Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:49 PM

144 posts, read 433,203 times

Advertisements

Wow in the past few weeks, as soon as the sun goes down, my allergies get really bad, with stuff nose, eyes and major drainage.

Is it mold? Doesn't seem to be the environment, since it happens at work when I'm there late, home or when I was in Birmingham over the weekend.

Anybody else having the same issues and if so, what OTC are you using to remedy? I've been using nasal sprays but don't like the way that get me wired up, and only seem to open the sinuses but not stopping the running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 03:52 PM

165 posts, read 507,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin View Post
Anybody else having the same issues and if so, what OTC are you using to remedy? I've been using nasal sprays but don't like the way that get me wired up, and only seem to open the sinuses but not stopping the running.
I've had some issues; it doesn't necessarily begin right at sunset, but it gradually gets worse as the evening goes on. The rain last Tuesday washed it out for a couple of days, but it's back now.

I've been using saline nasal spray. That works about as well as anything non-prescription. Occasionally Afrin when it's really bad, but you can't use that continuously because the tissues build up a resistance to it.

You should investigate the steroid nasal sprays. I've several times used Rhinocort during really bad seasons. The steroid dose is small enough that the side effects are minimal.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:18 PM

50 posts, read 180,657 times
I have been suffering this past month. It seemed to stop after 2 weeks when I took Mucinex D for 5 days. Then I got hit hard again this past week, but I have only been using a Neti pot and drinking Spicy Tomato Tea (heat 2 cups V-8, 2 Tbs lemon juice, 2-3 crushed garlic cloves, and 6-8 splashes of hot sauce), which seems to have helped my throat. I noticed that they harvested the cotton around my house, so that might have something to do with it.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 PM

165 posts, read 507,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emglo View Post
I noticed that they harvested the cotton around my house, so that might have something to do with it.
Oh yeah, that stirs up the cotton defoliant. That stuff's bad for provoking sinus and throat problems.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:44 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
With me it is always the up and down weather patterns....that gets me year round!

I use Zyrtec when my allergies are bad, if they are REALLY bad I take a Zyrtec D (I think you can buy both of these OTC, I have a script for the Zytec D).

Another thing that has really helped with my allergies is local honey. Buy some local honey from within 5-10 miles of where you are (it is easier to find than you think). Take one tablespoon a day...I take mine in hot tea sometimes, but I do occasionally just eat a spoonful (it's really good!).

Also, we purchased Temperpedic mattresses for all our beds, even our kids (allergies, too!). That has been a tremendous relief, as I used to wake up all clogged up. No more with the Temperpedic. They are very good for people who suffer from allergies, because allergens and dust mites do not get into the mattress like normal spring mattresses. Plus, they are extrememly comfy...I could never go back to a regular mattress!

Hope some of my allergy tricks helps you out...I have been able to keep my allergy attacks to a minimum.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:40 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
PM and I'll give you the name of our asthma doctor!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:06 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
OK, the asthmatic husband mentioned this morning that he was feeling awful and he had figured it out - he drove back to Decatur this morning from an appointment in Huntsville and noticed that the cotton fields had been defoliated. His symptoms popped up right after that.

Keep your windows closed, and your air filters on "high."

Old 11-19-2009, 05:21 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,852 times
I have been having a sore throat at night and "stuffiness" along with sneezing in the AM, I figured I was coming down with something, but from what ya'll are saying, maybe I have an allergy to something I didn't know about.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:08 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,414 times
It's an allergen in the air - I can see it on my car, windshield, like pollen, but finer - I am not allergic to anything, but these days I just get an uncomfortable dry cough. I can only imagine what is does to sensitive people.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 PM

144 posts, read 433,203 times
Great input folks, thanks! I'm asthmatic also (currently on Advar and Proventil) and I've had a few of the more well know brands prescriptions such as Singular, and Zyrtic (sp) but with little or no results. I do see a well known allergy doc who has me set up on shots which I'll admit I really don't take because I simply don't have time.

I have the allergy free pillow cases, by the expensive filters, and was thinking about going with the allergy sheets and mega hepa filters.

The local honey method I hear works surprisingly well. Think I'll give that a try for sure.

Again thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area