Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 AM

94 posts, read 234,955 times

Advertisements

Snow every day... checking the map to make sure it says Alabama and not Antarctica!

Seriously though, after living in FL for 23 years, I am loving it. I'm actually in Grant and the area is beautiful. I still can't believe I finally live here, close to family and surrounded by such natural beauty. Even if it's too cold to do more than simply stare at it from indoors.

Very disturbing, however, i.e. the shooting at UAH. People leave certain places (like FL) because they think that kind of thing happens far too much there, but it just goes to show that craziness is not limited to particular geographic areas. Thoughts and prayers to all the students, faculty and family of the victims.

But on a happier note, I'm so glad to be home at last!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,224,291 times
You will love it Melanie although it has been almost as cold in FL this year. Spring is just around the corner and it is beautiful with all the daffodils and blooming trees.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:48 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,439,536 times
Welcome home, Melanie!

I actually have a few crocuses and hyacinth poking leaves up thanks to that 48 "warm" hours we had a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait to see 'em...but I'm seriously considering a January 2011 cruise to Mexico!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:19 PM

I can't wait 'til spring. Since our home was new construction, we have only one tree - a dogwood tree, but I am so looking forward to seeing that one tree blossom!

And yes, FL definitely got their fair share of winter this year. It is very confusing to Floridians when the temperature drops below 40 for more than 2 consecutive days. :/

Old 02-20-2010, 08:06 PM

113 posts, read 428,228 times
LOL Melanie!!!! I too have recently moved here from Florida(well....2 and a alf years ago I moved here). I lived in the Fort Lauderdale area....and I was used to running the AC on Christmas day every year. It was more of a shock to my wife who was born in Ft Lauderdale and raised there her whole life....she called the hills around town mountains when she saw them.....lol....until I took her to Gatlinburg and set her straight......hee hee hee... Welcome to your Sweet Home in Alabama!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 13,966 times
My wife and I are considering coming up, how would you Floridians compare it? We are coming from Orlando-

Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 AM

I would say similarities are many of the same stores and restaurants, hot summers, and certain areas are dealing with their fair share of congestion and overcrowded schools, particularly Madison. Huntsville has a lot of transplants from other areas of the country (many from FL, actually) so even though you'll notice it's much more "southern" than Orlando, there's still a bit of diversity.

Differences - mountains, four seasons, and yes, some VERY cold weather in the winter. Overall I find the cost of living to be much lower because you eliminate year-round pest control, our car insurance is half of what we paid in FL, as are our property taxes and homeowners insurance. I also like the fact that there are so many day trips you can take with Athens, Decatur, Madison, Huntsville, Fayetteville and lots of pretty country in-between, none of them difficult to get to at all. We moved here because we have family here but also thought it would be a better place to raise our kids. It's more laid back, doesn't feel as much like a rat race, and we were just tired of Florida heat.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieP View Post
Overall I find the cost of living to be much lower because you eliminate year-round pest control,
I think I posted a question about this a year or so ago. I have year round pest control and I was thinking that maybe I should suspend the service (to save money) in the winter because bugs are dormant? Not sure if A) I would pay a restart fee in spring which might negate the winter savings and B) I wouldn't need the pest control in winter for mice or rats (my neighbor had mice or rats but I never did).

Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,224,291 times
I agree with much of what Melanie stated about the area. I live 25 minutes south of H'ville. I love the 4 seasons and the spring is so pretty after a drab winter. My car ins didn't change much but my HOI dropped by over 1K. I have pets and vet bills are much cheaper too. There are a lot of things to do plus you have Lake Guntersville and the Tenn river if you like water sports. The ppl are nice too.

Charles.. I don't have bug service either. I did have a mouse in the walls this winter and it cost my $30 to have the guy come out and put bait out.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 AM

40 posts, read 83,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think I posted a question about this a year or so ago. I have year round pest control and I was thinking that maybe I should suspend the service (to save money) in the winter because bugs are dormant? Not sure if A) I would pay a restart fee in spring which might negate the winter savings and B) I wouldn't need the pest control in winter for mice or rats (my neighbor had mice or rats but I never did).

I run quarterly, year round service in Nashville and the treatment varies as to the season. We plan on something similar in Huntsville when my new home is complete.

Keep in mind that "indoor" pests do not go dormant, or for not as long. Check with you pest control provider and their competitors to see what is in your best interest economically.

Are Fire Ants much of a problem in HC? I know there huge issue further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area