Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times

Advertisements

Considering the abundance of poverty in Miami, when a Cat4-5 hurricane makes a direct hit on Miami, what will be in its future? Will the city rebuild in a hurry, or languish for years after, with a rising crime rate and pockets of desperation? This is no fantasy, it is comming, someday. Any ideas of how this will turn out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 09:41 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Considering the abundance of poverty in Miami, when a Cat4-5 hurricane makes a direct hit on Miami, what will be in its future? Will the city rebuild in a hurry, or languish for years after, with a rising crime rate and pockets of desperation? This is no fantasy, it is comming, someday. Any ideas of how this will turn out?
It will be a building bonanza, they will start the next day. They love to build down here, it's what they do.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:56 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
A big part of New Orleans' problem is their government - the city, parish and state government can't agree on many things, and delays ensue. The politics in Miami & FL are different than NO & LA, so I think Miami might fare a little better in a similar situation.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:53 AM

975 posts, read 3,730,730 times
Has Miami ever taken a direct hit like that before?

Old 08-18-2007, 08:44 AM

Hurricane Andrew scored a direct hit on Homestead, a southern suburb of Miami. Being as large as it was (storm and Miami), Miami might as well have been the target. And for the record, New Orleans was on the west side of the storm eye - it did not take a direct hit. Had NO been the landfall site, I doubt there would have been enough left to rebuild.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:18 PM

151 posts, read 599,315 times
From what I've heard from the Katrina anniversary shows rebuilding is happening but it's the charities that are doing it. I also hear that the levees are NOT able to withstand another Cat 3 storm and the rebuliding in some areas is somewhat ridiculous because of that. What are your feelings on that?
Miami rebuilding I agree will not be slowed by the lack of leadership by the local govt. as in New Orleans.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:03 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Has Miami ever taken a direct hit like that before?
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/newpage/1926_marker_1.JPG (broken link)

Miami hurricanes
National Weather Service Forecast Office Miami-South Florida

Old 09-04-2007, 07:11 AM

150 posts, read 426,251 times
Most of the impovershed areas of Miami are inland a little. Therefore, they shouldn't suffer the tremendous flood damage like what happened in the Ninth Ward of NOLA. Miami Beach, Fischer Island and Key Biscayne could be devastated by a direct hit, but those areas have a lot of money to rebuild. Downtown Miami as well. And while Nagin and Blanco completely dropped the ball first in protecting the city before the storm, and afterward during the rebuilding process, I don't have a lot of confidence in Miami and Florida's politicians in doing much better.

I have recently moved to East TN, so I shouldn't have to worry about the hurricanes anymore.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:24 PM

Keep in mind, too, that Miami isn't in a bowl surrounded by levees - so flooding will drain off much faster than it did in New Orleans. And while I didn't vote for him, our Gov has a lot more on the ball than LA's gov. I hope Miami never has to find out, but I think it would fare much better than NO after a direct hit. Of course, the Miami residents might be as dumb as NO residents were and not evacuate.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Very badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes