Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 PM

94 posts, read 234,744 times

Advertisements

the Oak Park, Belle Meade Heights, or Hinge Gate subdivisions located in northeast Huntsville?

We've found a couple of houses in this area that we really like, and the location seems convenient to both Huntsville and Madison since it's right by 565.

We have a 3 1/2 year old and 2 year old so the elementary school (Chapman) is a consideration. Good school? So-so? Not so good? Also, what's nearby in the way of shopping and the day-to-day necessities?

Thanks in advance for any input, positive or negative!

Melanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 12:58 PM

122 posts, read 354,478 times
Chapman is rated 3/10 by Greatschools.net. Lee High School is a 6/10. I don't know much about the area, but I do know that Northeast Huntsville is normally considered an area to stay away from. However, that is a generalization and I know there are some people / families that really like living in NE Huntsville. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:35 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times
MelanieP - IIRC the Belle Meade area is zoned for MLK Elementary School. Chapman 3rd grade reading = 44, 3rd grade math = 48. MLK = 28 / 29. Both feed into Chapman Middle School, which is IIRC ranked around Davis Hills for school violence (tied for worst). The school situation is bad and appears to be getting worse.

Most people (seriously, much more than 50%) who live in those neighborhoods send their kids to private schools or magnets or home school. It didn't use to be like that, but it is now.

Note that the neighborhoods are still safe, people take care of their yards and houses, and know their neighbors.

The schools are hurting NE badly, especially Chapman Middle. I know families who've moved out so their kids wouldn't go (continue to go) to Chapman.

The area is very convenient to I565, downtown, Monte Sano, etc. Harris Hill (Target) will be a huge benefit. Star Market in Five Points is a treasure.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 PM

53 posts, read 141,744 times
I have young children also, I would completely avoid those schools...sorry.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 PM

94 posts, read 234,744 times
Gotcha... thank you!

Old 05-30-2008, 03:01 PM

27 posts, read 68,576 times
Default Northeast Huntsville Schools

I've been told that Riverton Elemetary, Mt Carmel and Buckhorn are all good schools. Why all the talk about avoiding Northeast Huntsville.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:42 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times
ashleigh2006 - I live in Northeast Huntsville, love the convenience and neighbors and view of Monte Sano, but wouldn't send a child to the city schools (Chapman / Lee).

The schools you mention are County Schools; and I agree that those schools are good.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:47 AM

53 posts, read 141,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleigh2006 View Post
I've been told that Riverton Elemetary, Mt Carmel and Buckhorn are all good schools. Why all the talk about avoiding Northeast Huntsville.
These are NE Madison County schools, not Hsv, and yes they are good.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 AM

602 posts, read 1,963,402 times
We used to live in that area/school zone, and being in the Chapman school zone actually hurt us when it came time to sell our house. YMMV, but that was our experience.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
We used to live in that area/school zone, and being in the Chapman school zone actually hurt us when it came time to sell our house. YMMV, but that was our experience.
Chapman is a HSV City school, great schools of 3, math 67%, reading 80%, free lunch 51%.

Math average for the public elementary schools below (includes HSV City, Mad City and Mad CO) is 75%, avg reading 84%, free lunch 43%.

The data are from these schools:

Hampton Cove Elementary School
Jones Valley Elementary School
Blossomwood Elementary School
Mountain Gap Elementary School
Monte Sano Elementary School
Weatherly Heights Elementary School
New Market School
Walnut Grove School
Challenger Elementary School
Columbia Elementary School
Monrovia Elementary School
West Madison Elementary School
Heritage Elementary School
Academy for Academics & Arts
Central School
Lynn Fanning Elementary School
Riverton Elementary School
Endeavor Elementary School
Rainbow Elementary School
Mount Carmel Elementary School
Horizon Elementary School
Lincoln Elementary School
Hazel Green Elementary School
Owens Cross Roads School
Madison Elementary School
Academy for Science & Foreign Language
New Hope Elementary School
Madison County Elementary School
Roger B Chaffee Elementary School
Madison Cross Roads Elementary School
Harvest School
James E Williams School
Farley Elementary School
Louis J Morris Elementary School
Chapman Elementary School
Whitesburg Elementary School
Ridgecrest Elementary School
University Place Elementary School
Rolling Hills Elementary School
The Seldon Center
East Clinton Elementary School
West Huntsville Elementary School
Martin Luther King Jr Elementary School
Highlands Elementary School
McDonnell Elementary School
Terry Heights Elementary School
Lakewood Elementary School
Montview Elementary School
West Mastin Lake Elementary School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area