Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:00 PM

149 posts, read 347,453 times

Advertisements

What's the general consensus on Hyundai vehicles? My current and previous vehicle is/was a Chevy and I've had nothing but problems with both unfortunately. There are a couple Hyundai's that I like. I want a reliable car that I don't have to take into the shop a couple times a year. Are Hyundai's considered reliable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:05 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
I would say they generally are reliable. If you're getting a new or newer one, they have 10yr 100k powertrain warranty which is spectacular considering most non-luxury brands only offer 5 yr 60k on this.

Not one make out there, be it Hyundai, BMW, Honda, Ford, etc will make perfect cars. Hyundais will likely need a repair sometime during your ownership, but in my opinion, Hyundai would be a good gamble.
Have you also looked at Toyota or Honda? Have you also considered keeping a savings account dedicated to unexpected repairs?

Old 07-29-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I would say they generally are reliable. If you're getting a new or newer one, they have 10yr 100k powertrain warranty which is spectacular considering most non-luxury brands only offer 5 yr 60k on this.

Not one make out there, be it Hyundai, BMW, Honda, Ford, etc will make perfect cars. Hyundais will likely need a repair sometime during your ownership, but in my opinion, Hyundai would be a good gamble.
Have you also looked at Toyota or Honda? Have you also considered keeping a savings account dedicated to unexpected repairs?
Yes, they do have a good warranty. And yes, I realize no car is perfect. But there are some makers out there with much better reputations than others. I do have a savings if needed. Luckily the things I've needed done on my current car (2009 Malibu) have been covered by the warranty. Though it does seem ridiculous that this car has had to have the engine, exhaust manifold, and catalytic converter replaced!

Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
The new ones are much better than the old ones. However, they are still considered budget cars and inferior to many other brands. Hyundai and Kia seem to invest money into looks. I'd probably rather have a Toyota or Honda with less options for the same price as a Hyundai or Kia with fancy stuff I don't need. Toyo and Honda have better resell values and have a better reputation.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
I'd say equal to GM or Chrysler. Try to get a good deal, though. The Koreans are trying hard to shed the "if you have a job and $199" reputation, with some success, Hyundai especially. (I know, Hyu and Kia share a lot, but they're a lot better at brand differentiation than, say, Chrysler.) Kia still strikes me as a "buy here, pay here" car and "voted most likely to be parked on the front lawn," but I'd say the same about Chevrolet and especially Dodge. (The new Cadenza seems really nice, though.)

Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
The new Cadenza seems really nice, though.
The Cadenza does seem to be a nice car, albeit just one more iteration of the, "vaguely disguised Hyundai" syndrome, as it is simply Kia's version of the Hyundai Azera.

Potentially, the most interesting thing about the Cadenza is the betting pool revolving around the question, "How long will it be before some moron refers to it as the Kia Credenza?", thereby converting it into a piece of furniture.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Kia & Hyundai have both come a LONG way in the past 5-10 years. For the money, they are probably some of the best automobile values out there. Just remember, though, that you're not going to get a Mercedes ride for a Hyundai price...

Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM

29 posts, read 69,507 times
I drove my 2000 Hyundai Sonata for 11 years and really enjoyed the car. I now drive a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe which I love and my wife is liking her 2011 Hyundai Elantra. I haven't had any issues outside of normal wear and tear on my Hyundais.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:01 PM

The Elantra and Sonata are what I've been eyeing.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,651 times
I like the newer models, seems to be good value for what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia