179,966 times
I really don't think there's enough workers in Alabama to keep up with the roadwork, and they need to start contracting some out of state companies to get some projects done. It takes too long for a majority of projects.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:01 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NorthHSV View Post
I really don't think there's enough workers in Alabama to keep up with the roadwork, and they need to start contracting some out of state companies to get some projects done. It takes too long for a majority of projects.
ALDOT has contracted with out-of-state companies before, one example being the 20/59 rebuild in Birmingham. I believe the contract there was with a company out of Houston.

Could be there's some legal requirement to use in-state contractors and there are more hoops to jump through to hire an out-of-state company.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:17 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NorthHSV View Post
Anyone qualified contractors can bid on state projects. Lowest bid wins most cases.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:04 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Today.
Attached Thumbnails
New Crestwood Medical facility in Harvest.-22-jan-23.jpg  

Old 01-22-2023, 10:28 PM

537 posts, read 443,644 times
I hate to tell you, but Rogers Group is the dominant paving and road contractor in the area. They're originally out of a small community at the base of the mountain north of Monteagle. But their headquarters is now Nashville.

So out of state road builders are doing much of the paving and roadwork in North Alabama already.

I cannot think of any division of any state government that's more political than the road department. And Alabama's worse than Tennessee even.

Huntsville is one of the truly dynamic cities anywhere, and we cannot even get any turn lanes on the state's busiest 2 lane highway (Hwy 53). I cannot tell you how many serious accidents occur out my back door--like Fri. night.

Despite thousands of homes being built in NW Madison County, only 2 miles of Jeff Rd. (close to Dale Strong's home) is being 4 laned. There is a huge area of 2 lane county roads in gridlock during rush hours.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:46 AM

703 posts, read 934,843 times
I wonder if Hwy 53 will become a four-lane to Ardmore before Wall Triana Hwy and Jeff Rd end up a four lane between Hwy 72 and Hwy 53.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:25 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
I wonder if Hwy 53 will become a four-lane to Ardmore before Wall Triana Hwy and Jeff Rd end up a four lane between Hwy 72 and Hwy 53.
It’s already been discussed that the Hwy 53 four lanes would only go to Ready Section Rd. Then the road will travel west, along Ready Section rd, until it gets to I65. Basically a bypass for/of Ardmore.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:55 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
It’s already been discussed that the Hwy 53 four lanes would only go to Ready Section Rd. Then the road will travel west, along Ready Section rd, until it gets to I65. Basically a bypass for/of Ardmore.
I've heard this also. But I heard the bypass would start at or around the Wall Triaina and 53 area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area