Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 PM

66 posts, read 180,562 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a pediatric practice in the greater Huntsville area that does not require children to take the Varicella vaccine. We have ethical objections over this one vaccine (chicken pox) and are looking for a local practice (ideally in Madison) that does not require this vaccine in order to become a patient of the practice. We're not looking to debate our ethical objections - just to find a practice not requiring this vaccine.

We homeschool and are exempt from the AL state regulations for public school children concerning vaccines.

This forum was the first place that I thought of to pick up some leads...

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 PM

105 posts, read 289,711 times
A vaccination for chicken pox?! Is that new? I would have ethical and all kind of objections with that as well...

Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,592 times
I never knew that drs required it, only the state. I haven't found a pediatrician that will take new patients at all here. I know it wasn't an issue for any doctor in TX. But, I do know that the CDC is goofy here. My youngest had a reaction to a vaccine and after that was given "live" vaccines, the CDC here didn't know if they could accept them. So maybe all the shot rules are different.

And yes the varicella is new(10 years or so), and probably the stupidest vaccine required. Both of my children had them WITH the shot,my daughter from the shot and my son the second week of school. The worst part is that they can get them again.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:06 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,891 times
As far as I know, even doctors that pressure patients to vaccinate are pretty lenient with chicken pox and flu vaccines. I can't be 100% sure, but I believe the doctors at Fields' Pediatrics gave us an option with chicken pox vaccines, as well as with flu vaccines. They also offered us the option of non-combination vaccines for things like separate MMR vaccines if we chose (and they offered that option unsolicited. I didn't ask.)

Quote:
And yes the varicella is new(10 years or so), and probably the stupidest vaccine required.
I for one am very grateful for it, as by sheer bad luck NEITHER my husband or I contracted the chicken pox as children and had no immunity prior to this vaccine.. Due to the SERIOUS danger chicken pox poses to adults (in spite of adults accounting for only 5% of chicken pox cases, they account for more than half of chicken pox deaths) but especially during pregnancies, I was thrilled to be able to vaccinate myself and my family to reduce the risk of being exposed and infected as an adult or a pregnant woman. The fact that so many others in the community chose to vaccinated provided community protection for me and my unborn babies during pregnancies as well. (Precisely because no vaccine is not 100% effective, when others around us were vaccinated it protected us too.)

I completely respect everyone's right to refuse vaccination, but calling it "the stupidest vaccine required" is disrespectful to those of us who have been at risk of complications from this disease. Many of us who are vulnerable benefit from those who make the choice to reduce exposure of a illness that while benign for most, can carry lethal complications for others. And, "required" is only accurate so far as any vaccine is perceived as "required" by those who don't care enough about the issue to make a point of objecting. (Although, of course a doctor can accept or refuse the business of a patient under whatever medical preconditions he chooses, so I do understand why the OP's question is valid.)

Last edited by zenjenn; 09-22-2009 at 05:20 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 08:14 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,592 times
The varicella is REQUIRED for school here in AL. As for not caring enough to do anything about it, I had an ethical objection letter in the state of TX(even though my kids have all of their vaccines, it was my "just in case" when guardasil was required by Perry for a few months). Here in AL I can't get one outside of for religious or medical reasons. I completely understand how great it would be for an adult who had never had chicken pox, however I don't believe it should be a requirement for school(especially when you cannot only get them anyway, but get them more than once), all I was saying, sorry if I offended you or your choices.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:42 AM

144 posts, read 277,854 times
I hope that you find one. I don't think that vaccine is necessary either. My son contracted chicken pox at 6 weeks here in Huntsville, and he was hospitalized because of a slight fever but had no other side effects (other than how horrible it looked). We were told that he would still have to be vaccinated at 12 months because the antibodies would be goe from his system by then (or some such medical reason). I couldn't believe it. I am a stay-at-home mom and as he had never been around any other children, we were told he probably got it from an adult who visited us who had shingles. Yuch!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks zennJenn - I will check out Fields Pediatrics.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:52 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,693 times
Just to ask, what if a parent here had an ethical objection to putting their kid in school in the same class with kids who didn't get the vaccines?

Old 09-22-2009, 05:55 PM

426 posts, read 1,272,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Just to ask, what if a parent here had an ethical objection to putting their kid in school in the same class with kids who didn't get the vaccines?
Would that really happen? Earlier posters said that this vaccine and others are required for school in AL. I'm not sure how a person would find out that the child didn't have the vaccine for religious or medical reasons.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:02 PM

We home school. I checked with the principal - she was ok with the arrangement and no chicken pox vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area