Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,911 times

Advertisements

I'm from California, originally, now living in Minnesota, and my wife and I are moving to Huntsville. I've read all kinds of things about Brown Recluses in your shoes, in your clothes, in the sheets of your bed. I'm starting to feel like you can never be safe.

In California, the most dangerous spider we have are black widows and they stay under the house or in the garage. These recluses seem like they're crawling all over the place (by the way they are written about).

Should I be worrying about this? How common are they in the home? What kinds of things to people who live in Huntsville do to prevent being bitten (if anything)? Do you keep your clothes in plastic bins?

My wife are going to have to sleep on an air mattress that lays straight on the floor when we get there. Should we fear one climbing in and being bitten?

Sincerely,
Freaked out in Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 05:38 PM

369 posts, read 1,145,914 times
I have spent 19 years of my life in Huntsville without ever seeing one.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
Hee.

I'm from California as well, and also freaked myself out about brown recluses (reclusi?).

As far as I can tell, some homes get infested. If you don't have an infestation, you probably won't see them. I saw them while house hunting in one house that clearly had an infestation. The house was 50+ years old and had a wooded back yard, tons of dry firewood stacked up in huge stacks on the side of the house, etc. Basically this house was a nice inviting brown recluse habitat.

Aside from that, I have never seen one. I saw way more black widows in California than I see brown recluses here. (Although there are also black widows here.) My advice, if you are afraid of these spiders, get a newer or well-maintained house that is NOT on a wooded lot, and get a pest control service. I did these things and have had zero problems with the spiders or any bugs. (except those annoying houseflies in the summer.)

I get your freakout. I still shake out shoes and clothes just to be safe. Those spiders are common to this region, but I've rarely met someone that has encountered them as a problem and only heard of one case (friend of a friend type thing) where someone was bitten. Also even if you do get bitten, not everyone reacts like those horrific spider bite pictures on the internet. Those are more extreme cases. Some people have very little reaction.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Cadman View Post
I'm from California,

Should I be worrying about this?
I'm from California too. I don't sense spider problems (seeing, hearing or reading about).

What did (does) shake me up are fire ants. They are everywhere. I'm really careful when I walk around (soccer fields, picnics, parkland, etc) but what really worries me are my four little kids under 10.

I also have a pest control service, for now at least. I may decide to do it myself but until I get a good understanding of the different insects, I'll continue to let the pros work it. Also, the pest control service is not that expensive.

Here's a little more (warning: gross photos)

http://elfninosmom.wordpress.com/200...ecluse-spider/

Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 PM

286 posts, read 1,085,719 times
I have never seen one ever, but this year, I know two people who got bit, and it is not a pretty sight whatsoever. One got bit while out in a garden and actually saw the spider, and the other person was hiking. Thankfully, they went to the hospital, but for a couple of days they waited and their skin looked rotted. One day it was just a red and painful like a wasp sting, and the next day rotting skin.

Anyway, I carry around a bottle of Jack D whenever I go camping.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:03 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
I know a guy who lost most of one of his calf muscles after a brown recluse bite, but he lives way out in the country and was bitten while outdoors.

I've only seen a few in my lifetime. I see more black widows. There are plenty of other spiders that bite and cause irritation. If I'm out camping or whatever I'll check my shoes.

A Fire Ant is aptly named - and the little such and so bites and won't turn loose, it just keeps biting. I was actually surprised at how much it hurt getting bitten by one ant. I can't imagine getting bitten by several fire ants.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 17,544 times
You guys are starting to freak me out... I've lived here for five years now and I've never seen one. I guess I should start looking... I've seen plenty of black widows though.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 35,306 times
I've lived here 24 years, have never seen one. Fire Ants yes, but not many in subdivisions. We have 4 acres, 2 are wooded..have never seen a brown recluse or black widow, nor a snake, just a deer or two during the year :-)

Old 11-11-2008, 01:33 PM

39 posts, read 125,363 times
Not sure what is up with the brown recluses. I have killed about 6-8 in my house in the last week, and just had Terminix do the outside of the house. Maybe it is the cold weather bringing them in. If anyone has any ideas on how to get rid of the things or areas where they might be coming in, the information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:26 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Are you sure you had brown recluse spiders? There are other spiders that resemble them. They are usually found in dark, dry and undisturbed areas of a house.
Brown recluse spider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area