Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 06:48 PM

7 posts, read 45,665 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Huntsville this summer from the west coast (Portland, OR) and don't have to deal with tornadoes. How often do you really have to worry about them and are there a ton of homes with basements? We just have a lot of rain here. I am looking forward to warmer weather, but honestly, the thought of having to deal with tornadoes, scares me quite a bit. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 06:54 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabotts View Post
We are moving to Huntsville this summer from the west coast (Portland, OR) and don't have to deal with tornadoes. How often do you really have to worry about them and are there a ton of homes with basements? We just have a lot of rain here. I am looking forward to warmer weather, but honestly, the thought of having to deal with tornadoes, scares me quite a bit. Any thoughts?
Well, I think Alabama is 2nd or 3rd in the states with most powerful tornadoes category. However, North Alabama doesn't get them as much as places South of Montgomery. It's really hit or miss, generally the storm patterns carry the storms (and their tornadoes) away from population centers, unless of course Hurricanes set in. But once again, you mustn't worry about that in Huntsville.

Not sure about basements, I've never seen one in the parts of Alabama I've been too. (Water table is too shallow for full basements for the most part, plus I just see no point in having a basement..except for maybe storage?).

Anyways, don't worry about tornadoes, you're in one of the safest areas of the states as far as tornadoes are concerned.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Here are some neat graphs which may or may not make you feel better (all images not protected by copyright):

Here's a cool interactive tornado map

Interactive Tornado Map : Weather Underground

This one is even better:

Tornado History Project - Tornado Map

Old 05-30-2008, 09:38 PM

482 posts, read 990,655 times
I've lived here all of my life. I've never personally seen a tornado. From the bits and pieces I've heard from the local meteorologists, something about the elevation of the land and the Tennessee River really cut down on local tornadoes. Go South of the Tennessee River, and the frequency picks up. I can only remember one tornado doing any serious damage in Huntsville and that was over 20 years ago.

Most of the only real damage we see is from straight-line winds. Trees and power lines going down, etc.

Basements: Frankie117 is correct about the water table. The only basements you'll see around here are walk-outs. There is the occasional full basement, but they are VERY rare.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-31-2008, 04:57 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,497 times
kabotts:

Welcome to Alabama....

Newcomers from West Coast ask this question frequently. Suggest you research the site for extensive discussions we natives have had on the subject....

Condensed answer:

1) Yes tornados are a factor - ignore everything else people have said about local topography having an effect on tornados. It doesn't. They can hit anywhere. One hit downtown Atlanta last March. They are a factor wherever you choose to live in Alabama.
2) The vast majority of us have never seen one, much less been affected by one.
3) Buy this weather radio and keep it by your bed.

R1650 NOAA All Hazards and Weather Alert Radio with SAME and AM/FM from Reecom

4) When bad weather approaches watch TV - they will tell you all about it.

5) Tornados move in an east/northeasterly direction. Therefore when you watch TV and are able to locate the tornado relative to your house:

A) If it is east of you, it is not a threat.
B) If it is north of you, it is not a threat.
C) If it is far south of you, it is not a threat.
D) If it is west/southwest of you and within 20 miles - seek shelter.

That's about it. When one comes into your area, you will be inundated with electronic data about it. TV, radio, sirens....technology is the answer to being comfortable about this issue.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:12 PM

Thank you all so much for the information. I am sure by now you are all sick of answering those questions, but I appreciate it. It makes that stress seem a lot less. I will most definately educate more on this and make sure I use the technology we have.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabotts View Post
Thank you all so much for the information. I am sure by now you are all sick of answering those questions, but I appreciate it. It makes that stress seem a lot less. I will most definately educate more on this and make sure I use the technology we have.
The first few times severe weather threatens....settle down into an easy chair at home and watch TV for 45 minutes or so....it is easy to learn the paths/directions they take. Watch the weather radar and know how to locate your neighborhood on the radar...after that, you will become much more relaxed.

The TV stations cover huge geographic areas...in Huntsville's case, it is the northern third of Alabama and the southern 20% of Tennessee. If a tornado threatens ANYWHERE in that large area, the stations immediately start coverage....so you will see dozens and dozens of broadcasts that have absolutely nothing to do with your Neighborhood....but they must do it as a life saving function for viewers in their broadcast area...

Old 06-01-2008, 11:22 AM

That is so good to know. Living here in Portland, we don't have too much weather threat other than the snow and ice in the winter time. That only last a few days at the most too. I will most definately heed your advice and again I thank you!

Old 06-01-2008, 01:28 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,418,958 times
And although a tornado COULD strike anytime there's a storm front, they generally tend to be spring and fall.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:32 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,331 times
I have to echo the posts stating that even longtime AL residents don't tend to have tornado encounters. I lived in AL for 37 of my 40 years so far, and only once (during the 1974 multistate mega-outbreak) did we ever encounter a tornado. You will find that the local media gets excited to an almost "Will-you-still-respect-me-in-the-morning" level by every T'storm that comes along (storms, especially tornadoes, make for rapt viewing audiences), but very seldom do these incidents ever culminate in an actual tornado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area