Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:10 AM

22 posts, read 74,684 times

Advertisements

New to FL. I saw the zone map, red, yellow, green. No explanation of what the colors actually mean.

I am in Coral Gables, ground floor corner, in a 2 story building with no shutters, and old lousey windows. Many buildings around here are similar. These windows seem to have been around for a very long time. Still, I am a bit concerned. I hear the landlord is required by law to board the place up if there is a warning, but have been unable to verify.

Are the Gables far enough inland to not be as threatened, or should I be as worried as anyone? I am having trouble finding out where a local shelter may be. Anyone have a link for me?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 11:49 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Not sure about your area, but I found a website for the city of Coral Gables and it includes hurricane evac info ---> City of Coral Gables Web Site (http://www.coralgables.com/CGWeb/hurricane3.aspx - broken link).

Old 07-06-2008, 12:34 PM

21 posts, read 139,637 times
I was new to the area back when Katrina hit - coming from NJ I had never been through a hurricane before. This is what I found out being here in Miami. No the landlord will not help out in a hurricane, no tape is not good to use either. boards or shutters are the best bet, from rumors I hear that anything on the west side of the tpk is pretty much not prone to flooding, but again depending on the strength and the direction, anything is prone to flooding. As for shelters, you should be able to go on the city/county page and it will tell you where the closest shelters are near you. I am pretty sure you are Dade county so try the miamidade.gov site - you will be able to find a lot of info out on there, I still use it. Good luck, right now all is quiet, one of the important factors I found to be though is your long & lat, very useful in tracking the hurricanes.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Depending on what part of the Gables you are in, if you are west of US1 then you are not in an evacuation zone for flooding, most likely. If you are east of US1, you need to check with the map to see.

The evacuation map is for flooding mostly. Flooding isn't the only thing to worry about. Without hurricane shutters, you could have debris that could hit your windows and allow wind and rain in. Tornadoes during a Hurricane which you know what they can do. So what you need to do to prepare for a hurricane if one comes is do what the hurricane guide says to do. Prepare...If you decide to stay in town for a storm, have at least (if not more) a 3-7 day supply of food and water. Make sure all your important documents are in plastic bags and in a plastic container that is water tight. Move things like your tv, computer, etc away from the windows and into a safe area without windows. Also wrap them in plastic bags, so when the roof starts to leak or the water starts to drip from the ceiling fixtures they will be safe from the water. Like the other poster said tape doesn't work, don't even waste your time. Make sure get the things on the list flashlights, lanterns, radio (one of those antenna tvs will still work this season $10 at BrandsMart) If after the storm the building is fine, you will have to remove that tape and they will not be fun. Make sure there is no lose things laying around outside as they can become flying objects.

Are you sure the building doesn't have shutters, it can be the silver kind that you put up right before a storm. If they are those kind, right now you may only see tiny holes around the window or a bar around the window that the shutters slide into.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:16 PM

392 posts, read 1,261,657 times
Best bet is go to www.miamidade.gov/hurricane and go over their web sight for hurricane prep information.

You can also go to any of the tv news web sights and they have special hurricane sections to click on to get information

Parts of the gables are considered evacuation zones depending on where in the gables you live. On the Miami Dade web sight I gave it gives the colored zones with what each color stands for.

Landlords are not required to board up if there are no shutters ready to go in the event of a hurricane. I would contact your landlord and ask what they do in the event of a hurricane. If they don't board up the place I would see if a friend who perhaps does have shutters would let you stay with them. The last place I want to be in a hurricane is a place with no window protection.

Also get some renters insurance........ you may never need it, but it only takes a hurricane or fire to possibly loose everything....

Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 PM

22 posts, read 74,684 times
Thanks everyone. There is ZERO evidence of anywhere shutters would attach on this building, and the landlords never really return a call. I would buy the wood cut for the window sizes ahead of time myself, but they would probably sue me for any holes created by attaching it.

-And I imagine the city would fine me for boarding up the apartment. I have been fined for something almost every week since arriving here. Today it was for parking in the Metrorail lot, even though I paid the fee, and have the receipt. I would lose more money taking time off work to fight the ticket, so I guess I just have to pay it. I was fined for moving in, and not having a permit...unbelievible.

Moved here for a job, I have no friends to help with anything.

Florida is turning out to be a whole more trouble than it is worth.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganyguy View Post
Thanks everyone. There is ZERO evidence of anywhere shutters would attach on this building, and the landlords never really return a call. I would buy the wood cut for the window sizes ahead of time myself, but they would probably sue me for any holes created by attaching it.

-And I imagine the city would fine me for boarding up the apartment. I have been fined for something almost every week since arriving here. Today it was for parking in the Metrorail lot, even though I paid the fee, and have the receipt. I would lose more money taking time off work to fight the ticket, so I guess I just have to pay it. I was fined for moving in, and not having a permit...unbelievible.

Moved here for a job, I have no friends to help with anything.

Florida is turning out to be a whole more trouble than it is worth.

Miami-Dade county is more trouble than it is worth. I got a ticket for an expired tag even though mine is not expired. I will take the time to go downtown and get a court date and go to MDPD headquarters and make a complaint about the PSA who wrote the ticket. Also I am going to locate him and make a video to put on youtube making fun of the department. No wonder I hate Miami-Dade county more than any other part of Florida! If it's not your apartment just secure your stuff as much as possible and ride it out in the bathtub or closet. Let the storm give the Gables what's coming.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Read your lease again just to make sure. My son's lease holds him responsible to board up windows but the wood is in the garage. The advise about the dripping is good advise, I had a second floor collapse from a flood and wet drywall all over your stuff will ruin allot. If you want to board up maybe just get him to sign something to that effect.

Call the city or the state, too. Florida has a statute that prohibits any landlord or HOA or whatever to stop people from using energy saving things like clotheslines....I dont know the statue all that well but you'd think they would also prohibit a landlord from stopping the freaking tenant from protecting the house.

I 'm in the same boat as you with nobody to help with shutters. There are metal hurricane shutters in this rental that I have to put up myself too, what a PITA you need a ladder and they arent featherweight. I barely thought about it when I signed the lease but I assume it's gonna be hard to find someone to do that so I'm practicing this week. my son is 1.5 hrs away but he'll be procrastinating till the last minute I'm sure. lol My next place will have them built in for sure.

Just this week I got a coupla tarps and put everything I don't use in rubbermaid tubs in the walk in closet and have some empty for other stuff if the time comes. Like to dump my printer in etc. The renter's insurance is good, (Citizens the state one is expensive ime) I paid 300 for a different company, high coverage and it has a move out clause so they pay if this place is not inhabitable. Try and hook that up if you can. Take it seriously though, my son had to hold his king mattress against the front door for 6 hours during Rita, there were alot of false alarms with low categories that year and this one time (luckily kinda) he stayed home and at least his crap wasn't blown all around the neighborhood. All year before that one he stayed at a Marriott where his GF worked, they encourage it, pets and all, because alot of people go there instead of shelters too.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:22 PM

392 posts, read 1,261,657 times
Ganyguy

If you used plywood you can use a product called Plylox
Go to www.plylox.com it shows you everything you need to know. How many clips per window size, how to measure, how to install and remove.

With plylox you don't have to drill any holes into any walls etc. and your landlord will probably be happy you did something.

They have a list of where you can buy them and also how to do it yourself. Looks like alot of Home Depots carry them.

You basically cut the wood to fit into outside window casing frame and use these clips to hold in place...... See if it will work for you.

During a declared Hurricane warning you need to do anything and everything to protect your life and property.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
I imagine you can get a contractor from Home Depot's list to do the work, too. Maybe Lowes does it too I'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes