Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 08:53 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
They do when they are fishing for a government contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 09:12 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Default Brother Leaving For Marco

Hey all,

Since a lot of you have asked about our house on Marco Island, I wanted to give you an update. As you know, Marco took a direct hit of Irma when it was a Cat 3 storm yesterday. From reports I’ve heard, it may not be as bad as many predicted. The power is gradually being restored, and water is available in some areas. There’s still a lot of downed trees, and debris everywhere. There’s also still some flooding in some areas of the island. Apparently, a lot of roofs have been damaged. But thankfully just a few of the buildings had structural damage. It could have been a lot worse.

So we’re heading down to Marco sometime later today to clean up the mess, make necessary repairs, and help our neighbors in need where we can. We’re not sure how long we’ll be there – we’re hoping for about a week, but we’ll know better when we get there and assess the damages.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:17 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That's a good description but if you can see your yard and there are no cars floated in or your neighbor's roof...all is well...
Be grateful for blessings...expected or random...
I was simply making an observation.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Where are you? I'm in Sarasota county and pretty positive nobody here will be sleeping tonight...
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I am in North Port and we lost power around 8 p.m. Sunday night and didn't get it back on permanently until 8:30 last night.

That eye moving slightly east of us was a minor miracle and I actually slept like a baby until 6 yesterday morning. No damage except for two banana trees and 6 out of 14 screens on the lanai. No power, no water, no flush the toilet. No flush for peeing, just for pooping and then use the bucket of water from the pool. Used the grill to cook up steaks and put stainless pans on to heat up canned goods. Plenty of bottled water to wash hands, faces, brush teeth. We did well, TG.

I had thrown everything plastic into the pool. We had drained it somewhat for the rain. Yesterday I donned my bathing suit and went in to retrieve everything. It was mighty cold at first! I had lifted the clothes rack out of the pool when out of the corner of my eye I saw something move on my arm! My first reaction was to swat or swipe but in mid-motion I saw it was a baby gecko no more than 1 1/2" long! The rack must have been his life raft. I rested my arm on the side of the pool and let him walk around on me until he jumped off. I like geckos.

Where in the county are you? Did you get any damage? I just heard Venice got it a little worse than we did.

Hoping everyone escaped with minimal damage. Onto the next one??? (As she runs away looking for a helmet!)

Old 09-12-2017, 10:36 AM

83,528 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Another look at the wind gusts from Irma. mostly 40-80mph except South Florida 80-140mph. Obviously highest near landfall

Rainfall totals from Irma

Last edited by Cambium; 09-12-2017 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 11:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Um, no it doesn't. You just took it that way with your over active imagination. Storms are over, take a chill pill.
I understand inference...and your comments are more overt to me...

Old 09-12-2017, 01:41 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And it was so refreshing to be in such a long thread with posters from many areas and political persuasions (I am sure) and not see those nasty cat fights develop.
I would not be surprised if there is another big storm that kicks up in the Gulf. Told our daughter to leave everything inside for now until we know for sure the season is over...just put cardboard under any feet that might stain...
The friends they sheltered with were still on generator power late yesterday so they might move in if it doesn't come back today...but everyone we know from Port Charlotte through North Port and up,Thru Venice and Sarasota fares so much better than it could have been...

Be safe wherever the winds take you!
You know , I was going to say this...it was a pleasure to be in a thread on this forum not politically DISEASED. This forum is littered with people spreading their agendas. Thankfully it does not spill into weather threads.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:59 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,777,073 times
Unbelievable amount of trees down here, that's what 100MPH gusts will do I guess.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:22 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,632,715 times
NOAA starting to regularly issue after irma aerial photos starting with Key West, Marco Island, Naples, Ft Myers beach front areas. Areas will be added/expanded upon daily. Not all of FL will be photographed, just key areas of interest / coastlines usually:

**to use...zoom into the tiny black line areas...they're really photographs stitched together**

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

Old 09-12-2017, 03:39 PM

66 posts, read 97,237 times
Tallahassee had little to no damage, and our house still has power. I'm still happy we evacuated to Birmingham, though. I'm sending positive thoughts to all who have been impacted by this terrible storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes