Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrauber7 View Post
Do you know if the zoo is typically super crowded on the free day? I'm thinking it might be worth it for us to just pay the $14 for my husband and I in order to avoid the crowds, we would like to stroll and enjoy at a leisurely pace And I just looked up the corn maze, that looks like fun but I can't tell if it might be geared towards older children. Does anyone know if that's an appropriate activity with a one year old? Thanks everyone, for your input, we are headed down next Wednesday 9/24 and we can't wait! Might as well try this too, anyone have any recommendations for a hotel with a pool?
The Sleep Inn on I-15 exit 116 (Sunnyside Road) has an indoor pool, just had a look on Trip Advisor and they get good, recent, reviews.

As for how busy the zoo will be, that can be anyone's guess. It's the Saturday one week after Spud Days so that won't be a competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:04 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Cool Depends on Your Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
The Sleep Inn on I-15 exit 116 (Sunnyside Road) has an indoor pool, just had a look on Trip Advisor and they get good, recent, reviews.

As for how busy the zoo will be, that can be anyone's guess. It's the Saturday one week after Spud Days so that won't be a competition.
I second what Cleosmom said about searching on Trip Advisor for a hotel. With a one year old you may have different needs than some who visit (laundry onsite, kitchen or kitchenette, crib etc..) don't need. Find two or three that meet your needs and budget. Then ask here if you want.

The Holiday Inn always has families with kids of all ages and breakfast that most like. I don't know how advanced your little one is in diet. I know many if not all Holiday Inns have refrigerators and Microwaves in the rooms. The Hampton Inns have shifted a bit to business travelers more with prices to reflect it. Not sure about LaQuita, but it has an indoor pool and kitchens. Check with one of the lodging websites. I prefer Travel Adviser myself but that is just me. I also agree with Cleosmom about the Sleep Inn. Call them to make sure you reserve a crib or to ask about Microwaves, Fridges etc.

As for your question about the zoo, usually weekdays are less crowded simply because kids are in school. But who knows, some school could have a field trip scheduled that day. It depends on your budget and how long you think your little one can tolerate the zoo before a nap etc. You can always contact the zoo and tell them you're coming from out of state. Ask if they have discounted tickets during the week.

I thought of another kind of funky museum, given what they display. It's called the Collector's Corner Museum.
When I searched for it I noticed it was reviewed on Trip Advisor too. We are discouraged from postings those links here. At Trip Advisor look under attractions or what to do - - I can't remember what their website calls attractions. I saw that Collectors Corner was rated #4. Make sure it's ok for a one year old. http://www.visitidaho.org/m/attraction/?id=31682.

Oh, the Corn Mazes, would probably not be the best with a 1 yr. old. You'd need a stroller given the size and that could be difficult.

Check the weather. It's bizarre. We're going to be almost 90 tomorrow, which is unseasonably warm.

I hope you are getting excited to have a nice vacation.

MSR

Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 AM

7 posts, read 8,540 times
Great! Thank you. I'm excited to come down and check out the area, and I'm also excited to come back here and let you all know how it was!

Old 09-20-2014, 05:07 PM

Lightbulb The Museum of Idaho is Closed for a New Exhibit, until Sat.

Quote:
Great! Thank you. I'm excited to come down and check out the area, and I'm also excited to come back here and let you all know how it was!
That sounds good mrauber7.

I noticed in today's paper the NEW exhibit at the Museum of Idaho doesn't open until a week from today (Sat). I don't know if they will be open the day you plan on visiting or whether you'll still be in Idaho Falls on Sat.

Check with them, as they have great exhibits. It says on their page they are closed until 09/25 to change exhibits.

Just an FYI.

MSR

Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 PM

Default Weather

If your family is still here you got to experience some weather swings. I hope your trip was fun and safe.

MSR

Old 09-29-2014, 10:27 AM

7 posts, read 8,540 times
So, we only ended up spending 1 full day in Idaho Falls but it was lovely! We stayed at the Best Western Cotton Tree in their king suite for 2 nights, so we had our own full kitchen and 2 rooms. It was very affordable and the staff was pleasant. The pool was great for our little one; his first time in a pool and he loved it! We went to the zoo, it was not crowded and we had a very nice time. Little man loved the peacocks and hens running around and also the petting zoo, definitely a good activity for a 1 year old! We ate at Lucy's NY Pizzeria and we were very impressed! Wonderful pizza, very very friendly staff and a great family atmosphere. After dinner, we walked along the river down to the falls which was a quick walk out the back of the hotel. It was so pretty and the perfect ending to our quick little trip. We decided against a trip to the museum because we didn't think our son has the patience or the consideration for other patrons for that to be a good idea; maybe when he's a little older . We left right before the rain came so our weather was warm, sunny, and beautiful the entire time-a beautiful drive and a beautiful stay. Thank you, Idaho Falls, for having us, and thank you all for your helpful advice!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:01 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
So glad to hear your trip was enjoyable and that the weather held out for you. I don't blame you, the museum isn't really geared at kids your son's age, good choice.

Yes, the staff at Lucy's rocks. They expanded to UT, perhaps they will make it up your way?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
So, we only ended up spending 1 full day in Idaho Falls but it was lovely! We stayed at the Best Western Cotton Tree in their king suite for 2 nights, so we had our own full kitchen and 2 rooms. It was very affordable and the staff was pleasant. The pool was great for our little one; his first time in a pool and he loved it! We went to the zoo, it was not crowded and we had a very nice time. Little man loved the peacocks and hens running around and also the petting zoo, definitely a good activity for a 1 year old! We ate at Lucy's NY Pizzeria and we were very impressed! Wonderful pizza, very very friendly staff and a great family atmosphere. After dinner, we walked along the river down to the falls which was a quick walk out the back of the hotel. It was so pretty and the perfect ending to our quick little trip. We decided against a trip to the museum because we didn't think our son has the patience or the consideration for other patrons for that to be a good idea; maybe when he's a little older . We left right before the rain came so our weather was warm, sunny, and beautiful the entire time-a beautiful drive and a beautiful stay. Thank you, Idaho Falls, for having us, and thank you all for your helpful advice!
Glad you had fun. The hotel where you stayed is very reasonable and much cleaner than one that is south of it.

Now you'll have more to come back and see. The 4th of July is a very large celebration. As your little guy gets older, check the Idaho Falls Arts Council as they continue to add activities for even 2-3 years old at Roaring Youth Jam (in Aug.) And ARTitorium etc.
Colonial Theater, Willard Arts Center, ARTitorium on Broadway | Idaho Falls Arts Council

Thanks for writing. Other parents will benefit

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls