Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 11:19 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times

Advertisements

There's something to do in St. George; other than golf? (Vegas is a short distance.) And if you think UT does not get wind.....well....they do!

Enjoy those 110 degree days in July, with average of 102....

But if not happy where you live, then a person has to move. Can't be miserable. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 01:10 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freealex View Post
I have live in IF my entire life and am pretty miserable here. The weather here is never very nice and is usually always windy. I will be packing up and moving to st George Utah soon. Unless you like the snow and wind then move elsewhere. There is also nothing to do in this town. The only kind of cool thing is the green belt. Sorry for being negative but Its just hard for me to understand why someone would want to move here. Pocatello is a little better in my opinion because it's closer to the mountains.
Freealex,

Have you talked with the dozens who have done the same and returned to Idaho Falls? There are some who winter in Dixie or NV.

Like f5 wrote, St. George has weather! I have been in St. George every month of the year for > 5 yrs. I worked on a state contract that required monthly clinics. I think the hottest I personally experienced was 113. Summer is usually 106. There absolutely is wind in Dixie. The last time I flew there the plane did a 1,000 ft. drop due to the wind. May and Aug. are especially bad. Flash floods happen in the summer months and maybe a couple of others. I'm sure your realtor told you where that happens.

I don't blame you for looking forward to your move. If you can't see what there is to do in Idaho Falls, we're all better off when you move. There are a lot of clinically depressed people who are equally unhappy, as you, with wherever they moved from now living in St. George. With maybe two psychiatrists, currently, not many who are clinically depressed get seen. The three psychiatrists I knew all left.

Additionally, laws are different in UT about how PAs and NPs can practice compared to Idaho. I'd encourage you to find a primary care physician ASAP. Dixie got their first neurosurgeon ever last summer. Idaho Falls had one in the 70s. But care has improved in Dixie.

You didn't say if you work or not. Employment, beyond fast food can be an issue for new residents. I'm impressed if you could get a house. I hope you find what you are looking for and that you are happy with all that is there. It's not my job to tell you the negatives, and some may have to be experienced to really understand. As long as you are happy that is all that matters.

Good luck!

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 05-01-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 09:00 PM

434 posts, read 417,031 times
Quote:
I have live in IF my entire life and am pretty miserable here. The weather here is never very nice and is usually always windy. I will be packing up and moving to st George Utah soon. Unless you like the snow and wind then move elsewhere. There is also nothing to do in this town. The only kind of cool thing is the green belt. Sorry for being negative but Its just hard for me to understand why someone would want to move here. Pocatello is a little better in my opinion because it's closer to the mountains.
I hate to pick on you freealax but if you cant be happy where your at, you cant be happy anywhere. Its pretty sad when a geographical location can determine your happiness. I promise you the grass is not greener. I was a lot like that as a teenager. I also grew up around here. After I traveled a lot of the country and grew up more, I decided there is no place I'd rather be than Idaho falls. And I've lived in some desirable locations (generally speaking)

But to better answer the question of the thread, I agree pocatello is more scenic (in town anyway). But personally I think IF has it beat with very nice paved walking/running paths around a very scenic river. Shopping and dining is more diverse. So i wish you none but luck on your approaching move.

Last edited by Theotherdude; 05-02-2015 at 09:28 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 08:11 PM

102 posts, read 244,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
There's something to do in St. George; other than golf? (Vegas is a short distance.) And if you think UT does not get wind.....well....they do!

Enjoy those 110 degree days in July, with average of 102....

But if not happy where you live, then a person has to move. Can't be miserable. Good luck.
Loads of outdoor stuff to do in st George. But if one isn't into hiking and stuff like that then it's probably not very appealing. I've been there a couple times so I know what to expect. To each their own.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
I hate to pick on you freealax but if you cant be happy where your at, you cant be happy anywhere. Its pretty sad when a geographical location can determine your happiness. I promise you the grass is not greener. I was a lot like that as a teenager. I also grew up around here. After I traveled a lot of the country and grew up more, I decided there is no place I'd rather be than Idaho falls. And I've lived in some desirable locations (generally speaking)

But to better answer the question of the thread, I agree pocatello is more scenic (in town anyway). But personally I think IF has it beat with very nice paved walking/running paths around a very scenic river. Shopping and dining is more diverse. So i wish you none but luck on your approaching move.
Don't get me wrong it's a decent place to live for the most part, low crime, good place to raise a family and everything. The wilderness in Idaho is very beautiful if you're willing to drive a little bit. I've been some other places and I know there's places I would be happier. I used to like snowboarding and stuff when I was a kid but now that I'm older I just realize that i would rather live somewhere a little warmer. I never leave the house in the winter unless I have to and sometimes I just feel like I'm wasting my life.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Freealex,

Have you talked with the dozens who have done the same and returned to Idaho Falls? There are some who winter in Dixie or NV.

Like f5 wrote, St. George has weather! I have been in St. George every month of the year for > 5 yrs. I worked on a state contract that required monthly clinics. I think the hottest I personally experienced was 113. Summer is usually 106. There absolutely is wind in Dixie. The last time I flew there the plane did a 1,000 ft. drop due to the wind. May and Aug. are especially bad. Flash floods happen in the summer months and maybe a couple of others. I'm sure your realtor told you where that happens.

I don't blame you for looking forward to your move. If you can't see what there is to do in Idaho Falls, we're all better off when you move. There are a lot of clinically depressed people who are equally unhappy, as you, with wherever they moved from now living in St. George. With maybe two psychiatrists, currently, not many who are clinically depressed get seen. The three psychiatrists I knew all left.

Additionally, laws are different in UT about how PAs and NPs can practice compared to Idaho. I'd encourage you to find a primary care physician ASAP. Dixie got their first neurosurgeon ever last summer. Idaho Falls had one in the 70s. But care has improved in Dixie.

You didn't say if you work or not. Employment, beyond fast food can be an issue for new residents. I'm impressed if you could get a house. I hope you find what you are looking for and that you are happy with all that is there. It's not my job to tell you the negatives, and some may have to be experienced to really understand. As long as you are happy that is all that matters.

Good luck!

MSR
I know it snows a couple times a year down there but I heard it doesn't stick for too long. As for getting a job I would work as a medical laboratory scientist at the hospital there.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:34 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
I have hiked extensively in southern UT, and I off-roaded extensively on roads that you probably would not even consider.
You have been there a couple times....WOW! I actually pulled some details to St. George and probably, in total, lived there for about 9 months. And my job took me out to the hinterlands to place most will not go, and for a good reason. And, as a person who loves the outdoors, I moved north to ID for a different climate vs. that in southern UT. And for outdoor stuff, there is just as much to do in this area, as there is in St. George. (Now if talking serious off-roading, then you can't beat Moab UT and the surrounding areas. But I have given that up for other hobbies.)

It's a beautiful area; no doubt. Summers are busy as heck and like noted before hot and dry (dry is better than humid), but they can get some killer storms that can cause havoc in the area. SLC residents call it Dixie and that reason is heat.

And I noticed in the UT threads, which I still visit, you are now asking about costs of living and if your future "possible" salary, as well as your boyfriend's possible salary will be sufficient, etc. Honestly, you might want to do more research, but, you are still young, so you have time to learn. And being young, you can always move on after a time.

But medical care sucks, as it does in all southern UT towns; but choppers get you to SLC, Phoenix or possibly Vegas in no time, so make sure you have great insurance where you get your job. Of course, chances are medical will not be a problem unless accidents are in your future. But you never know. (And honestly, I have lived in places where the nearest hospital was a mud hut...so St. George Hospitals would have looked great.)

So move, and have fun. The only reason I entered this thread because of your reply of leaving ID Falls due to wind, only to move to an area that at times can have wind that makes ID Falls wind look like a house fan.

So enjoy yourself, and being the person I am...I don't care if you are happy in ID Falls or St. George or any future place. It is your life, live it the way you want, I really could care less!!!!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:47 PM

I don't know why people are concerned about me. More people should answer the OPs questions. I think Pocatello is slightly better than IF. IF has a better mall (the mall in Chubbock is lame) and IF has the green belt which is nice. Pocatello is usually warmer by only a few degrees and is closer to mountains which I like more. I drive to Pocatello to go to ISU and it just seems like a cooler town than IF.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:09 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
I don't know why people are concerned about me. More people should answer the OPs questions. I think Pocatello is slightly better than IF. IF has a better mall (the mall in Chubbock is lame) and IF has the green belt which is nice. Pocatello is usually warmer by only a few degrees and is closer to mountains which I like more. I drive to Pocatello to go to ISU and it just seems like a cooler town than IF.
By answering your post, the OP is probably learning more truth in both the pros and cons of living here than those of us who are content with I.F. could probably ever say.

I was like you when I was young. So were a lot of kids my age, and a lot of them uprooted for California, where they settled down in contented lives. At least contented enough that they stuck and never moved back here.

I got out and saw the world courtesy of Uncle Sam's Navy. I spent considerable time in quite a few other places that I liked just fine, and I'm sure I could have made a life in any of them. Most were in the U.S., but not all.

But when I came back, seriously considering those other places faded away. Even when I got a few tempting offers, I mostly passed them up, but I did move away briefly to a few other states. I found that living in them was just not as easy or comfortable as life is here for me. I've never thought life in Idaho Falls is extra special in any way, but it's nice to have some lifelong friends, and its nice to know where my little joys and happinesses are found here. That's something that only time brings.

You don't have to be a hermit here. Or anywhere. But if you have the itch to go see the wider world, go for it now while you are young. If idaho Falls can't pull you back, there is nothing wrong or right about that- it only means you found the place that is probably the best for you, or that you still need to keep looking.

Restlessness can become habitual, though. I know people who are chronically afflicted with it, and none of them have led happy lives, except for one guy who just loved to travel. He came here to work at the site, and would make a pile of money, living on the cheap here, and then would spend it roaming the world. After a few years, he'd come back again to do it all again.

Even he finally settled down, back in Seattle, his home town. He died from chronic malaria a long time ago, but he was peaceful in his last days, living in a marsh just outside the city limits he bought cheap because nobody else wanted it. Nowadays, everyone in Seattle wants it. It's the last wild place for miles in any direction that's close to town.

Changing the scenery often does not change the insides of a person. You will always carry wherever you live around with you for the rest of your life. Try hard to avoid discontent, and try hard to find happiness wherever it can be found.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:36 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Freelax,

Today should be your Commencement. First, congratulations on graduating from college! A wonderful accomplishment in your first 23 years. And I think it is terrific you have essentially no debt. Someone taught you important lessons you learned. I hope you can have a an open mind as you read this post.

In the future, I would suggest you clarify to the OP you aren't a grandparent with grown children, you are younger than the adult children the OP has. That doesn't mean your experience and perception of living at home while completing college doesn't have merit. Your opinion counts as much as any person's viewpoint; however, the OP and other readers will be able to determine which posters have had life experiences that are closest to what the OP has or would know things you can't know yet, given your age and path to this point. It's disingenuous to post and omit as much as you did here but posted in the St. George forum. Be honest, people will think more of you.

Now back to your life, career and move. Have you passed your certification exam yet? Perhaps you don't understand the business connections between Idaho Falls and St. George. Plus, somehow it seems you didn't think any of us knew the answers to your questions. Whatever your reasons, you'll get caught in omission lies, like you were here. That won't help advance your career.

Perhaps you were concerned we do know the answers and by posting accurate details in this thread too, we would ask you important questions. Some might think you somehow assumed what all of us would write or ask, which is impossible. The sad part of that is some of us might have connections we were willing to share. It seems like you thought we might tell you to remain in Idaho Falls and I suspect we all are supportive of you moving away from home and supporting yourself. You are just beginning life as a young adult still at home, and apparently your boyfriend of 9 years, is continuing with you, wherever your path takes you.

My advice to you is move away, Please Move Away!! I did to complete college and another grad degree and to work.. But please don't embarrass yourself, your ISU classmates and Instructors, and maybe even some family or friends who let you live at home and maybe helped in other ways while you got your college degree. Humility and gratitude are traits successful employees often have. Saying thanks to those who have let you progress to this decision point in your life is good manners, respectful and tells others a lot about you.

It is important to be accurate in your research when asking about jobs and living expenses. IDK what reference you used to estimate your $50,000 annual salary, in a St. George hospital medical lab. I can't find any source that confirms your estimate of that salary for a new, Bachelor's Level grad. Live where you want and can get any job, but realize I've worked for IHC more years than you were in college, I know how they recruit and post open positions. I knew what it meant about six weeks ago when IHC contacted me and asked me to apply for a job at Primary Children's Medical Center (Non- lab).

You must have other income if you believe you will make about $50,000 in St. George as a Bachelor's Level MLS, because you won't earn that from IHC. BTW, my Undergrad degree qualifies me to work as a MLS too. Beginning employees, especially without certification, don't earn $50K annually at DRMC. Do you need state licensure to work in a lab in Utah? Check indeed.com salaries for St. George. The MEDIAN was about $33,000 and that would include Masters levels who have many years working as well as newbies like you.

I looked at the IHC jobs and wondered when you completed your required forms and uploaded your CV? There are some MLS jobs posted on IHC'S website. However, one never knows if there are other students they had in mind when posting those jobs. I'm sure you realize you are competing with grads from USU, Weber ' s nationally known MLS program, the U. Of Utah ' s big program, potentially SLC Comm. College grads, UVU, BYU - PROVO - also a highly regarded program and potentially grads from Snow College, Southern Utah and Dixie State. I have no way to know how many graduated in 2015 and you may be the best pick; however, who knows you and your work at DRMC? From which universities does DRMC allow students to perform internships in those facilities? IHC is the only game in town in Southern Utah south of Payson. So you would be well served to learn a lot about IHC and DRMC. For example, how come DRMC has two locations in St. George and which patients go to River Rd. Vs. the other location? What is the reason few adult patients will be flown to SLC instead of a different IHC Hospital, from DRMC? What is the name and location of that hospital? Please feel free to tell me if you can currently. I'm not being unfair to you, if you are going to compete for a job at DRMC, others who apply will know those answers and more about IHC.

And remember, social media posts count, even these, to potential employer. You share your opinion how terrible Idaho Falls is, from your perspective as a 23 y.o., what if the person you interview with loves working in Idaho Falls? Be thinking of your answers now and how your boyfriend of 9 years is aware you are planning on him getting a job for the amount you listed. Does he have contacts in St. George? Don't doubt that HR or managers check social media, they do. M.D. Anderson Hospital in TX asked me to interview for an open position. I didn't because the salary wasn't adequate for Houston and my level of experience. But M. D. Anderson invited me to interview.....that is a big deal, given M.D. Anderson ' s ranking. They absolutely reviewed my social media posts.

I know, being a former IHC employee, what IHC managers will do if they see your expected salary to be about $50K. You probably don't realize how much you reveal when you think you'll make 50K as a new Bachelor's Level graduate starting at DRMC, who is 23 y.o., if you were offered a job there. Even those who responded in the Utah forum told you to get connected with the hospital ASAP. Have you?

What I don't know is how much is you being so desperate to leave home for the first time you'll write information that isn't true so you'll somehow convince yourself or others of information that isn't factual, putting yourself at risk. I don't think you are a bad person for wanting to leave your home, that is normal. We all left the homes of our parents. I do think you aren't prepared for this step the way you should be to write what you did. Consider these following options for yourself, please, before you post more:

1. I'd encourage you to decide if you want to pursue your Masters. Then find which universities offer it. Move to where they are and try to get a job with a hospital. If there is an IHC Hospital in a community where you can get your Masters, try to get a job with IHC facility. Big hint, they like to hire known people, regardless of the specialty or department. You could pursue your Master's and work hopefully at an IHC facility.

2. If you don't want to pursue your Masters, then see if you can get an IHC lab job anywhere. Maybe there are opportunities at Cassia, IDK.

3. Get whatever IHC job you can in whatever city you can. Move there as an interim step. It isn't highly likely that DRMC will have your perfect job waiting for you without other new grads, some of whom may have worked at DRMC already, also applying. If your true goal is to work in St. George, you either have to get hired by an IHC Hospital and do well enough in that system so you can apply for a medical lab job at DRMC and have a viable chance of getting it.

4. Or you and your boyfriend can move to St. George and get whatever jobs are available. Then somehow you can figure out how to introduce yourself to the lab staff at DRMC.

5. Think of what matters the most at this point. Potentially it is leaving home and being on your own now, or other. Decide what you can now control in your life and how to work for the goals you have.

Living at home has some positives, such as the no debt at graduation. Now it is time to use your education and make the best decisions you can for your future. I hope you can move soon and I hope both you and your boyfriend find jobs and pursue your education, if that is what you want. Does your boyfriend attend college? If so what does he need to graduate? It would be important that a University and location offers classes you both need, if you both pursue more education.

Good luck in the job search. I'm confident you'll take time to reassess your options. Understand very clearly, none of us here will be worse off if you move to St. George and work at whatever job you can get or if you move somewhere else. You are responsible for your own happiness just like you are responsible for getting a job and living in an apartment you and your boyfriend can afford. Hopefully, you will be more thoughtful in the future with what you write openly.

Wishing you the best for your next 23 years of life.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls