Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:16 PM

434 posts, read 417,161 times

Advertisements

I don't know how much can be done by next august. Hotels still need to get through city planning & council meetings and such. I suppose they could possibly be rushed thru the process. Who knows? Maybe the recent activity in SRL could be for another hotel. It still seems like very short order to have anything open by then even if ground was broken this month. That seemed to be a lot of the concern was for the Blue Angels show and the 17 eclipse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:47 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
I don't know how much can be done by next august. Hotels still need to get through city planning & council meetings and such. I suppose they could possibly be rushed thru the process. Who knows? Maybe the recent activity in SRL could be for another hotel. It still seems like very short order to have anything open by then even if ground was broken this month. That seemed to be a lot of the concern was for the Blue Angels show and the 17 eclipse.
I agree with you, Theotherdude. I guess part of what I was wondering is at least two I.F. hotels had plans a year ago to add on to existing facilities. If a hotel were to add < 50 rooms split maybe between two floors, does that take as long as starting from scratch? Or could some additional rooms possibly be completed faster? The owners need to do them right, so no shortcuts. I'll bet they are kicking themselves now for not going ahead with the additions last year.

As for new hotels, I suspect we'll see more than just the two at Jackson Hole Junction. And I wouldn't be surprised if another Hilton property gets started in 2017.

I decided to post this under REDI because sometimes some may not understand the total picture. We now have data that ~ 1/3 of tourists visit the Zoo. So knowing tourism is an economic driver in the Idaho Falls area, do we encourage the City to explore the option of an Aquarium from the company that has approached them? I say yes from a couple of reasons: They seem to think it would be located at Tautphaus Park with the Zoo. I'm with tmp4 (see City of Idaho Falls City Council thread), I don't know if having all the zoo open year round is worth the cost. But maybe a new zoo building close to where the Aquarium would go would be a win-win. Potentially some new animals could be added. If they could be indoors during the winter, residents and tourists would have another option of something fun to do in winter.

As we think of our multiplier dollars that come to our area, new restaurants, stores, shops and things for families, couples and singles to do can easily extend a tourist's vacations another day. We become more of a Destination City as southern MT and western WY don't have zoos and count Tautphaus as their "home zoo." I doubt they have aquariums either. Another 1/3 of those visiting the zoo came from within the region with locals making up the second third and tourists completing the last third of who visits the zoo (those numbers are rough - - one group was 39% and another 31%). However, I would have never guessed 1/3 of tourists visit the Zoo as the second or third highest attraction behind the Greenbelt and Museum of Idaho.

We need to think of other things for couples and singles to do too, IMO.

I hope REDI will help those hesitant to get the extra hotel rooms, or even new hotels built get moving on these projects faster. The Events Center will bring in more people for trade shows and other expos etc., plus the entertainment. The more guests can be offered in choices the higher the probability they will stay additional time or return for other activities. Maybe REDI could help bring in some businesses that provide couples and singles more choices too.

There are some cool things happening in 2017. Perhaps REDI could help get some restaurants and an IMAX here, though an IMAX is already being discussed.

What ideas does everyone have about atractions? Oh tmp4, I might know the reason about a nice clubhouse at the golf course. Apparently the course was built over a lot of difficult to blast rock. It might cost a small fortune to build a building like you mentioned. So what could be a good, different option? Sandcreek Crossing II isn't that far away. Maybe a nice relaxing clubhouse type of bar/restaurant there? I've honestly been surprised no coffee shop has opened there yet.

Any other ideas of what you think our economic drivers are. Maybe trucking is going to become another. If so, how does an area develop amenities and attractions or things truck drivers will buy?

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 09-14-2016 at 01:03 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 10:08 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Default Biz fest on 9/15; Job Fest As Well

Tomorrow will be the annual Bizfest at Keefer's Island Convention Center from 9:00 -4:00. There is no charge to attend. Also, the 17th Annual Job Fest is being held. I'm pleased to see many additional Idaho Falls companies participating this year, such as, Northwest Cosmetics. With their physical expansion they have a total of 500 employees. The Dept. of Labor worked with Northwest to award them large training grant. Basically the training gave current employees the opportunities to learn new skills and get better jobs within the company. They need more employees and are one of many lcoal cmpanies seking additional employees.

REDI has a roll with existing business too. Several are expanding due to increased business both domestic and abroad. One of the newest commercials on tv now is for a product created in Idaho Falls. The company had to move into one of the former Batelle Buildings on Lindsey Blvd. as more space was needed to fulfill orders from their U.S. & International customers.

Bizfest can be further review here: Eastern Idaho BizFest.

Let us know how it was if you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls