Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Possible relocation to East Coast, Boca Raton, how hurricanes affect jobs, roads shut down, evacuation procedures, employment, store closure, hurricane watch or warning, curfews in place

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:12 AM

47 posts, read 157,642 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into the East Coast, probably Boca Raton. Can you please tell me how it works when a hurricane occurs, what about work?? I mean, you can't just get in your car and go. And I understand every job is different but, what is the norm?? Do they shut down the roads and things like that?? What I'm asking is. . . if and when a hurricane comes through, is everything shut down for the most part, what's the procedure (please forgive the ignorance as I've never witnessed a hurricane)??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 11:25 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
I've actually worked at several different jobs during the past couple of hurricanes we've had here. I was away in college during hurricane Charlie and I worked evenings at a 'Neighborhood Wal-Mart' (grocery store owned by walmart). We were told to keep reporting to work until further notice. If something happened, whoever was on shift would just hang out in the store and ride out the storm. Needless to say, it was a horrible place to work.

My other hurricane exp happened shortly after I graduated and started working at my full time day job. I work at a mental health agency- our campus has a 24 hour unit, detention area, medical services, etc so we were definitely prepared to camp out and just live in as necessary. In that case, I wouldn't have had a problem getting 'shut-in' but as with many hospitals or healthcare places, you would be considered on the clock at all times during a disaster. I don't know which type of field you work in but I think the medical field has different procedures on how they deal with hurricanes and employees. Fortunately for me, I normally work at an off campus location, so my division was told just not to report to work.

Anyway, hurricanes are tracked days in advance so most jobs will make a decision a head of time as to whether they will stay open or not. There are so many factors that go into that decision: if a certain area is forced to evacuate, then often times the employer will closed down anyway (knowing that most people will not be available for work).

Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I've actually worked at several different jobs during the past couple of hurricanes we've had here. I was away in college during hurricane Charlie and I worked evenings at a 'Neighborhood Wal-Mart' (grocery store owned by walmart). We were told to keep reporting to work until further notice. If something happened, whoever was on shift would just hang out in the store and ride out the storm. Needless to say, it was a horrible place to work.

My other hurricane exp happened shortly after I graduated and started working at my full time day job. I work at a mental health agency- our campus has a 24 hour unit, detention area, medical services, etc so we were definitely prepared to camp out and just live in as necessary. In that case, I wouldn't have had a problem getting 'shut-in' but as with many hospitals or healthcare places, you would be considered on the clock at all times during a disaster. I don't know which type of field you work in but I think the medical field has different procedures on how they deal with hurricanes and employees. Fortunately for me, I normally work at an off campus location, so my division was told just not to report to work.

Anyway, hurricanes are tracked days in advance so most jobs will make a decision a head of time as to whether they will stay open or not. There are so many factors that go into that decision: if a certain area is forced to evacuate, then often times the employer will closed down anyway (knowing that most people will not be available for work).
Thanks a lot, I had absolutely no idea of what happens with this kind of situation. Appreciate the input

Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM

693 posts, read 2,177,016 times
Hi there!

Live in the Boca Raton area for 12 years or so. In the past hurricanes were more like "southern snow days" you would get the time off. Lately the storms have been a bit more serious but most employers will allow their employees to leave early and board up their homes. Salaried employees usually get paid for the missed time.

In a bad storm, stores close and reopen ASAP. Generally roads stay open, but they will issue warnings if you are supposed to stay off them. Also, if an evacuation gets called... then all bets are off, everyone gets off of work to prepare and the toll roads waive the tolls. Publix (our big name grocer)and Walmarts will stay open as long as possible for supplies as will the Home Depots.

The thing to do is keep listening to the weather... most people don't do anything unless the hurricane "watch" becomes a hurricane "warning".

Keep in mind that people have gotten much punchier about hurricanes since Rita Ivan Wilma and Katrina. Years ago hurricane supplies meant wine and video tapes :-) I had a ton of damage after Wilma (both cars and throughout my home) but ultimately we were due. I would rather take the risk of a hurricane every few years than the guarantee of snow every winter.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:25 AM

Wink Hurricanes better than Blizzards

Absolutely! I would think that having a hurricane CAN be fun at times (as long as no one is in danger). That whole wine and videos idea sounds really good. Especially if you can get paid to do it! Thank you so much for the advice.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2FL View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into the East Coast, probably Boca Raton. Can you please tell me how it works when a hurricane occurs, what about work?? I mean, you can't just get in your car and go. And I understand every job is different but, what is the norm?? Do they shut down the roads and things like that?? What I'm asking is. . . if and when a hurricane comes through, is everything shut down for the most part, what's the procedure (please forgive the ignorance as I've never witnessed a hurricane)??
Usually the stop lights are out of commission, so it's stop and go traffic. This can be an issue for sometime, expect the lights to also be out of sync for a few months. I remember after Wilma, some lights were causing major traffic back-ups because the fiber optic links were broken linking traffic control.

If you place of employment has no power and the job requires it, odds are you won't be there. Curfews are in place in the evening.

It depends on how bad it is.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 AM

448 posts, read 1,856,012 times
No electricity for weeks, no safe water to drink. Fun fun Fun.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
No electricity for weeks, no safe water to drink. Fun fun Fun.
You can survive without electricity if your in good health, only the sick, elderly and the young need it the most. For water you prepare and buy several cases of bottled water, if you can't afford it the govt. will supply it just be prepared to stand in line for it.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2FL View Post
Absolutely! I would think that having a hurricane CAN be fun at times (as long as no one is in danger). That whole wine and videos idea sounds really good. Especially if you can get paid to do it! Thank you so much for the advice.
FUN? Oh yeah, it's just a freakin' barrel of monkeys till 7 a.m. when the sun's coming up, it's about 85 out, the wines gone, the electric's off which means it's hot & muggy in your boarded up house, no cable, no water, nothing's open and you may or may not be able to drive on the roads due to fallen trees, cable lines, debris, no ATM's, no restaurants are open....FUN...and then looking at the damage, water intrusion...ah, yeah, ALL GOOD FUN....

People killed in the scramble to get out of towns, airports, highways....When Andrew came, I-95 was a parking lot. Now, a parking lot is fun, right? And I-75 is not any better...there's only two main highways in & out of FL....and like with Charley a few years back, the hurricane did not follow the radar path...they are not predictable and can turn up down & around at any time....

You have never seen anything like the terror that comes over children that have experienced a major hurricane; they did not think it was a fun experience if it was a major storm.

Rain is fun...Hurricanes are deadly monsters...Maybe you'd think a Sunami is fun too...

Sorry but unless you've been through evacuations & hurricanes, you don't know what it's like.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM

693 posts, read 2,177,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
FUN? Oh yeah, it's just a freakin' barrel of monkeys till 7 a.m. when the sun's coming up, it's about 85 out, the wines gone, the electric's off which means it's hot & muggy in your boarded up house, no cable, no water, nothing's open and you may or may not be able to drive on the roads due to fallen trees, cable lines, debris, no ATM's, no restaurants are open....FUN...and then looking at the damage, water intrusion...ah, yeah, ALL GOOD FUN....

People killed in the scramble to get out of towns, airports, highways....When Andrew came, I-95 was a parking lot. Now, a parking lot is fun, right? And I-75 is not any better...there's only two main highways in & out of FL....and like with Charley a few years back, the hurricane did not follow the radar path...they are not predictable and can turn up down & around at any time....

You have never seen anything like the terror that comes over children that have experienced a major hurricane; they did not think it was a fun experience if it was a major storm.

Rain is fun...Hurricanes are deadly monsters...Maybe you'd think a Sunami is fun too...

Sorry but unless you've been through evacuations & hurricanes, you don't know what it's like.
Actually, after hurricane wilma both my cars were wrecked, my home was flooded we had boil warnings and no power or phones for weeks... BUT...IT WAS THE MOST FUN I HAD HAD IN YEARS!!!! We hung out with all the neighbors grilling and talking, we borrowed and shared and it was a blast because we were all in the same boat. We also wereen't expecting it, and after we were hit nobody cared because katrina had just happened.

Was the damage annoying, you bet. But thats why we pay the insurance. But life is what you make it, once you give up the need to be in control and make the most of it --- Florida throws us lemons make lemonade --- with limes we get mojitos! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes