Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:52 PM

10 posts, read 19,344 times

Advertisements

I may be stationed in Hunstiville. I am looking for advice about the surrounding area and where a good place to purchase a house is.

My Wife will also be looking for a job once we get there, she is a Teacher.

I am looking for the best areas to live, with a low crime rate and good to great schools.

Someone in the area could you please advise me where the best area to purchase a home would be. Appreciate your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 04:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTBobby View Post
I may be stationed in Hunstiville. I am looking for advice about the surrounding area and where a good place to purchase a house is.

My Wife will also be looking for a job once we get there, she is a Teacher.

I am looking for the best areas to live, with a low crime rate and good to great schools.

Someone in the area could you please advise me where the best area to purchase a home would be. Appreciate your time.
Stationed on Redstone Arsenal?
Price Range for a house?
Kids? Ages?

Check out Greatschools.net

Search the threads, your interests have been addressed quite a bit.

Here's a good start:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...untsville.html

Old 04-29-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Stationed on Redstone Arsenal?
Price Range for a house?
Kids? Ages?

Check out Greatschools.net

Search the threads, your interests have been addressed quite a bit.

Here's a good start:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...untsville.html
Appreciate the help.

My Kids are 14 and 2 years.

Range of the house would be between 150,000-350,000

I would guess Redstone arsenal. I am moving into Army Aquistions and the latest assignment options I have really do not list any military bases, instead just city names.

I will be down there for my tranisition couse so I will also be able to look around then if I am assigned in this area.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:55 PM

Here's one of the best real estate tools:

ValleyMLS.com

You can go to the advance search on valleymls and find houses that are assigned to a specific school.

Since Huntsville is so small, commuting is pretty easy from just about anywhere. Use the other links to find good schools and then find houses near those schools. You can even look for houses that are in A elementary, B middle and C High School.

There are basically three school districts: Huntsville City, Madison City, and Madison County, good to know this when looking on Greatschools. Also check out the Alabama Dept of Education website.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:38 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,215 times
Army Acquisition definitely means Redstone Arsenal.

The best areas for schools in the near vicinity are SE Huntsville, Hampton Cove, and Madison. All have houses in your price range. All have low crimes rates.

Getting onto the Arsenal is easiest from SE Huntsville. Hampton Cove is not quite as good because you have to drive 6-7 miles further, but not in heavy traffic. Madison has the worst traffic and has to go through a gate that can be overloaded at times (Gate 9).

I'm guessing your oldest is high school age. According to the recent US News and World Report ratings, Grissom High School is the best in these areas (Silver Medal). Only 4 schools in the whole state were rated Silver Medal or higher, so that gives you an idea of the elite status accorded Grissom High.

The other high schools that did well enough to get rated Bronze Medal in the area are further from town - Athens High, Decatur High, and Guntersville High. New Century Technology Demo High School also scored a Bronze Medal - it is a magnet school, so you would be able to attend this school from any area in the city of Huntsville.

Bob Jones High in Madison is usually highly regarded, and won the Silver Medal from US News in 2008. I don't know what caused it to drop from this high category to not even rating an Honorable Mention in 2009.

Huntsville High is also highly regarded by some, but it has not been included in the top schools ratings by US News for the past 2 years.

I put more stock in the US News ratings than some of the others, because they are based on much more thorough and detailed analysis, whereas most school ratings are just based on raw test scores or anonymous internet review ratings.

Here is their methodology:

Quote:
The 2009 U.S.News & World Report America's Best High Schools methodology, developed by School Evaluation Services, a K-12 education data research business run by Standard & Poor's, is based on the key principles that a great high school must serve all its students well, not just those who are bound for college and that it must be able to produce measurable academic outcomes to show that the school is successfully educating its student body across a range of performance indicators.
People Who Read This Also Read
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/editors-...gh-school.html

Last edited by Keeper; 05-02-2009 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: copyright article. post a snippet and then a link to rest of the article

Old 04-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Appreciate all the Help

Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 PM

433 posts, read 1,769,626 times
Madison City has great schools. It is a really nice area. They are opening a brand new school in August called Mill Creek Elementary. She may be able to get a job there or fill a job at one of the other schools that may have teachers going to the new school.

We moved here last July and love it!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
I would suggest not only applying for a permanent teaching position, but also going through the motion to be a substitute. this is often how one gets their foot in the door here. I teach in Huntsville City and with all the cut backs and merging of schools, new hires will be in the low numbers. I worked as a permanent sub for a year before getting a teaching position.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 PM

205 posts, read 589,992 times
I have heard the same thing that hey teach said. If your wife needs certification, Athens State University offers the right stuff, or so they tell me. And for your range of house prices, you could just about take your pick of homes. There is one nice one for sale on Beaty Street that is Spanish Revival and very beautiful at the top end. However, I hear that the utility bills are another mortgage payment. I looked at another house not far away in the best school system in Athens (Julian Newmann) for $150,000 and although it needed updating, it was in move-in condition with about 2600 SF. If you want to deal with a bit of cosmetic and updating.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I teach in Huntsville City and with all the cut backs and merging of schools, new hires will be in the low numbers.
Wouldn't we expect this to drastically change in the next year or two with the 10,000 BRAC people and their kids coming here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area