Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,736 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to Northern Alabama within the year and we like the Madison area so any more information on what side of the I65 we should look at would be much appreciated. I was in the Madison area last December and toured the Ashbury model home and liked the area and pricing. Where are the major shopping centers, Costco and are there any fitness gyms nearby.

Thanks.

Dbone21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:23 PM

346 posts, read 851,035 times
Ashbury is where the plane crash occurred last Monday. The news did a segment mid-week if that occurrence would affect the buyers and real estate into the area since it's in the flight path of the airport. I'm glad it missed the homes on that particular street, but that would be really eerie if someone was planning on building a house on the crash site.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,184 times
It was eerie. I sold a home there 3 lots up from the crash site. I don't think it's anything to worry about. All of County Line is in the flight path so the odds of a plane crashing in the same place twice is slim to none. (or it should be, lol).

Old 01-25-2010, 08:35 AM

32 posts, read 80,302 times
In actuality, the flight path is hardly ever directly over Ashbury. The vast majority of the time (this is at least from anecdotal/empirical evidence), the flight path is down the east side of County Line. I think the plane crash in Ashbury isn't necessarily reflective of a flight path danger. The plane was in trouble and trying to take the shortest path back to the airport as opposed to a typical flight pattern. Just my observations, though. I hope others agree with me, too, so that I can sell my house down the road whenever I decide to move:-)

Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_the_wxguy View Post
In actuality, the flight path is hardly ever directly over Ashbury. The vast majority of the time (this is at least from anecdotal/empirical evidence), the flight path is down the east side of County Line. I think the plane crash in Ashbury isn't necessarily reflective of a flight path danger. The plane was in trouble and trying to take the shortest path back to the airport as opposed to a typical flight pattern. Just my observations, though. I hope others agree with me, too, so that I can sell my house down the road whenever I decide to move:-)
You are correct. The flight flight is closer to the Balch Rd path than the west side of County Line.

That crash was a fluke. At first I thought it was one of those crop duster planes that is seen flying very low to the ground during its runs.

Probably the most dangerous part of the flight path is I-565 crossing right before the runway.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_the_wxguy View Post
I'd take the landing flight path any days over the take-off flight path Those jets are loud when they take off. Last year when I was looking at houses in Heritage Plantation (up ~2 miles north of you) when one of those commercial jet took off, it was very loud.

When you sell your house (if you ever decided to do so) just tell perspective buyers that they have a higher chance getting hit by tornado than by airplanes

Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
You are correct. The flight flight is closer to the Balch Rd path than the west side of County Line..
It sure look that way. Perhaps people who lives off Balch can verify. But then someone will be very upset because this is not disclosed in their HOA handbook.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 PM

164 posts, read 314,882 times
Minor thread Jack and introduction...

My wife and I are new to the area and are currently living on the Arsenal. We Have been looking and it seems that River Landing might meet our needs. So, we hope more people will comment on this sub...
We are looking at the Breland Plan #2500.

Any comments would be appreciated!

TIA

Chris

Old 02-02-2010, 04:11 PM

164 posts, read 314,882 times
Well, River Landing is a no-go. We want to keep our 5th Wheel Toy Hauler in the back yard behind the fence and that sub will not allow it...

Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,184 times
I wonder if you could park it on base?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area