Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 05:18 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times

Advertisements

Have any local Mediacom subscribers been having issues lately?

Unfortunately because of where we are located Google Fiber stops about a mile from our neighborhood. We can't get ANY ISPs aside from Mediacom.

We went through a lot of problems with them for a few years. 4-5 modem replacements, new outdoor cable buried twice, new lines to the modem, new splitters, etc...

During COVID, they claimed to up our internet speeds "for free" to 1Gbps in an email that said "since most people are now working from home". I could never get close to those speeds so on the last tech visit he told me to ditch their rental modems and buy my own and he wrote down the modem for us to buy. So we did....

Speeds got better and we started seeing about 500-600 mbps wired (200 Mbps wifi), but never close to 1Gbps.

Fast forward to today. Since mid-June we've been having daily outages ranging from 2 hrs to 12 hrs. The first incident was a failed power supply that took out most of Alabama and North Georgia. The next day... outage again but this time (and every time since) Mediacom says it's normal routine maintenance.

Anyone else having these issues? I know our area does (East of chapman, west of Gurley).

Another fun fact... Mediacom also says that I need to upgrade my modem again to a Docsis 3.1 vs the Docsis 3.0 that they recently told me to buy. So looks like we will be doing that today
Every 6 mos to a year something happens and Mediacom claims it's equipment failure and has us purchase new equipment. I've upgraded my router 4 times in 3 years and it hasn't improved speeds at all. I've argued that if we're not seeing the speed at the modem the router isn't going to improve that... they disagree every single time. And every time a tech comes out, they can magically get the full speed using my laptop until they leave. Then within an hour it goes right back where it was.

I'm not convinced that it will help much (though I do understand that 3.1 should be faster). It's certainly not going to stop outages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 06:17 AM

110 posts, read 95,831 times
I have Mediacom cable and internet (I'm technology challenged). I went through a lot of issues before the pandemic with them, until they finally replaced the line from the pole to the house (buried). I have my own modem (why pay them every month for something relatively cheap). My suggestion is EVERY time you have an issue, call. They came out probably 6 times before they put the new buried line in. Knock on wood that it's been solid since then.

Family cable and slowest internet is over $200 a month. Bill creeping up at least every 6 months another $5 to $15.

Old 07-14-2023, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_native View Post
I have Mediacom cable and internet (I'm technology challenged). I went through a lot of issues before the pandemic with them, until they finally replaced the line from the pole to the house (buried). I have my own modem (why pay them every month for something relatively cheap). My suggestion is EVERY time you have an issue, call. They came out probably 6 times before they put the new buried line in. Knock on wood that it's been solid since then.

Family cable and slowest internet is over $200 a month. Bill creeping up at least every 6 months another $5 to $15.
Yep that's what I do. They buried the line originally in 2016. Then during the pandemic we were getting really slow speeds. They claimed that they buried the wrong line so they came back out in 2021 and buried a new line.

They've confirmed every time since that there is nothing wrong with anything on their side. They're claiming that it's my hardware since I no longer use theirs but my hardware is also new and my speed is better on my gear than theirs. I'm running an Arris surfboard SB6180 (which IS a Docsis 3.0 modem) coupled to a Nighthawk AX5400 Wifi 6 router. That might not get me gigabit speeds, but it should reach a lot higher than 500 mbps if all of their stuff is up to par. I should be seeing 500 mbps on wifi.

I'm picking up the surfboard SB8200 later today. That's good for up to 10 gbps so I want to see if we get anywhere near 950 mbps or so wired.

That is... assuming that we don't lose internet again today for more "maintenance".

Old 07-14-2023, 09:17 AM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
I have them for internet, got rid of their modem and went with a combined router/modem a Nighthawk X4S 7800 and I like it. They had to come and replace the line from the pole and I had to have the line from the outside to the modem.

But have not had any outages lately and no real problems.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:12 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Definitely good idea to get your own modem with mediacom. Same modem since 2019 so something could be going sideways on the OP’s setup. All new lines installed in 2019 and had minor speed tweaking in the beginning but nothing since. Speedtest.net is one system to check and start taking screenshots for proof.

Couple pro tips: Get a small APC backup power unit for modem. No sense in losing internet just because you lose power. Small APCs will work for hours with just a modem. Second, get a solid wifi extender. We got a fully integrated mesh network with multiple extenders (antennas) and can push hundreds of feet from the house. Third, make sure you set up all the network security settings so your network(s) are invisible, have strong passwords and run encrypted. Fourth is to run a VPN but now it’s sounding like a commercial…. Last pro tip is to get the local phone number. This can be used when you actually want resolution on your issues. It isn’t easy and is not posted anywhere but can certainly help in reaching the right local service technicians and service managers. Their office is on “your side” (East) of the mountain, north of Gurley and just north of 72.

Old 07-17-2023, 04:01 PM

Maybe I should explain better.....

I send them speedtest snapshots every few days. Their argument is to send another tech out even though they've already replaced the line from the street, replaced the lines from the house to the modem, and replaced the splitter and confirmed that there are no filters in line. When the tech shows up, he call in to the office and have them refresh our signal and I can get close to advertised speeds for about 20 minutes. Just enough time for him to leave and then the speeds drop back to where they were previously. This has happened at least 6 times in the past year and a half.

I HAD an ARRIS Surfboard 6190 (Docsis 3.0) modem, coupled to a Linksys Velop mesh system. I stopped using their modems in 2019. The 6190 was their recommendation.

We were seeing about 200 mbps down at the parent node, and about 350 mbps via ethernet to the modem. This is the modem that they told me to buy. I bought it late last year or very early into January. When this didn't solve the issues and they couldn't figure anything out they told me my router setup was the cause. I spent weeks back and forth with Linksys confirming that everything in my router setup was correct. but upon running a speedtest through the Linksys app I was not getting the full speed from the modem to the router. So back to Mediacom.

The velop parent node wasn't a gigabit router, so I replaced the parent node with a Netgear Nighthawk MR7500 (wifi 6 gigabit router). It is mesh capable and compatible with the velop child nodes. I set it up and still got a comparable speed at the router. Speed tests still indicated that I was not receiving gigabit service from Mediacom.

Eventually with all of the internet outages I started pinging Mediacom again believing that there had to be something going on with their network. They confirmed that they were having some problems but that the speed issue was because we didn't have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.. even though THEY told me what to buy. So... we went out and bought an Arris SB8200 Docsis 3.1 modem again at their recommendation.

I confirmed via the modem lights (green is docsis 3.0 and blue is docsis 3.1) that we are indeed on docsis 3.1. Tested wired speeds are about 300 mbps. On wifi, still seeing about 200-220 mbps at the parent node. Child nodes drop another 30-40 mbps.

I'm well versed in the location of their office and have frequented it often. It just never brings any resolution. Typically their customer resolution team down in Florida (best reached via Facebook messenger) gets quick and fast results.

My main question in this thread is to find out if others are having problems with Mediacom. We have 2 issues... the speed and the reliability of the network. They are quick to blame the problems on someone else, but Linksys has gone above and beyond to troubleshoot issues.

Old 07-18-2023, 06:32 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Are your speed tests with those speeds over wire or WiFI? It appears the issue is with the modem output but did they rule out your router and issues with extended router distance?

It would probably more informative to ask your neighbors vs here because someone in Hobbs Island or New Market could have zero problems and how does that help your situation? Having neighbors on the same line(s) creates much more leverage than sporadic users county-wide.

Another idea might be to “splurge” on their highest data plan and see if the speeds increase to see if it’s the actual speeds being throttled or if there are genuine problems at the end of the line, hooking up from your distribution box.

Old 07-18-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Are your speed tests with those speeds over wire or WiFI? It appears the issue is with the modem output but did they rule out your router and issues with extended router distance?

It would probably more informative to ask your neighbors vs here because someone in Hobbs Island or New Market could have zero problems and how does that help your situation? Having neighbors on the same line(s) creates much more leverage than sporadic users county-wide.

Another idea might be to “splurge” on their highest data plan and see if the speeds increase to see if it’s the actual speeds being throttled or if there are genuine problems at the end of the line, hooking up from your distribution box.
Yes... I've tested both over wired and wifi.

All of my neighbors are having problems. Mediacom admitted that the first half day outage was due to a failed power supply somewhere. After that, they claim it's just routine maintenance (but losing internet was not routine like this until late June). The reason I posted here was to see if others in the Huntsville area were also experiencing Mediacom issues or if it was isolated to this area out my way.

We have the highest data plan that they offer.....

Old 07-18-2023, 07:37 PM

50 posts, read 50,926 times
I have no problems with Mediacom and never really have. I have speeds at the low end (was 100, they've bumped it up to 300) and I've always had download speeds in excess of what I'm subscribed to. I recently upgraded my modem from DOCSIS 3.0 to 3.1 because my speed was capped around 280. With my new modem I regularly push 400 on a speed test, with my subscription speed being 300.

Old 07-23-2023, 12:49 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,595,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Have any local Mediacom subscribers been having issues lately?

Unfortunately because of where we are located Google Fiber stops about a mile from our neighborhood. We can't get ANY ISPs aside from Mediacom.

We went through a lot of problems with them for a few years. 4-5 modem replacements, new outdoor cable buried twice, new lines to the modem, new splitters, etc...

During COVID, they claimed to up our internet speeds "for free" to 1Gbps in an email that said "since most people are now working from home". I could never get close to those speeds so on the last tech visit he told me to ditch their rental modems and buy my own and he wrote down the modem for us to buy. So we did....

Speeds got better and we started seeing about 500-600 mbps wired (200 Mbps wifi), but never close to 1Gbps.

Fast forward to today. Since mid-June we've been having daily outages ranging from 2 hrs to 12 hrs. The first incident was a failed power supply that took out most of Alabama and North Georgia. The next day... outage again but this time (and every time since) Mediacom says it's normal routine maintenance.

Anyone else having these issues? I know our area does (East of chapman, west of Gurley).

Another fun fact... Mediacom also says that I need to upgrade my modem again to a Docsis 3.1 vs the Docsis 3.0 that they recently told me to buy. So looks like we will be doing that today
Every 6 mos to a year something happens and Mediacom claims it's equipment failure and has us purchase new equipment. I've upgraded my router 4 times in 3 years and it hasn't improved speeds at all. I've argued that if we're not seeing the speed at the modem the router isn't going to improve that... they disagree every single time. And every time a tech comes out, they can magically get the full speed using my laptop until they leave. Then within an hour it goes right back where it was.

I'm not convinced that it will help much (though I do understand that 3.1 should be faster). It's certainly not going to stop outages.
I am trying to follow your post and judge your Internet results. It would help if I knew the following:

What are your Internet plans download/upload speeds?
Are you using the 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or 6GHz WiFi bands on your router?
Does your wireless devices support 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11ac, or 802.11ax?

Sure it makes a difference whether modem is DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1. However, unless your devices have cooresponding fast WiFi they won't be able to take advantage of modem's speed.

For example, I have the following Comcast Internet plan: Gigabit Extra (with xFi Complete): 1200/200 Mbps

Recent wired results:
Desktop (1Gbps port): 944/227 Mbps
Note most of my desktops have about the same speeds because they are limited by the 1Gbps Ethernet port. However, I have an old desktop that is slower because it only has an 100Mbps Ethernet port

Recent wireless results:
Samsung phone (5GHz) 802.11ax: 788/249 Mbps
ASUS laptop (5GHz) 802.11ax: 549/238 Mbps
Acer laptop (5GHz) 802.11ac: 360/99 Mbps
Toshiba laptop (2.4GHz) 802.11g: 20/22 Mbps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area