Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Idaho Falls radio stations advertise mostly during the spring ratings period, which usually lasts from the the first of April to the end of May. This, unlike larger markets, is the only time when stations are rated. This advertising usually is confined to two major sources, TV and billboards. Look around as you drive and you will see many radio station billboards. The idea is "recall". Many big markets use electronic monitoring called PPM, where there is no room for error. Here in E. Idaho, we do not have access to this technology yet, and probably won't for years. So it is telephone surveys based on "recall", so in that sense it is a "recall" market, meaning we have to be memorable. I hope that answers your question. The phone surveys ask many general questions, and your recall can make all the difference. I can't ethically pursuade you how to answer, but I can ethically ask you what stations you have been listening to the most recently? The answers you give can make a difference in how each station does in the ratings, and thus attain a fair revenue for their ad time. If this doesn't make sense, I am open to further questions as to how this works.
PW,

I understand what you wrote, but I have additional questions. With your open-ended remark about being "open to further questions, " how can I ignore your offer?

Mine are probably a little unusual - what's new.......

Okay, so is it a local survey/polling type business who places the calls or one from outside the area? 2. I've read some about this but can't remember the final answer for now. Let me ask my next question this way: what is the market area where residents are called? Specifically, would Poky be in or out? And the same for Rexburg and Jackson, WY?

How do those who call get the numbers to call? More and more people opt for cell phones only. Are they included? If not, it seems to me that could skew a sample. In general, I would think those who have lived here longer would be more likely to have landlines. Some people who move have both but not all (probably families with kids or Sr. Parents) living at the same residence. Of course I could be wrong.
However, I know many neighborhoods who print a " neighbors directory" with phone numbers. Too many phone numbers to really reach someone aren't published numbers in the phone directory.

How does the group calling correct for cell phone only (or mostly) residences?

What about those who have retained their cell phone numbers from other states and don't have a 208 area code? Again, to me that could skew a sample.

Who pays to have this done and are the results released to the public in any manner?

I'll.start there......I have more questions which kind of fall into a different grouping.

Thanks

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 04-09-2014 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Scott,

What kind of music do you and your wife like? Do you have iPhones, smart phones or droids you can install apps? Or even on your computer, we can send you some links to get you ready for your visit.

msr
msr Thankyou for the offer, could use some links, to get ready for the visit. I have room on my computer for a Music library.
I just have my computer at home. At work in the shipyard we (workers) are not allowed to have any cell phones, iphones or smart phones anything with camera in them, due to security issues. I have a cell phone only and it was hard to find, as almost every cell phone now days has a camera in them. Most people leave their cell phone home for that reason. I usually listen to the only country station on Oahu, but i do like other music top 40 usually back between the 70's through the 90's, which the wife likes.
Scott

Old 04-09-2014, 11:06 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Cell phones are included in the survey. How they get them? Beats me.

If one has opted out of solicitation calls, I think these type of calls are regulated to be non-solicited, but I'm not sure.
But because they are not trying to sell anything, I think that is how they get around that.

The results are public once the radio station releases them.

Most who are called are willing to give this information. So the sample, IMO, is strong. However, the small sample can give some deceiving results, which us in the industry always fret about. The ups and downs are usually discarded, the trends tend to have much more attention paid to.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Cell phones are included in the survey. How they get them? Beats me.

If one has opted out of solicitation calls, I think these type of calls are regulated to be non-solicited, but I'm not sure.
But because they are not trying to sell anything, I think that is how they get around that.

The results are public once the radio station releases them.

Most who are called are willing to give this information. So the sample, IMO, is strong. However, the small sample can give some deceiving results, which us in the industry always fret about. The ups and downs are usually discarded, the trends tend to have much more attention paid to.
Thanks....

But those who have kept their out-of-state phone numbers aren't reachable, or at least I don't understand how.

Areas called- Rexburg, Jackson and Poky or more local? Can you say what you mean by trends? Likewise, can you give any examples of the ups and downs? If locals weren't listening to local radio vs. Internet or Satellite etc. -where would they go?

Thanks again . More will be posted but maybe tomorrow.

MSR

Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 PM

Yes. Small samples can skew results. It can take multiple surveys to see trends. However, if a station makes a major change, then the trends are thrown out the window.

Within the ratings area, my understanding is phones are called from Pocatello to Island Park. My understanding is these are "weighted" by population. Simply meaning the lower population areas will be weighted higher. It certainly is an inexact, and perhaps not accurate science.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Yes. Small samples can skew results. It can take multiple surveys to see trends. However, if a station makes a major change, then the trends are thrown out the window.

Within the ratings area, my understanding is phones are called from Pocatello to Island Park. My understanding is these are "weighted" by population. Simply meaning the lower population areas will be weighted higher. It certainly is an inexact, and perhaps not accurate science.
pw72,

But it seems to have picked accurately over the years. Yes, I've seen some of the Billboards. I usually laugh when I see WHERE they are placed. . I saw my first LED one (On Zions Bank sign) today.

Also, it seems like hit and miss of when ads are on tv. Do stations get to select the times and days? If not, I'm curious why one would be at 2:00 a.m. and many around the news. It also appears some stations may not place tv ads, or at least this early. Maybe they do in May.

That is a fairly long time to gather recall info. Would data be collected already and be an ongoing process? Or is data collected more at the end of the ratings prriod?

I think you said callers were asked all sorts of questions. Can you please be more specific or can you tell us? Will they take volunteers? J/k. I have some thoughts I'd love to share

I have some other questions but am not up to asking them now. Are you willing to answer more questions a different time?

And will you please look at my post about the efforts of Albertsons, Rock 94.9 and the Letter Carriers collecting food tomorrow? I need to make sure you can agree with what I wrote. If not, I need to know what I should ask Sage to remove. I also need to make sure you and I are okay and you understand why I posted what I did.:

Thanks PW

MSR

Old 04-11-2014, 09:45 PM

Obviously you are free to post whatever you want.

Don't know anything about 94.9 and their promotional efforts.

Don't know how they hire interviewers for ratings info.

I probably exagerraged the questions asked. Simply, do you work for a radio station in E. Idaho? Do you adverstise on a radio station in E. Idaho?. That's it. Then it is simply what stations do you listen to, and what time of day do you listen?

It's pretty darn simple. You can answer anyway you want. However, try to be accurate and simply answer in truth, whether it be KLCE, KUPI, or ARROW. (Of course, any other stations in the market that catch your fancy).

Old 04-11-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Obviously you are free to post whatever you want.

Don't know anything about 94.9 and their promotional efforts.

Don't know how they hire interviewers for ratings info.

I probably exagerraged the questions asked. Simply, do you work for a radio station in E. Idaho? Do you adverstise on a radio station in E. Idaho?. That's it. Then it is simply what stations do you listen to, and what time of day do you listen?

It's pretty darn simple. You can answer anyway you want. However, try to be accurate and simply answer in truth, whether it be KLCE, KUPI, or ARROW. (Of course, any other stations in the market that catch your fancy).
Do YOU understand why I think Albertsons and the letter carriers and anyone else that is involved in a food drive are important? I can not post it if you think my message was about you, because it isn't. You know what happens if I feel guilty or like I caused confusion.

Please read it if you haven't to make sure you don't feel like that message is a negative about you because I don't mean it that way.

msr

Old 04-12-2014, 02:21 PM

Question Colbert as Letterman's Replacement

What does everyone think of Stephen Colbert as Letterman's Replacement? With the bus schedule for INL and the time of our nightly news broadcasts, do you think many watch network late shows? If so, how do you think Colbert will do locally and nationally?

I have to say for me, this was a very, very early replacement announcement. I know Letterman said about a year, but I'm wondering if that year may start on Jan. 2, 2015. Any thoughts....anyone?

I do know the internal discussion at CBS is whether to move the show to L.A. Right now it's 50:50 if it's NYC or L.A.

The one who annoys me the most is Craig Ferguson. Perhaps I'm not intelligent enough to understand his humor, IDK.

Mike, you and I both agreed earlier that "modified Cable" could fill that spot. I don't know how much of the Cable Colbert will be the same on Broadcast/OTA tv. Just so I'm clear, to me Colbert's humor could change with the difference in Cable FCC rules vs. OTA Network, given the FCC's rules for OTA Network. I read an article Colbert even discussed that. If I can find it I'll post it. What does everyone think?

msr

Old 04-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Default Already Announcing Colbert to Leave Comedy Central's Colbert Behind

This isn't the story where Colbert spoke himself; however, I think it's interesting reports are on all types of websites that the Colbert we know on Comedy Central won't be on CBS.
Stephen Colbert Leaving Character Behind To Take Over David Letterman's Late-Night Spot - Forbes

Colbert said all the right things, but he and Fallon are pals. They've done a lot of combined gags etc. over the years. Any thoughts?

This is interesting. Colbert's contract ends 12/31/2014. Check out the story:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/11..._r=0&referrer=

Conan's POV:
Breaking, World, US & Local News - nydailynews.com - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls