Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I have been getting my veggies at Publix and Costco. I am not disappointed. I was hoping someone may know of a place where I can get veggies at a good price.

Here is what I like to eat on a weekly basis:

avocado (they usually go for $1.50 each...hopefully someone knows where I can get them cheaper)

bananas

apples

cucumbers

lettuce

tomatoes

zucchini

squash

Of course, i eat others too, but those are the staples.

Anyone know where I can get good veggies cheap? Or do i just need to stick with where I buy? I was wanting to eat more veggies, but they are expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:06 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Aside from organics, farmers mkts and farms, I don't think you'll find better produce for the money. Personally, if I don't get mine at the farmer's market, I use Publix and Earthfare mainly for my veggies. Neither is necessarily cheap, but they usually have a better selection and it's not like in some other stores where it looks like it's been sitting around for a month after roaming the globe.
Unfortunately, avocados are never cheap around here.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
some other stores where it looks like it's been sitting around for a month after roaming the globe.
I agree with you there! That is why I don't shop at certain stores. The veggies look all dried up and gross.

Quote:
That is my finding as well. They are really good! I can eat them plain. I like to put them in salads, on sandwiches, and of course make some guacamole.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
You could grow your own.
I've seen all but bananas grown in this area. And some people manage to get a few little bananas from their backyard decorative banana trees.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
You could grow your own.
I've seen all but bananas grown in this area. And some people manage to get a few little bananas from their backyard decorative banana trees.
I have actually been thinking of doing that same thing. They would grow during the summer and then I could freeze them.

Or I also thought of researching a hydroponic garden or something along those lines so I could grow veggies indoors year round. It would be neat to go pick some lettuce or whatever out of my garden daily.

Do you have any experience with this?

I have never planted a garden before. Do you recommend that I do a small plot outside or a raised bed? I have two dogs that use the backyard. Do you think I need to fence the garden away from them, or will they not mess with it? Thats why I asked about the raised bed. Is it too late in the season to plant a few things.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 AM

394 posts, read 628,387 times
Quote:
Kroger had them $10 for 10 last week. Not a great deal but beter than most. They were perfectly ripe.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:53 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Isom's is a great produce market, located on 72 between Athens and Madison. Also, the farmer's market at Discovery Middle every Saturday from 8-12.

You could grow a lot of what you are looking for. My MIL has had tremendous success this year growing tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, beans, okra, corn, and lots of herbs and peppers in her square foot garden. I could not believe how HUGE her plants have gotten, it is amazing how quick and big they grow! She has so much bounty, she is giving veggies away to everyone she knows. All organically grown...she uses compost in her soil and found an organic pesticide recipe online that she can make at home from common pantry ingredients.

I also really like Kroger's produce as well...for organics they have a good selection and are more reasonable than some of the other local super markets.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:18 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
Lots of nice produce on Thursday afternoons at the Green Street Farmers Market and on Saturday mornings at the Madison Farmers Market on Hughes Road. Most of the product is locally grown.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 PM

483 posts, read 630,575 times
No one has mentioned Aldi's so I will throw that in there. I've seen avocados for .69 each as well as packaged mushrooms for the same price. The price advantage is huge at Aldi's the selection, maybe not so much. They have a pretty good selection of standard items but maybe not those out of the mainstream. I've bought potatoes, tomatoes (both grape and Roma) and bananas there all the time. I've even bought kiwi for .99/2# bag and strawberries for .99/1#.

I've never had an issue with spoilage but like you we eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. If you haven't been to Aldi's yet have a quarter to get the grocery cart and bring your own bags.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
In today's classified, Aldi has avacados for $0.49/ea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area