Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 07:02 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

I asked the owner for this software if he can get us the Satellite updates every 10 minutes at least. This every 30 minutes update isn't working for me.

I know there are other better sites but none that show it for past 4 hours like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 07:21 AM

Irma's path in black. That dip southwest is why we're even still talking about it. lol GEFS ensembles in Red. Only updated to 2am though.

https://ruc.noaa.gov/tracks/

Old 09-04-2017, 07:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Ok--I have no depth in this field...trying to gleam useful and likely hints...
Do I interpret your "lol" comment means you think there is no danger to the US based on your background/ability to analyze-anticipate?
That Irma likely goes NE out to sea vs US landfall?

Yet the reason I think Levi Cowan is trustworthy is that he says you can't predict too far in advance because of the variables that influence weather systems...

Old 09-04-2017, 07:39 AM

7,260 posts, read 4,634,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I asked the owner for this software if he can get us the Satellite updates every 10 minutes at least. This every 30 minutes update isn't working for me. ....
This is what happens when we get something as amazing as GOES16/East satellite lol!!! Becomes fully operational in November.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Ok--I have no depth in this field...trying to gleam useful and likely hints...
Do I interpret your "lol" comment means you think there is no danger to the US based on your background/ability to analyze-anticipate?
That Irma likely goes NE out to sea vs US landfall?

Yet the reason I think Levi Cowan is trustworthy is that he says you can't predict too far in advance because of the variables that influence weather systems...
Cambium is likely responding to you as I type this but I beleive is referring to the WestSouthWest/SouthWest track Irma is on...it happens but you don't see that very often. Typical storms that "high up" on the map almost always recurve out to sea by this point. So I take the lol as to say most people wouldn't give it 5 seconds were this on a more normal WNW moving storm at it's current/recent location because it would likely be turning out to sea, but since its moving down instead of up we watch closely. Yes Levi of TropicalTidbits is a great resource!

Old 09-04-2017, 08:00 AM

Basically sums up the current situation. And a good reminder to not just focus on the "cone" maps as they don't go out far enough to show the potential 90 degree turn some of the models are suggesting (still highly subject to change). This is just the models that make up the Euro model:

Old 09-04-2017, 08:09 AM

I forget why I put lol. Lol. (Damn Im old) I think it was implying that we're still talking about Irma otherwise it would of just went OTS and we wouldnt have been active in this thread. That SW move was key to a U.S hit

Old 09-04-2017, 08:18 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Woke this morning with a much better outlook on the storm. If these trends hold VA Beach is in the clear. Sorry to FL and maybe the Gulf.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:26 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
As a newbie I appreciate the responses to my likely lame questions which offer information, not ridicule...

I have been on the wrong/negative end of statistics too many times to assume good news when tragedy is "unlikely"...
The worst failure I am coming to believe is the failure of imagination...with all its ramifications...

Old 09-04-2017, 08:30 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Woke this morning with a much better outlook on the storm. If these trends hold VA Beach is in the clear. Sorry to FL and maybe the Gulf.
If I where you I would still keep my eye on this. I think the models will start a northward shift again today. Not much westward or southward trend left for it because of an area of high pressure in the Gulf. We are still a good 5 days away from any substantial impact. EPS actually shifted its mean last night slightly north and east.

Also guys, don't believe the GFS intensity forecasts. It certainly could go sub 900 but 880s landfalling in Florida after going over Cuba and passing by shredderola ( Hispaniola)? makes absolutely no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes