Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:26 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times

Advertisements

I live in Navarre east of Pcola and the area was hit by hurricanes and we had damage, but the most of the area is back. The closer to the water the greatest chance for damage, but mother nature can play tricks on any location. The further inland the best, cheapper HOI, lower cost housing, lower taxes ( based on cost), and a more established community (less tourist or snowbirds).

During hurricane season we monitor TV/radio and we have sufficient notification to make plans on how to proceed if the hurricane is coming this way. I don't fear hurricanes, but I do follow safety advices by local and state agencies.

Like any other city has a bit of everything, but depends on your desires. Many folks have posted about the area, just do a search for Pensacola and you shoud find answers from many forum members...

Our family does enjoy what Pcola has to offer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,909 times
Red face Looking for that ideal acreage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTO View Post
What do you guy's think of the Pensacola area? I understand that Hurricane Ivan was pretty bad, that being said how far inland would you have to live to minimize the damage from something like that.
Thanks in Advance.
Okay, be patient with me, this is my first EVER posting on ANYTHING!!! My husband and I have also been eyeing Pensacola for about 1.5 years now. All that is left of extended family lives in Wiggins, MS and that is just not an option. I have spent more time on realtor.com looking for specific properties but I am beginning to think they are just lures by the realtor listing them?? This thread (and others like it) have been very helpful - the good, bad, and ugly!! We would rather come with our eyes wide open!!

We are prior Navy, coming with 2/3 children and one mom (also a vet). I have a horse (one for now) and my hubby is a general contractor/remodelor and also has a targeted vendor status with the gov. contracting. We need a hobby farm or high dry land to build on. He needs a shop and I need the land (possibly 10-15 acres)! Of course it would be really nice to connect privately and save the $1000s of $$ in realtor fees so if anyone is out there with anything close to the Blackwater River State Park/Forest...I would love to hear back!!

The hurricane issue is definately one that we have little experience in and we do plan on living inland (northern Milton, Allentown, Cantonment etc). I have questions on safety of horses in this type of weather (I did have the mare microchipped) and any input on Morton type building contractors in the area??

I have tons of questions, but I don't think this particular thread is for all of them...Thanks so much for any input!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 18,756 times
I live in Navarre Beach Florida(right between Pensacola and fortwalton) and yeah Ivan kicked our...butts..It sucked but it wasn't the worst ever!! our power was back in about a week..finding gas was horrible!! Tornados are never our Biggest concern it's the water surge..with Ivan the ocean came all the way across it literally took houses(on the bay) back out with it!! when we drove through for the first time we were amazed at the debris and water everywhere! we actually lived maybe a block from the Bay at the time...no damage at all..i think one of our outside lights were tilted! I would just reccomend living inland and if it's a 3 or higher get out!! I wanna say milton probablly got the most Tornados but it must not have been horrible b/c i can't remember!!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:05 AM

130 posts, read 597,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTO View Post
That's great information guy's! I'm from the Midwest, Chicago to be exact, and don't really know much about hurricanes. I could easily understand how the media would sensationalize the aftermath as that's what makes good news.
Thoughts from the vantage point of someone who lost their family home to Ivan...

Though we reminisce about it, in the end, it's just "stuff".

It's actually funny, after coming back and seeing all the land that I tried to grow grass on as a kid, but grass would never grow, the whole empty lot is now COVERED in tall grasses, weeds, bushes, you name it. It's like the past 20+ years never happened. We've all moved on w. our lives, still love the Pensacola area, and have adjusted accordingly.

My folks, they lived on the sound in Gulf Breeze, just across the three mile bridge from Pensacola.

My friends who all live closer inland, or on the other side of Hwy98 (not the water side) had minimal if next to no damage in Ivan.

GRANTED, there was ALOT of destruction on the coast. I remember driving on the road to my parents home, and the place looked like a bomb had gone off. Boats, cars pieces of houses, clothing, garbage, everything under the sun, was strewn all over the place.. in the back woods, peoples lawns, on the street. It was AMAZING to see.

And yet, we still love living on the Gulf Coast, and can't see living anywhere else. This his home (and most of us have lived/travelled all over, having come from New York.. but having lived for many years in Atlanta, San Francisco, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc., etc.).

The Gulf Coast, with it's gorgeous natural beauty, and friendly, laid back American lifestyle, is a comfortable and happy place to be.

SO, what brings you to the new south?
=sb

Old 08-21-2016, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 772 times
I just moved to Pensacola last month, completely alone, with my dog, and now they are talking about a hurricane coming in this area this season, and I am terrified to say the least. Do I have enough time to leave and go back home if it were to come? Also, I live 12 miles from Pensacola Beach, and as I am not blind, I know flooding can happen regardless, but what is the preparation time for this or tornados or hurricanes? I am literally making myself sick over it and nothing is in sight, but I did read we are a main target this season. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-21-2016, 01:10 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Lol, don't be so worried, there is no storm headed your way yet... you will have time to prepare. Just watch the news, and take it upon yourself to monitor hurricane activity. Also have a plan in case you can't evacuate in time which is unlikely considering you will have a few days time more than likely which is more than enough to get to safety.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:53 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonb2011 View Post
I just moved to Pensacola last month, completely alone, with my dog, and now they are talking about a hurricane coming in this area this season, and I am terrified to say the least. Do I have enough time to leave and go back home if it were to come? Also, I live 12 miles from Pensacola Beach, and as I am not blind, I know flooding can happen regardless, but what is the preparation time for this or tornados or hurricanes? I am literally making myself sick over it and nothing is in sight, but I did read we are a main target this season. Thanks in advance!
Miami is the area in the United States most prone to Hurricanes and we haven't had one in over 10 years. Even when they do come it's not usually something too worrying...just a few days off school/work.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
A possible 34 foot storm surge running inland following canals and waterways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes